Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical workout tailored for shooters?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hypothetical workout tailored for shooters?

Anyone ever thought about designing a workout around building an ideal body type for shooters?

I know that we require alot of explosive leg strength, a VERY solid core and a stupidly strong back.

Sure, a specially designed workout for just shooters would be somewhat stupid since ANY good workout that promotes strength, speed and lean body mass would be ideal but im really looking for some specific routines that i can jump into, routines that have worked for some of you guys.

Anyone got anything that has worked for them where they've noticed an improvement in ability on the range?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can recommend 30/60's or 60/120's for the legs. Flutter kicks and sit ups for the core. Holding the push up position for as long as possible did wonders for my back.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I was still doing it regularly, I tried to tailor my workouts to shooting. Among other things I think that endurance is more important that brute strength and so I tended to work lighter weights for more reps rather than the opposite.

One thing that I think gets missed alot is shoulder-area strength endurance. Go to a class and watch people's low-ready on TD1 vs. TD3.

I use exercises like these and these and these as well as tricep work.

Squats are good for general getting up and down.

I'm generally looking more to prevent soreness from a long class as well as keep my endurance up for the duration so that I can focus on the learning/training. If I was training for a competitive advantage I would probably change things up and work more towards short bursts.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Low weight high rep shoulders and sustained shoulder weight always seemed to work for me. I can tell a big difference in my performance when I am in shape versus when I have let myself slide for a while. Hand/forearm and grip strength are also things that will increase performance. On these I think that constant flex ability makes the most difference.

I agree with the other opinons as far as core strength and explosive leg strength. However, I also think that legs should be high endurance.

I don't view it as a shooter's workout as much as a workout for fighters that fight with guns.

Just my opinon based off of my experience.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Low weight high rep shoulders and sustained shoulder weight always seemed to work for me. I can tell a big difference in my performance when I am in shape versus when I have let myself slide for a while. Hand/forearm and grip strength are also things that will increase performance. On these I think that constant flex ability makes the most difference.

I agree with the other opinons as far as core strength and explosive leg strength. However, I also think that legs should be high endurance.

I don't view it as a shooter's workout as much as a workout for fighters that fight with guns.

Just my opinon based off of my experience.
    Good response!

For me, i phrased the question this way because im not a gunfighter and never will be. Im simply a recreational shooter with an interest in self defense. Magpul Dynamics has instilled a desire in me to climb that ladder of excellence every day and part of that progression is physical training. I started the thread to get some feedback from the guys that do this far more often than i and depend on their physical prowess to save their lives.

Rob, without singling anyone out i wonder if we could design a drills night around physical fitness and how it translates into personal performance?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Rob, without singling anyone out i wonder if we could design a drills night around physical fitness and how it translates into personal performance?
    LOL, don't get me started!

FWIW, I have a stage designed where you leave your magazine at the 0 yard line and you and your rifle begin at the 75. At the signal you are required to retrieve your magazine and finish the stage. Every time I have proposed using this stage it's gone over like a fart in church.

Similarly, we once did a stage where the shooter was required to "fight" their way forward, retrieve the tool box that holds all the stakes and sledges (at least 25 lbs, probably more) and "fight" their way back to cover, shooting the carbine one-handed. People cried like you kicked their mothers in the nuts.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    LOL, don't get me started!

FWIW, I have a stage designed where you leave your magazine at the 0 yard line and you and your rifle begin at the 75. At the signal you are required to retrieve your magazine and finish the stage. Every time I have proposed using this stage it's gone over like a fart in church.

Similarly, we once did a stage where the shooter was required to "fight" their way forward, retrieve the tool box that holds all the stakes and sledges (at least 25 lbs, probably more) and "fight" their way back to cover, shooting the carbine one-handed. People cried like you kicked their mothers in the nuts.
    That sounds AWESOME.

So when are we running that? Seriously...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great thread.

I'm currently in the camp of "just had surgery and getting myself back in the groove."
    Prior to surgery I was doing light weights with quite a few reps to try and build endurance. The doc cleared me for exercise a week ago so it's back to work.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    That sounds AWESOME.

So when are we running that? Seriously...
    Now that you mention it, I think we'll do the tool box stage this coming Tuesday....

(hope I don't blow my own back out doing it!)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From experience I have seen the greatest results in increasing core strength, leg strength, speed, explosiveness, endurance, and slight increase in flexibility through plyometric exercises.

If exercises are done correctly, after a workout your core and legs should feel like jello
    Its only until we have nothing that we're free to do anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast