Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ancillary Training: Land-Nav, Medical, Field Craft

Feedback Score
    I have thought about this topic as well. There are so many skills that could come in handy should the SHTF. The ones you have mentioned of course but also consider things like; mechanics to keep cars/generators running, ropecraft for climbing/rappelling, horsemanship, electronics (fix that radio), etc. I know that there is only so much that one person can learn and basic survival skills should be at the top, but the fact of the matter is that we all depend on other people to truly "survive" over the long haul and our individual skills and expertise can all become very important. Learn something new as often as you can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I have thought about this topic as well. There are so many skills that could come in handy should the SHTF. The ones you have mentioned of course but also consider things like; mechanics to keep cars/generators running, ropecraft for climbing/rappelling, horsemanship, electronics (fix that radio), etc. I know that there is only so much that one person can learn and basic survival skills should be at the top, but the fact of the matter is that we all depend on other people to truly "survive" over the long haul and our individual skills and expertise can all become very important. Learn something new as often as you can.
    I agree 100%. That is actually what I was wanting to do except you took it a step further which I really like. Knowledge is the ultimate asset in any situation! I was thinking more practical survival training than just reading time with a stick but basic skills that I have the next person might not and vice versa. What we need to do is make a curriculum and establish how long this is going to be, etc.....keep the ideas flowing!

Feedback Score
    not sure if this was covered, but im thinking water purification and storage, food gathering. shelter making, scavaging for supplies, security, establishing command, and communications are some skills that would come into play in a SHTF senario.
    Last edited by ducky; 10-15-10 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    I realize this is an older thread but I'm within an hour of Columbus and would love to know if this got off the ground..and would love to get involved to join what's already being done if so. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Way outside of your AO, but I'll recommend for land nav looking for the local orienteering club. They usually have a free/low cost intro workshop every quarter, or a month before a big event if they host one.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
    I realize this is an older thread but I'm within an hour of Columbus and would love to know if this got off the ground..and would love to get involved to join what's already being done if so. Thanks.
    Have you looked in to volunteering with a group like the Ohio Special Response Team or the OH-1 FEMA team? Both significantly help build skills in these areas. The OH-1 will help you grow if you already have several years experience as a professional, technical rescuer. OSRT will help you build skills if yours are at a minimum or an advanced level. (I'm on an OSRT unit. I was on Morrow County, now I'm on Licking County. Most people are police, fire, EMS or military coming in, but we do have a few people who come in with few or no skills...it's serious training, though. Not something simple like a CERT team)
    Director of Training for Task Force Special Operations - a private security company

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12