Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range / Practice ammo resources.

Feedback Score

Range / Practice ammo resources.

I am curious as to what folks favorite choice for range/practice ammo is?
    What are you personally finding to use that works well in 9mm, .45, .223/5.56??? Sources?
    What have you personally found to not work?
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I am curious as to what folks favorite choice for range/practice ammo is?
    What are you personally finding to use that works well in 9mm, .45, .223/5.56??? Sources?
    What have you personally found to not work?
    Personally I shoot whatever I can get the cheapest in 9mm or .45 ACP, but I prefer to use most anything other than Wolf, or aluminum cased Blazer ammo. (I've never used the aluminum cased Blazer, but I don't know how my weapons would react to it so I skip it anyway...) I will use WWB ammo, but I try to find something better as it tends to shoot dirty and I have run into a few unprimed rounds in it. I prefer getting my hands on American Eagle ammo if I can, with PMC a distant second.

In 5.56 I try to get all the XM193 I can get as training ammo. I will supplement this with American Eagle .223 or PMC .223 if I can't get the XM193.

In 7.62x39 I shoot (well....collect is probably a more appropriate term since I hardly ever shoot my 7.62x39 weapons....) Wolf ammo primarily...but I recently ordered some of that Golden Tiger ammo from AIM Surplus, and it seems to be very good stuff. I will burn through about 500 rounds of it this weekend in the Vickers AK class...

I have been fortunate, I guess, in that my weapons don't really care what I feed them.

Feedback Score
    Like you, my weapons tend to shoot pretty much anything. My problem as of late, has just been finding much of ANYTHING.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    I have only used WWB for pistols with one exception since ~April 2005. The one exception was 250 rounds of UMC I used when I bought my M&P, and that was because the Gander Mountain had no WWB.

As for rifle, I hate to say this, but whatever I can get the cheapest. I haven't used Wolf since ~March 2005. I have used XM193, Georgia Arms, Winchester .223, and now I'm using UMC .223. It's too damn expensive to be very picky these days, but I won't use Georgia Arms again.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I should add that I don't use reman ammo EVER in my weapons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I should add that I don't use reman ammo EVER in my weapons.
    I don't either...any more.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    For handgun ammo give Atlanta Arms and Ammo a shot. They currently make ammo for the Army Marksmanship Unit and the Glock team.

I haven't ordered from them since I started reloading this time last year but his prices on 40 and 45 at the time were cheaper than the price of Winchester's value packs at Walmart.

Danny is a great guy to deal with and over the course of two years I probably burned through 30,000 rounds of his ammo and only had two problems with his 147 grain 9MM. The rest ran through my guns like a champ.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up ammo

i use winchester white box for 9mm and .556 with good results.

i have tried and used over 10,000 rds of 9mm 115 f.m.j. remanufactured ammo from cabela's, called ultramax with no problems. very cheap.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    Monarch for AK.
    American Eagle for the AR15s (55 gr).
    Winchester Q4172 for the 9mm.

Sportsman's Warehouse for the AE, when they have it. Academy Sports for the other two.

The only remanufactured I shoot is blue box Black Hills. Unfortunately, it is rarer these days than I like. 68 and 75 gr were what I used out of my precision ARs, which now go unshot, since I can't get ammo for them.

A coming AWB 2.0 won't matter much if we can't get good ammo to shoot.

BTW, I've personally witnessed Hunting Shack Munitions (HSM) and Ultramax (sold in the Cabela's dry box) blow up two ARs in the last year. The HSM blew up a Bushmaster M4, and the Ultramax blew up a SLR15. The shooters were not injured, and both ammo companies stepped up to the plate and fixed the guns.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have always just used m855, but now have a source for the Hornady 75gr TAP (practice) so that is what I will be shooting from now on.

C4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast