Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pack recommendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Pack recommendations?

I'd like to organize my essential items and kit into a handy backpack and would like some recommendations. Let's hear them!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I bought a $7 remington camo back pack from walmart, and its been a great range campanion. However since my gun collection has grown since then, the back pack seems to have shrunk. Im thinking about getting a double rifle case and new gear bag myself. Anyone with suggestions please chime in, and yall know we love pics!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got the original ATS RAID pack with the stiffening insert when they had them on clearance cheap... I love this pack! The clearance ones are gone now, IIRC, but I can't think you could go wrong with the gen2 RAID pack or it's smaller cousin the Cobra.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got an Eagle A-III three day pack that I've been very happy with.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Good question - can you describe a few of the items? For instance, I'm wondering about relative sizes. Do you need to make room for an SBR; or a would just a quart water bottle or pistol be the largest item you need?

I have a used Camelbak Motherlode I bought off fleabay for about $50 shipped. It's quite sturdy, and carries well. It will not hold a broken-down carbine, however. I bought the Noveske/Eagle backpack for that.

Do you have a price range you are considering, and does it need to have a built-in hydration system?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    How much and what what will you be carrying? I just got a LBT 3 Day Assault and love it for everyday use. I have way too many packs as it is but I needed a black one to wear while Im in uniform. If paying retail Id go with the Eagle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    I got the original ATS RAID pack with the stiffening insert when they had them on clearance cheap... I love this pack! The clearance ones are gone now, IIRC, but I can't think you could go wrong with the gen2 RAID pack or it's smaller cousin the Cobra.
    What he said. I got mine for around $99.00 (I think) on sale through ATS, a couple of years ago. The RAID is very well constructed, however, the cost goes up when you start adding pouches. It's small enough and comfortable to hump in the field, without being too ungainly, while being large enough to store a significant amount of kit. The RAID or RAID II (improved with feedback from folks down range in the sandbox) at $179.00, it's still money well spent.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    I'd like to organize my essential items and kit into a handy backpack and would like some recommendations. Let's hear them!
    How much does the total kit weigh, and how much space does it take up? Would a commercial pack from Jansport or North Face be out of the question?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score

I really like Osprey packs for medium-duty use

Here's the website.
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosSeriesMens/
    I've gotten mine at REI. I have 3 packs of various sizes and love them. They are very tough, but not as heavy-duty as Kifaru.

The suspension and ventilation of these packs make them real standouts in warm and/or humid conditions. The packs in this range have very rifle-butt-friendly straps that do not really interfere with mounting/ firing a rifle.

Feedback Score

Survival items

First things first: Water, get yourself a sweetwater pump to filter water instead of using the iodine tablets. This will pay dividends for years to come. You can store the water in some non-lubricated condoms. IIf you put them in a sturdy pair of socks, it will protect them.
    After the water issue is solved, carry a few bulion cubes. I like the beef. It will add flavor to otherwise bland ass food that you gather. It is nice to have some tinfoil as well. You don't need a ton, just about 2 feet. It will fold up nicely into a compact square. Carry some lead weights and fishing line with some hooks for trout lines. Go to gander mtn and get some edable vegitation cards or a small book. There is nothing worse than guessing what is good and what is bad to eat. A folding fixed blade knif is a must as well.
    Lastly, carry a small book and a deck of cards. It is nice to have something to pass the time when you find yourself in a survival situation. One on traps and snare could come in handy.
    All of this can fit into a small tupperware bowl that will not take up much room in your pack.

-RLTW-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast