Thread: ObamaCare endorsements: What the bribe was

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

ObamaCare endorsements: What the bribe was

http://mobile.thehill.com/blogs/pund...-the-bribe-was

ObamaCare endorsements: What the bribe was

by Dick Morris
    11/06/09

· The American Medical Association (AMA) was facing a 21 percent cut in physicians’ reimbursements under the current law. Obama promised to kill the cut if they backed his bill. The cuts are the fruit of a law requiring annual 5-6 percent reductions in doctor reimbursements for treating Medicare patients. Bravely, each year Congress has rolled the cuts over, suspending them but not repealing them. So each year, the accumulated cuts threaten doctors. By now, they have risen to 21 percent. With this blackmail leverage, Obama compelled the AMA to support his bill … or else!

· The AARP got a financial windfall in return for its support of the healthcare bill. Over the past decade, the AARP has morphed from an advocacy group to an insurance company (through its subsidiary company). It is one of the main suppliers of Medi-gap insurance, a high-cost, privately purchased coverage that picks up where Medicare leaves off. But President Bush-43 passed the Medicare Advantage program, which offered a subsidized, lower-cost alternative to Medi-gap. Under Medicare Advantage, the elderly get all the extra coverage they need plus coordinated, well-managed care, usually by the same physician. So more than 10 million seniors went with Medicare Advantage, cutting into AARP Medi-gap revenues.

Presto! Obama solved their problem. He eliminates subsidies for Medicare Advantage. The elderly will have to pay more for coverage under Medigap, but the AARP — which supposedly represents them — will make more money. (If this galls you, join the American Seniors Association, the alternative group; contact <span style="color: windowtext; text-decoration: none;" mce_style="color: windowtext; text-decoration: none;">sbarton@americanseniors.org</span>.)

· The drug industry backed ObamaCare and, in return, got a 10-year limit of $80 billion on cuts in prescription drug costs. (A drop in the bucket of their almost $3 trillion projected cost over the next decade.) They also got administration assurances that it will continue to bar lower-cost Canadian drugs from coming into the U.S. All it had to do was put its formidable advertising budget at the disposal of the administration.

· Insurance companies got access to 40 million potential new customers. But when the Senate Finance Committee lowered the fine that would be imposed on those who don’t buy insurance from $3,500 to $1,500, the insurance companies jumped ship and now oppose the bill, albeit for the worst of motives.

The only industry that refused to knuckle under was the medical device makers. They stood for principle and wouldn’t go along with Obama’s blackmail. So the Senate Finance Committee retaliated by imposing a tax on medical devices such as automated wheelchairs, pacemakers, arterial stents, prosthetic limbs, artificial knees and hips and other necessary accoutrements of healthcare.

So these endorsements are not freely given, but bought and paid for by an administration that is intent on passing its program at any cost.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm shocked and awed that Morris is pimping a GOP astroturf group (the ASA)!

Were these things called "negotiations" or "bribes" between 2001-8?

Feedback Score
    In the interest of bipartizan reality check . . . no matter how many wrongs, it doesn't make a right. Ya have to start doing right to get a right, otherwise it is just compounding wrong. Sick and tired of folks trotting out "well Bush Jr. did X" as an excuse to give Obama a free pass to piss on my grandfather's (and the rest of my resting patriot forefathers) grave. The logic doesn't wash. Between 2001 and 2008 you had your chance to complain about Bush Jr. This my friends, is 2009 and there is a new commander and chief whose butt cheeks have firmly owned the desk chair in the oval office for the better part of 11/12ths of this year. When poop rolls down hilll (through history) a president can try and roll with it and capitalize (for his benefit at expense of country) or he can man up & muck the Augean stables. Where is the change? Where is the hope? Sounds like milosz is saying "yeah, well. . .. more of the same & that makes it okay". To me, it seems to contradict the very foundation that Obama ran on. If Bush is responsible as implied, Obama should be FIGHTING the democrat health care reform.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I emailed both of my Senators last night and reminded them, once again, that I will not support any form of government healthcare nor will I support any Senator that does in the next election.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    ...Were these things called "negotiations" or "bribes" between 2001-8?
    It's December 2009, so does it really matter?
    Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 12-10-09 at 08:06.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    I'm shocked and awed that Morris is pimping a GOP astroturf group (the ASA)!

Were these things called "negotiations" or "bribes" between 2001-8?
    I have to admit that I'm tired of the "well Bush did it" crowd. Quite frankly I could give a shit what Bush did as I'm concerned about the future and what a government controlled healthcare industry will do to this country. If you're looking backwards you're going to be in for a huge surprise if this bill passes. It's going to make Afghanistan, Iraq, the big bank bailouts, the Patriot Act, and every other thing Bush did between 2001-2008 look like childs play in comparison.

Wake up dude.

Feedback Score

the device guys are

...going to get hammered if this goes through. The patients, too, naturally. My grandfather was an early recipient of a bilateral knee replacement. It helped him tremendously. It improved his quality of life, allowed him to play golf almost daily for 15 more years, and no doubt extended his life span. With qaly (or whatever they are gonna use) he probably would be excluded as a candidate today.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully one day soon everyone will start to see past the smoke and mirrors and stop this madness altogether.

Government Healthcare is not about care at all. They should just call it the Health Control Bill.

Remember, politics is like the WWE. Both sides feign partisanship, but when the cameras are off, these people party together...their kids go to the same schools, they belong to the same organizations, and so forth.

It is this False Left vs. Right Paradigm that is put in front of us to confuse and distract us from their true agenda.
    "People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those that do".

-Anonymous

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    ...going to get hammered if this goes through. The patients, too, naturally. My grandfather was an early recipient of a bilateral knee replacement. It helped him tremendously. It improved his quality of life, allowed him to play golf almost daily for 15 more years, and no doubt extended his life span. With qaly (or whatever they are gonna use) he probably would be excluded as a candidate today.
    Why would you think you'd get hammered for that post? You're absolutely correct. With Uncle Sam calling the shots there will be a lot of services, surgeries and treatments that won't happen because the system will be overburdened, too expensive or controlled by a GS-9 that has no medical experience to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieKilo View Post
    Hopefully one day soon everyone will start to see past the smoke and mirrors and stop this madness altogether.

Government Healthcare is not about care at all. They should just call it the Health Control Bill.

Remember, politics is like the WWE. Both sides feign partisanship, but when the cameras are off, these people party together...their kids go to the same schools, they belong to the same organizations, and so forth.

It is this False Left vs. Right Paradigm that is put in front of us to confuse and distract us from their true agenda.
    You're exactly right. As Submariner says, "there isn't a dimes difference between the two parties". From here on out I'm voting against every incumbant.
    Last edited by M4arc; 12-10-09 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    Why would you think you'd get hammered for that post? You're absolutely correct. With Uncle Sam calling the shots there will be a lot of services, surgeries and treatments that won't happen because the system will be overburdened, too expensive or controlled by a GS-9 that has no medical experience to speak of.

You're exactly right. As Submariner says, "there isn't a dimes difference between the two parties". From here on out I'm voting against every incumbant.
    Not hammered for the post, but hammered IRL wrt their livelihood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast