Thread: Trouble in Paradise!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Trouble in Paradise!

http://www.kitv.com/politics/21900340/detail.html

Our Mayor's effort to make me move from this wonderful place I call home.

Feedback Score
    Obama is to health care and Mufi is to rail.
    ...I WON"T BE THE VICTIM, BUT THE FIRST TO CAST A STONE...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I drive several times a week on the George Bush Turnpike. I've flown into George Bush Intercontinental and Reagan National. I'll probably hit on a coed near the Dubya Library at some point.

At no point have I broken into hives or otherwise suffered unduly. It's amazing, really.

Feedback Score
    Our Mayor's effort to make me move from this wonderful place I call home.
    I really feel bad for you if you will not live anywhere that has something named after a President or anyone else famous that you do not like. If you want to be a man about it (instead of just posting it here like a coward), protest it and go there everyday with a picket sign showing your disgust of the situation.

OR, put your money where your mouth is and move.

Feedback Score
    I'm already not voting for Mufi due to his antics ram-rodding rail through - this won't change anything. I'll still call it "Magic Island" too if he gets his wish. Remember too, the park area is not natural - if I recall correctly it was formed from reclaimed rock/sand/earth that was dredged to form the nearby harbor or the canal. Hm.. naming an artificially formed (from a by-product of another project) park for a President? Let's see how well that goes over.

About breaking out in hives - the canal nearby was where a whole lot of sewage (48 million gallons is often quoted) from Waikiki ended up after some torrential rains caused a major sewer line break in 2006. One person died from a major infection after possibly accidentally falling into the water near the canal. Some nearby beaches were closed until the bacteria levels dropped back to normal levels. But that's all in the past now, and everything is about back to normal.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    I drive several times a week on the George Bush Turnpike. I've flown into George Bush Intercontinental and Reagan National. I'll probably hit on a coed near the Dubya Library at some point.

At no point have I broken into hives or otherwise suffered unduly. It's amazing, really.
    I think the Bush Hwy and Airport are named after Bush senior. No longer Pres., no matter what you think of him.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I don't have a dog in this fight but is this statement true?

It is the right thing to do because cities all over the country now have streets and parks named after the Hawaii-born president, the mayor's office said.
    Buckaroo
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    I think the Bush Hwy and Airport are named after Bush senior. No longer Pres., no matter what you think of him.
    They are.

I fail to see the relevance of one of them no longer being President, however.

The primary tradition is not naming things for living people - but HW and Obama are both still breathing.
    Last edited by milosz; 12-09-09 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    They are.

I fail to see the relevance of one of them no longer being President, however.

The primary tradition is not naming things for living people - but HW and Obama are both still breathing.
    Lots of things are named for living people, though often we wait until they are dead; it often happens otherwise. But at least they waited until they were no longer President on the Reagan and Bush airports and the Bush Hwy (AFAIK). This thing is when the guy is not even 25% done with his first term

(as an example: We have a local state highway in the Salt Lake valley named the Bangerter Highway which was named after former Gov Bangerter who served until 1993 as Gov. The highway was renamed Bangerter Highway in May 1993 and he is alive and kicking still -- he is my parents neighbor and visits them at least once a month -- I often am there when he drops by)
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.