Thread: Opinions on accuracy results, and a photo of my build.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Opinions on accuracy results, and a photo of my build.

I believe I am nearly finished with this one (no really) It is a Anvil Arms lower with a Stag LPK minus FCG and a Stag Arms ambi selector. FGC is a Geissele SSA two stage.
    Stag Arms left handed upper with bolt carrier group, the barrel is from White Oak Armament, it is 16 inches long and stainless steel. It is a medium contour with a mid length gas system and a CMT/Stag ambi- extension. The chamber is a 223 Wylde cut and the bore is a 1/7 twist rate.

The sight is a Eotech 553. The FH is a stainless steel Vortex from Denny at Global Tactical. The buttstock is a Magpul Moe, the pistol grip is a MIAD and the BUS are from Magpul as well. The 12 inch FF rail is from LaRue as is the rail QD light mount, the light is a Surefire E2D LED Defender. The VFG is a QD "stubby" from Tango Down.

Sling is a Vickers padded quick adjust using a Troy receiver end plate ambi push button quick disconnect mount with a Troy rail mounted quick disconnect in the front.

The targets below are the shoot N see type stuck on a silhouette type target. The are a tad under 6 inches across, the distance was a measured 100 yards. I used tumbling media filled shot bags as a front rest with my arms making up the rear rest.

The top target was shot at rest, the bottom photo was shot standing. Groups were 20 rds on each target. Rate of fire was as fast as I could lose the red dot in the red bullseye and fire next shot. I learned one thing real quick, I need to get off the stool and learn other ways to shoot properly.

Last edited by 10MMGary; 12-11-09 at 12:42.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score

New Build/ Accuracy

I think that you built a very nice looking rifle. I like the FDE colors mixed into the build through the optics and furniture. The Giselle SSA trigger was an excellent choice. I plan on replacing my RRA 2-stage with one.

Question/s: What is the intended use for your rifle?

What type of ammunition did you use?

In order to determine the accuracy suitability of the weapon to its intended role it is important to factor in the parameters of what it would be likely employed for.

When I first purchased a stainless steel barreled upper (Noveske Recon), I tried to evaluate its accuracy by using an RDS and low powered optics. I found that there are limitations to what could be learned regarding the potential accuracy of the rifle unless a higher-powered optic was used. I am fitting a higher powered optic to the rifle and purchased Match 75 gr BTHP rounds as well.

A good example to check-out regarding accuracy protocols and equipment used to evaluate a particular rifle/ barrel are member Molon's posts. These posts would provide a better idea as to what equipment could be used to evaluate the accuracy of the build you completed.

As a novice, the only suggestions I could offer are to find a suitable fixed shooting bench. To use some type of sand bag/ shooting bag on both the front fore end (under rail) and at the rear of the stock. Obtain a known/ high quality match .223 round. And try to conduct your shooting sessions early in the day or when wind is least prevalent in your area.

From reading of the performance of similar barrels (WOA) they are capable of excellent accuracy. IMO removing any extraneous gear off of the rail and using a higher-powered optic (9X or greater) it may provide a better idea of the true capability of the rifles accuracy.

Good Luck, you put together a good looking rifle.
    SkiDevil

Feedback Score
    I sight my carbine in at 25yds. Since I shoot tactical 3 gun we use the action ranges that don't go out more than 50yds. Also if I should ever need to reach out and touch a bad guy at 100+yds I know my holds. Also if your serious about learning how to use that sweet rifle I'd suggest putting her through the paces in a class. Shooting from different positions and on the move adds a whole new perspective to things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The ammo was Federal XM193 with head stamp "FC-07". The purpose of the build in all honesty is to use as a walking/riding medium range varmint gun(and to impress my Son and his fellow Marine friends.).

It will be used in the palmetto scrub sod fields and orange groves of south central FL. Ranges will be a maximum of 300 yards and more often than not much less. Feral hogs coyotes bobcats armadillo's and nutria(in no particular order)will be the main targets of opportunity.

Gogetal3, believe it or not the lovely wife(she has her own AR)and I are taking a couple of carbine classes together in Jan & Feb, one is an intro course and the other is a defensive type course.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    If you want to try-out an accurate load for your rifle give the Hornandy TAP rounds a try. So far, the most accurate load I have used in my rifles has been the .223 55gr TAP rounds. At 50 yards it almost groups into the same hole in my rifle.

I have seen this ammo ammo available on several different websites (Cabelas, Natchez Shooters, Ammo to Go). I was finally able to purchase some .223 75gr TAP loads locally after searching around. It was somewhat pricey ($25/ box +tax), but I bought 200 rounds anyways to try-out in my rifles.

I am still looking for some 5.56 Hornandy 75gr TAP rounds but haven't run across any yet.

I have found that the 55gr and 60gr TAP rounds are much easier to find, but the 75gr may be more useful to you for that walking varmint hunting you plan on doing. If the Hornandy 75gr rounds interest you an alternative to both the 5.56 and .223 TAP rounds may be the Hornandy 75gr Match loads. Cabelas had those in stock for around $17/ 20 box. -I purchased some recently, but have not had the opportunity to test it in any of my rifles yet.

SkiDevil

Here is a link to one of Molons reviews on the 75gr TAP rounds:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27879

Hornandy Website:http://www.hornady.com/store/tap_fpd