Thread: Thoughts on mixing boo-boo and trauma kits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thoughts on mixing boo-boo and trauma kits

I'm talking about for a car or a range kit. Obviously on the one hand it's easier to have it all in one bag, but on the other hand you're more likely to be going into the bag for things like burn gel from brass burns and moleskin for blisters and band aids for paper cuts.

Are there kits/bags on the market that adequately separate the two? Maybe into halves or something? And which side should be the more readily accessible, the trauma stuff or the booboo? I can see an argument for making the booboo stuff more accessible so that the trauma supplies don't get disturbed, but then you have to take that extra second or two to get to them when it really matters while someone could easily wait for a band aid.

One thought I had was a tool box with a removable tool tray on top. Put the sissy stuff on top and the serious stuff on the bottom. That way there's no reason for someone to go digging around and disturbing the serious stuff since they'll see the sissy stuff right on top.

Are there bags out there that have two sides and that can be clearly labeled "trauma only" on one side and "sissy" on the other?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rob,

I really like the military first responder med bags for range use. You can buy them used on ebay for cheap, or new copies for around 20 bucks.

You can use the top section for your boo boo kit.

When I go to the range, I hang it up high behind me and let anyone near me know what it is. I really should mark the outside of it with a red cross. If I get shot, I don't want my last images of life being some guy admiring my nice bug out bag.

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like the concept, and see lots of copies online. I would kind of prefer a more "open" series of pouches so that things can be more easily found without digging.

That's one thing I like about the tool box idea. Everything on the top shelf should be immediately visible and obvious as to what it is. I'd leave everything in it's boxes/packaging. Obviously this solution weighs more than a nylon bag and is less easily moved around.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The design is of the old "Unit 1" from the Vietnam Era and is a very efficient setup.

If you're interested you can get a fully stocked one here...
    http://www.qm-supply.com/zenstore/in...products_id=66
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a red plastic tool box I'm using to build a home kit. It has some storage built into each end of the lid with clear plastic covers. One one side I put some commonly used items like band-aids and a thermometer. On the other side for the time being I've put a bloodstopper dressing.

I also have two of the 5.11 Tactical medical bags. It is about 6x6" and can be attached to molle gear if you want. It unzips to show two sides, covered by zippered mesh panels. You could put the serious stuff on one side and the everyday stuff on the other. They come in black, OD, and tan: I think they should also offer them in red. I've got one attached to a rifle case and the other rides in my car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use several TT FRBs. The zipper pouch on the top of the bag is excellent for boo-boo items. The lid to the main compartment unzips and folds back allowing full access to the inside. Large enough to be really useful, small enough to go anywhere. The newest version is also covered in PALS on the outside, allowing attachement of accessory pouches to expand capacity if needed.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/firstresponderbag.aspx

Recommended.

Having boo-boo items separate, or readily separable, is handy.
    Last edited by ST911; 12-01-09 at 09:44.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Something like the BattleLab LLMO – Low Level Medical Operator Bagseems like it might be a good solution, although I'm not exactly sure if this is too big, and it's certainly pretty pricey.

Or even something like a smaller (and hopefully much less expensive) version of the Blackhawk S.T.O.M.P. 2 Medical Coverage Bag (Jumpable) where you could put sissy stuff in the outer pouch, trauma stuff in the inner.

Last edited by rob_s; 12-01-09 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I like the concept, and see lots of copies online. I would kind of prefer a more "open" series of pouches so that things can be more easily found without digging.
    I have the larger medical equipment bag and label each compartment with tape. Still have some digging, but its minimized.