Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypothetical workout tailored for shooters?

Feedback Score
    The one thing I would be tempted to look at is training what you want to do.

There are a certain number of positions etc, so make a kata and do it every morning.

Train your muscle memory.

Thing about your footing etc, so how to move, or face different directions.

Also what about doing all this training with a heavy fake gun.

A lot of martial artists do stuff like this, to make themselves smoother, and faster.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    The one thing I would be tempted to look at is training what you want to do.

There are a certain number of positions etc, so make a kata and do it every morning.

Train your muscle memory.

Thing about your footing etc, so how to move, or face different directions.

Also what about doing all this training with a heavy fake gun.

A lot of martial artists do stuff like this, to make themselves smoother, and faster.
    I can definitely tell you've had some formal martial arts training. What areas have you studied?
    Its only until we have nothing that we're free to do anything

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wes007 View Post
    I can definitely tell you've had some formal martial arts training. What areas have you studied?
    Take it to PM.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wes007 View Post
    TKD, Aikido, a lot of Judo, and Silat.

In the South East Asian styles, they do a lot of for want of a better description Heavy training. The argument being for almost all training, that the only way to train something is to do it, but if you train with something heavier, you get stronger, and more importantly faster.

They also are big into base, or foot work, and flow training. So it is really worth thinking about were your feet are, and how you plan to move them. Also how you move from one stance to another.

Feedback Score
    I think an often overlooked aspect is controlling your heart rate.

Take a look at the biathlons, which are basically a norwegian drive by Cross country ski for a total of 20K and shoot at multiple targets using rifles at a distance of 50-250

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVhQOa6HH4

Cross country skiing is hard enough, but add in the factor of trying to take a shot with your heart at about 170bpm makes it interesting. I'd think this would be useful in longer stages in competion perhaps

Good prep for getting your heart rate down quickly would be sprints, burpees, jumping jacks, anything that gets the heart going,and after say, 2 min of burpees, rest one minute, repeat.

UFC fighter Forest Griffin used this technique to significantly drop his heart rate down during the 1min rest you get between fights. I can't remember what his improvement was, but it was enough to make it totally worth it

Oh, and I also forgot! Forearms, shoulders, and back like you guys have been mentioning so far. for forearms, tie a piece of string around a weight plate or anything, attach the other end to a tube or cylinder that fits in your hands ( like, the same diameter as a TP roll) but strong enough to hold the weight up.
    Give yourself about 4 feet of line, and then, with the cylinder/tube horizontal, line between your hands, palms down, rotate the tube, wrapping the line around, bringing the weight up. go all the way in with the line, and then let it out. BURNS BURNS BURNS
    Last edited by tampam4; 12-18-09 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have wondered about taking some blue guns and filling them with lead(not that kind silly!). Would this be possible?

This way I could add them to my workout as dead weight.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tampam4 View Post
    I think an often overlooked aspect is controlling your heart rate.
    I was reading a thing to do with the new Steven Seagal show, and he was saying stuff about this. One thing to remember, they practice to do this. A lot of Martial arts do as well, you should be controlling your breathing, nightmare to get right.

The whole point of Kata which seems to get lost is to improve this stuff. It should not be about speed, but about getting the smallest little detail right. If you look at Tai Chi done at full speed, all of the breathing etc works to increase the power of the blow, and protect you from counter attacks.

The first time it all comes together can surprise the hell out of you. Someone distracted me once, and we had to fetch my partner from the other side of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I have wondered about taking some blue guns and filling them with lead(not that kind silly!). Would this be possible?

This way I could add them to my workout as dead weight.
    I wonder if you could just have a lead filled magazine?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Anyone ever thought about designing a workout around building an ideal body type for shooters?

I know that we require alot of explosive leg strength, a VERY solid core and a stupidly strong back.

Sure, a specially designed workout for just shooters would be somewhat stupid since ANY good workout that promotes strength, speed and lean body mass would be ideal but im really looking for some specific routines that i can jump into, routines that have worked for some of you guys.

Anyone got anything that has worked for them where they've noticed an improvement in ability on the range?
    A good general program like this will get anyone into great condition and hits the essentials:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ension+trainer

It's general vs task/sports specific, but efficient and effective.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Will,

Glad to see you in here.

Thank you very much for the link to that thread, i hadnt seen it before.

I think i might modify my current exercise plan for the next two to three months to give what you suggested a try.

Ive never really cared about being "ripped', i would however like to get rid of the excess "jiggle" aka fat on my body and increase my functional strength. I would assume that for the most part, lean body mass will come with any of these exercises.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Will,

Glad to see you in here.

Thank you very much for the link to that thread, i hadnt seen it before.

I think i might modify my current exercise plan for the next two to three months to give what you suggested a try.

Ive never really cared about being "ripped', i would however like to get rid of the excess "jiggle" aka fat on my body and increase my functional strength. I would assume that for the most part, lean body mass will come with any of these exercises.
    Minus knowing your genetics and your diet (which is the an essential variable to what happens to any jiggle...), I would say such a program well suited to a balance of conditioning, functional strength, and bodycomp. It will take a bit of reading, and plugging in the info to make it work for you, but that's what it takes to get something that's well fit to each person without a coach there to directly asses and direct it all.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12