Thread: DFW Area Handgun Instruction

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

DFW Area Handgun Instruction

Hey guys - I'm looking for a basic/fundamental handgun instruction course to help my wife feel more comfortable shooting and keeping handguns around (and hopefully interest her enough that she'll pursue a CHL) and also as a refresher for me... Is there anyone you guys recommend in the DFW area? Is there anyone I should shy away from?

Thanks!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    Hey guys - I'm looking for a basic/fundamental handgun instruction course to help my wife feel more comfortable shooting and keeping handguns around (and hopefully interest her enough that she'll pursue a CHL) and also as a refresher for me... Is there anyone you guys recommend in the DFW area? Is there anyone I should shy away from?

Thanks!
    The guys from Tiger Valley hold training sessions at the Elm Fork range in DFW on a pretty regular basis. I attended a 1-day tune-up with them (custom class for a buddy's bachelor party festivities) and my other friend and his wife have attended a few of their events. Based on my experience, I would recommend.

www.tigervalley.com for their info.

ETA: Oops, didn't realize I'd snuck into the TX regional forum. Border raid!
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 12-14-09 at 08:20.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Hi Captain,

DFW Gun Range has an introduction to handgun class precisely for people such as your wife with little to no experience. It is taught one on one for about two hours, about an hour of learning basics in the class room, and then another out on the range.

You can visit their website at dfwgun.com and go to the training calendar and sign up.

I teach the class on Saturdays, but they have other times available throughout the week with other instructors.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Best

Dave

(To Mods: This is only my second post here and don't know if I'm in some type of violation. If I am, well just do your thing). Thanks.

Feedback Score

Instructors

Capton Dooley, I took a level 1 class with Scott Caylor this past summer. I was impressed with demeanor and his teaching approach. I ended up paying for some private lessons for my wife. She has never been around guns growing up and I never had the patience to teach her . After the lesson she seem comfortable shooting. She made the comment that Scott was very patient and concise. Scott and Jennifer are good people and he knows how to shoot( grand master). More importantly he knows how to teach. Just my 2 cents. His web is learn2shoot and he is out by commerce. Brad W.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys - I'll look into all this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    I just took a carbine class with Steve Moses in Weatherford. Link. It's reasonably close and the price is right. It's not Aim Fast Hit Fast but it was pretty good instruction.

I think the better deal is to get 4 - 6 people and sign up for private lessons with Steve. it costs the same and you'll get more attention. The standard classes are up to 12 people.
    Last edited by TriumphRat675; 03-19-10 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    I took a advanced pistol 1 at http://www.tdsa.net/. Not that I have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was a great class. There were several guys that were SWAT from the 80s, ex-military types, and the Texas State Guard. They all were very complimentary about the class on the last day. It was two days of instruction and about 1,200 rounds of ammo downrange. If you didn't like the class you could get your money back. Nobody took them up on that option.

Their website sucks, as they don't really keep up with the course schedule, but if you call or email them you can get an update. I have been meaning to call them up to check the schedule, as you can re-take a class for VERY cheap.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    Check out Chris Rainey at Proactive Defense Range in Argyle. Just off of 35W.

GREAT FACILITY, GREAT INSTRUCTION!!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)