Thread: 3-gun questions

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

3-gun questions

Give you a little background first. Ive been shooting NRA/CMP matches since 2001 when I was still in High School as our HS had a Small Bore and a High Power team. I shot at numerous CMP matches at the local CMP range during those years, and at Camp Perry 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004. I havnt shot a match since, as I picked up other hobbies during the recent years. Im coming back to the competition shooting scene and am just looking for a little info.

My first question:

3 gun sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. But what should a rookie "3-gunner" compete in first? Limited or Tactical? I have a SPR that I could throw the Side Irons on and use for Tactical, and I could always use my A2 Bushy that I shot CMP/NRA with for Limited(that Bushy is the same as it was right out of the box, no changes)

2nd question:

Where can I find matches that are relatively close(2-3hour drive max) to North East Indiana (Fort Wayne area)
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd recommend shooting in either Limited or Tactical. If you already have a red dot or low powered scope by all means shoot in Tactical.

To find out about matches in your area and around the U.S. check out the Multi-gun section of the Brian Enos forums at http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    thanks alot!
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If you opt for "tactical" aka Tac Optics, I would SKIP the side irons.

If you have more questions, fire away!
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    reason I was wondering about side irons is because the gun Im wanting to use for Tactical is also my "SPR" build. Ive got a 3-9x40 Burris scope on it and Id rather not replace it with a 1-4 optic as I use this gun for more than just 3 gun. Just curious about running the JP side irons on it so I can use it for both.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    reason I was wondering about side irons is because the gun Im wanting to use for Tactical is also my "SPR" build. Ive got a 3-9x40 Burris scope on it and Id rather not replace it with a 1-4 optic as I use this gun for more than just 3 gun. Just curious about running the JP side irons on it so I can use it for both.
    At a lot of matches you'll find that the 3-9x will be slower than a lower powered scope. Since going to a true 1-4x Burris I've since removed the close range irons on my Tactical 3gun rifle. I moved them over to my Limited rifle because that rifle will soon have NM iron sights which are also very slow up close.

Ideally you could buy a 1-4x scope use a good mount like a Bobro, ADM or LaRue and use a mount like this on your SPR with the 3-9x. Sight in both and you shouldn't lose zero switching between the two.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    hummmm...... now thats an interesting thought. Ill look into that more.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

----------------------

----------------------