Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst batch of Wolf primers ever

Feedback Score

Worst batch of Wolf primers ever

Tons of 223 brass sitting around, so I ordered 8K Wolf magnums through Wideners. Did a little plinking with the kids while visiting family and kept having malfunctions left and right. Didn't think much about it as I was clearing rounds to get them back shooting. Get home, start digging through what was picked up, and out of the 100-150 rounds fired 15 of them have deeply dimpled primers that didn't go bang.

This was out of my ADS Alpha that has had 2K or so rounds through it and that has never failed to ignite everything I'm thrown at it. Powder was the same jug of N135 that I've shot 500 or so out of with no issue. The only change being the new Wolf primers. I've never had a single hiccup from the exact same setup through the exact same rifle with the last box of CCI primers that I fed it.

That really sucks, as I bought the whole batch because I've heard nothing but excellent recommendations for their primers. If this ratio holds true, I can look forward to around 800 duds in the near future.

Feedback Score
    One thought and a question:

You might wnat to replace your hammer spring if it has many rounds on it. Hammer velocity may be a little low. Its a cheap fix, just a thought.

Have you ever tried Wolf regular small rifle primers? If so, any issues with piercing or leakage? I bought a couple thousand over a year ago but haven't used them yet. I'd heard later you should use the magnum variety due to the stronger cups, so I'm a little apprehensive about using these, but I've used other mfg's regular SR primers w/o incident.

Feedback Score
    I too bought 10k Wolf SRM primers from Wideners. I am on my 2nd thousand. Not a single failure out of two different AR's. I bought them #1, because it was available. 2- I had also heard good things. right now, I'm very happy with their performance.

Feedback Score
    One of the unfired. If this strike didn't do it, I'm not sure what would.

Feedback Score
    I had one of those and it looked exactly like your picture.

I was able to diagnose the problem as I had just cleaned my rifle the night before and on the second mag started to get hangfires. I tore down the bolt as I was suspicious about the firing pin. It was due to oil on the firing pin that had gotten in the firing pin recess near the extractor and slowed it just enough to not ignite the primers properly. Blasted the bolt out with some brake cleaner, cleaned the firing pin, re-lubed carefully and reassembled. It went bang without problem.

The thicker primer cups require significant speed and force (on the order of 22 ft lbs) to make them go bang.

Feedback Score
    From that pic, it appears that your primer was not seated properly. They should be slightly recessed and that one looks to be sticking out some. Without slightly stressing the priming compound under the envil, you will get missfires.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Gary - what was your lot/batch #?

I have loaded and loaded Wolf Primers and knock on wood - been really good-to-go.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    Wow thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree with the primer not being seated correctly.....at least that is what it looks like in the photo.

I have used Wolf large pistol primers and they are harder to seat than the Federal or Winchester that I am familiar with. I have shot around 500 so far in three different pistols without an issue.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehryk View Post
    From that pic, it appears that your primer was not seated properly. They should be slightly recessed and that one looks to be sticking out some. Without slightly stressing the priming compound under the envil, you will get missfires.
    That was my first impression when I looked at the picture. I used to run into a similar problem while shooting my 45 ACP reloads. It turns out the improperly seated primers would be seated by the force of the firing pin striking it. There would be a mark from the firing pin, but it wouldn't be as deep as a normal firing pin mark. I could take the same round, load it and fire it with no problem.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast