Thread: Need some build Help.

Feedback Score

Need some build Help.

Hey Yall,

Happy Belated Turkey Day haha. Anyway i have a Stripped Stag Lower that i bought in the summer to have for a build. Now what i would like to do money permitting and wife permitting is to build a precision AR-15 capable of 5-600 meter shooting. I've watched some videos on the Army's SDM rifle , I like the results from that but would want a custom look to it. What im basically looking to get out my fellow board members is either a parts breakdown on what to use for a quality precision rifle and if anyone has expierence with the Army's SDm rifle and specs on those would be greatly appreciated. I know for the stock i do want to put the magpul PRS stock on.

Dan
    Last edited by codman; 11-29-09 at 07:38. Reason: Error on print
    To All those that serve either Law/Military I thank you for you service!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by codman View Post
    Hey Yall,

Happy Belated Turkey Day haha. Anyway i have a Stripped Stag Lower that i bought in the summer to have for a build. Now what i would like to do money permitting and wife permitting is to build a precision AR-15 capable of 1000 yard shooting. I've watched some videos on the Army's SDM rifle , I like the results from that but would want a custom look to it. What im basically looking to get out my fellow board members is either a parts breakdown on what to use for a quality precision rifle and if anyone has expierence with the Army's SDm rifle and specs on those would be greatly appreciated. I know for the stock i do want to put the magpul PRS stock on.

Dan
    1000 yards huh? You may want give 6.5 Grendel a look.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

ar10 posible

I would agree 6.5 could be a better choice may be pricey to shoot.

Would an AR-10 be an option?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    IMHO, the 5.56 is too small to expect any reasonable consistency at 1,000 yards -- it just cannot stand up to the wind.

Even .308 match groups from a 20" heavy bbl bolt gun starts to really come apart around 600 yards, so IMHO, such a small caliber for that distance would be unrealistic.

Not saying it cannot be done (although it's pretty close to what I AM saying) -- your gun will just be anything but "precision" at the end of the day, even with a PRS stock on it...

6.5 and 6.8 are somewhat better at that distance -- but if you're serious about 1K shooting, you're going to have to step up.

Sorry.

YMMV
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    ok so i defenitely mis judged the distance i did some reading and now its for 500-600 meters . Realize that 1000 yards was a very far distance for the .22 caliber projectile even with a good hand load. I was reading my Guns / Ammo Book of the Ar-15 and in there is a article on a .308 win caliber AR platform rifle it is the
    DPMS LRT-SASS I would think that would be a killer rifle but not sure what parts are around to build one. I think i would rather start off with what i have and build from that .
    To All those that serve either Law/Military I thank you for you service!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    1,000 yards is a religious experience.

I once saw a guy take three shots and get three body hits (about 18" spread) at that distance and was truly amazed, as that is superb shooting. I'm sure there are others who can make that happen, but I ain't one of them.

.300 WM, .338 Lap and of course, .50 BMG are much better performers at 1,000 yards (there are others, but those are some of the favorites). The .50 BMG club guys like to use bed sheets for targets.

IMHO, the relatively short length of the AR magwell reduces your options significantly as to reaching 1K. If long distance precision is your goal, 5.56/.223 isn't really the right tool for that job.

If you're just punching paper, you can probably get it to work out to 600 or so on some non-windy days, but for terminal ballistic performance, I tend to think of the .223 as being reasonably effective up to just about 130 yards, before you're just drilling .22 caliber holes.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You could always go for a .50 upper...