Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst batch of Wolf primers ever

Feedback Score
    I'll throw another vote in for improper seat.

I ran into the same thing when speer changed the primer well dimensions on the 357sig Lazy S brass. I had been using CCI's with a nickle coating. when they changed it the well was so tight that not only did they not seat all the way sometimes, sometime they would just crush.

I think I replaced every spring on two guns before I figured that one out.

the reason the primer doesn't go off is that when the pin hits, if the anvil isn't seated against the bottom of the well it just knocks the anvil down and then you've already got a dent and there's nothing between the cup and the anvil to go ignite.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I also agree with the primer not being seated correctly. Although the dimpling could have caused that appearance.

Wolf primers tend to be a few thousanths small others. And they have to be seated deep enough. If you hold a business card againt the back of the case & primer, you should see light coming through a gap between the card & primer.

Anytime you change something in your reloading mix, you have to thoroughly check everthing through the process. Your old settings (recipe) won't work because you have new things (ingredients) in the mix.

One way you can test if it is your primer is to make an empty load - , primer, case (no powder or projectile). Put on your eye & ear protection, find a safe target & background, and see if it fires. It's not a great test, but it can identify some problems. See if your bulging primers will fire or not. If you seat the primers deeper, are you having more success?

Once we adjusted our settings, we didn't have any problems. (Oh, and do pull any of these first batch out of your regular ammo, so it doesn't surprise you again!)

~wifey

Feedback Score
    Did you pull the bullets?

Was there any powder in the cases? I doubt it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    Did you pull the bullets?

Was there any powder in the cases? I doubt it.
    I don't think so Larry. A SRM primer has enough oomph to bump the bullet into the barrel and make that scenario obvious to the shooter.

With wolf primers the compound is very visible/colorful. You can inspect them very easily before using them. I've never seen anything funky in any of my Wolf SRM or Large pistol primers.

This failure rate has to be something along the lines of improper seating. If the anvil isn't properly butted up into the pocket, the primer won't ignite.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't think so Larry. A SRM primer has enough oomph to bump the bullet into the barrel and make that scenario obvious to the shooter.
    Not in my experience it doesn't, even with uncrimped ammo.

I will wait for Gary's reply. I hope he isn't embarrassed. Missing the charge in cases here and there happens to the best of us.
    Last edited by HelloLarry; 01-23-10 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I will wait for Gary's reply. I hope he isn't embarrassed. Missing the charge in cases here and there happens to the best of us.
    Possibly... but THAT MANY times?

For what it's worth, I don't miss powder charges any more. I visually check every piece of brass I put a bullet into. I think I did it one time 8 years ago when I was more worried about rate of production than quality.

I load slow these days and keep an eye on everything.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I check them all too. But I still seem to end up with 3 or 4 per year out of about 4,000.

I had access to a progressive loader at one time. You should have seen how many rounds I could pump out with no powder using that thing!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had access to a progressive loader at one time. You should have seen how many rounds I could pump out with no powder using that thing!
    Yep. I load on a Dillon 550. And when that thing start acting up it's easy to get distracted when you're trying to uncluster a train wreck.

Feedback Score
    Not in my experience it doesn't, even with uncrimped ammo.

we used to drill out the flash hole in a .38 case and seat a primer in there. take the case and shove the open end into a block of canning wax. which then turns it in to a wax bullet. I never did get to chrony one, but they were moving.

that said, I've seen primers alone shove a bullet far enough into the throat that it takes a rod to knock it out.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by four View Post
    that said, I've seen primers alone shove a bullet far enough into the throat that it takes a rod to knock it out.
    That's what I'm thinking. I know I've seen a 38 spl. bump the bullet into the barrel, but who knows if there wasn't a partial powder charge in the case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast