Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pack recommendations?

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    As an EDC pack I am currently using a Northface "Bigshot."

It's ok but NOT gonna hold up and frankly the 2 outside pockets zipper vertically so when you open them there is a chance stuff will fall out.

The only thing I really like is the shape and the volume is correct for what I am seeking.

I use an Eberlestock Phantom for my field work, backpacking, travel and just about everything other than everyday carry.

This is a GREAT pack! whether I'm packing a Long gun or just civilian travel with out a weapon it's versatile, durable, easily modified to my needs and absolutely the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

Weight distribution and security is easily accomplished and I can't imagine what I would do to improve this pack for my uses.

Anyone used the TAD Gear Fast pack EDC packs? They seem very steep (go figure TAD gear prices) but are they any good?
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    I just had a look at the Eberlestock packs. They seem heavy for the cubic inch space. ie 6 lbs for 3080 ci.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Bravo View Post
    I just had a look at the Eberlestock packs. They seem heavy for the cubic inch space. ie 6 lbs for 3080 ci.
    I guess.... To be sure the Eberlestock packs are VERY solid. So yeah they probably do come across as heavy. Does the weight you are looking at include the entire system? Rifle scabbard and all? Because the rifle part comes off when not needed making the pack lighter.

Just wondering because I never really pay attention to the pack's weight. I shop for durability because of my usage history.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

AND

Feedback Score
    If you carry a pack for more than a day or two, when it becomes part of ones daily burden, then you begin to look at everything in it with a different perspective. After the first week we were tearing out the labels in our clothes and sleeping bags. I cut extra straps and buckles off of pack and tent. One eliminates almost all "just in case" stuff(first aid kit is only exception) and all "nice to have" things. After a month one is carrying only the things directly required for survival and the mission and nothing else.

That's why weight of the pack bag itself is critical. My 6 lb pack (72 liter volume) is the heaviest item on my back. The go-lite folks carry packs that weigh a pound but will shred when bushwacking. Mountaineers like me carry a heavier one but mine is still too heavy. ie 6 lbs for a 72 liter bag is the upper limit. The Ebbersole(spic) packs are way heavier than that. Better to find something lighter if you are expecting to carry it more than a day or two.

Feedback Score
    Eberlestock packs are heavy compared to mountaineering packs, but that's not their target audience. Their target audience are back-country hunters and tactical operators.

I can tell you that if you have to carry a long gun while you're "mountaineering", there is no more comfortable way than in an Eberlestock pack. I've spent a week at a time with one on my back topping 60lbs and 6-8 miles at a time sporting 100+ lbs loads...I haven't broke anything on one yet (doesn't mean I won't, but these are pretty stout packs)

So it depends on what you plan to do with it - would I buy an Eberlstock to backpack and camp in the mountains - heck no

Would I buy one to allow me the versatility to carry my rifle (or bow), a spike camp that I can offload, and even later hopefully expand to carry stuff out that I hadn't come in with? - YEP They're a great pack when you don't know what you might be carrying one minute to the next. But you pay for it with an extra pound or so in the main pack. Just have to pick your poison.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by siucowboy View Post
    Eberlestock packs are heavy compared to mountaineering packs, but that's not their target audience. Their target audience are back-country hunters and tactical operators.

I can tell you that if you have to carry a long gun while you're "mountaineering", there is no more comfortable way than in an Eberlestock pack. I've spent a week at a time with one on my back topping 60lbs and 6-8 miles at a time sporting 100+ lbs loads...I haven't broke anything on one yet (doesn't mean I won't, but these are pretty stout packs)

So it depends on what you plan to do with it - would I buy an Eberlstock to backpack and camp in the mountains - heck no

Would I buy one to allow me the versatility to carry my rifle (or bow), a spike camp that I can offload, and even later hopefully expand to carry stuff out that I hadn't come in with? - YEP They're a great pack when you don't know what you might be carrying one minute to the next. But you pay for it with an extra pound or so in the main pack. Just have to pick your poison.
    Agreed in every sense.

And for the record I have done 4day (3 night) pack trips into the Adirondacks carrying 45 - 60lb loads depending on season and My pack has been the most comfortable and capable pack I have ever carried and I've carried a few in my many years.

Durability and function are BIG factors for me. weight...... not so much. But I am a pretty stout fella to begin with and a few extra pounds in my world don't make a difference.

Of course I don't "mountaineer" so the mandates for ultra light weight gear is not something I factor for. I do appreciate the need for those who have different usage than I though.

Oh and one last statement..... The Eberlestock folks are probably the best and most personal I have ever dealt with regardless of the product. In fact about a month after I bought mine the owner of the company called to ask me if I was satisfied because the sales rep noted in my account that when I was discussing which pack I needed for my usage I went with their recommendation.

He called to make sure that the advice I received was accurate and that the pack was sufficient to my mission.

Now that alone, to me, is reason enough to carry the extra couple pounds.
    Last edited by Pathfinder Ops; 04-05-10 at 20:10.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

AND

Feedback Score
    Yeah Glenn's a heck of a nice guy and 100% behind his products (even the early ones that he'll admit aren't anywhere near as good as what they're currently putting out)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Ops View Post
    Agreed in every sense.

And for the record I have done 4day (3 night) pack trips into the Adirondacks carrying 45 - 60lb loads depending on season and My pack has been the most comfortable and capable pack I have ever carried and I've carried a few in my many years.

Durability and function are BIG factors for me. weight...... not so much. But I am a pretty stout fella to begin with and a few extra pounds in my world don't make a difference.

Of course I don't "mountaineer" so the mandates for ultra light weight gear is not something I factor for. I do appreciate the need for those who have different usage than I though.

Oh and one last statement..... The Eberlestock folks are probably the best and most personal I have ever dealt with regardless of the product. In fact about a month after I bought mine the owner of the company called to ask me if I was satisfied because the sales rep noted in my account that when I was discussing which pack I needed for my usage I went with their recommendation.

He called to make sure that the advice I received was accurate and that the pack was sufficient to my mission.

Now that alone, to me, is reason enough to carry the extra couple pounds.

Feedback Score
    I am looking at an Arcteyrx Bora. It's the predecessor of the Marine Corps ILBE. I don't actually have one in hand but it's spex look better than my current Lowe Contour IV.

Note that the Army once told me that one can carry 1/4 of your body weight comfortably. For me that is 45lbs. Why Operations Officers never paid attention to that is beyond me.

I read something recently about our guys in Afganistan being "overburdened" especially above 6,000 feet elevation. I think it was the article entitled "Taking Back the Infantry's 600 yards" about AR marksmanship. Apparently the Taliban only engage our guys from beyond 300 yards where iron sighted AR's loose accuracy and at high elevations where we don't manuever well because of the weight we carry. I know the Army is slow to change equipment but I bet we see the 10th Mountain carrying lighter COTS packs and gear very soon.

Feedback Score
    Hey M4arc, depending on how big your looking for, This may be of interest to you.....
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    I've got a few TAD packs - the Litespeed and the EDC v4. I really like them both, but for different usages as the Litespeed is smaller then the EDC. To me they are very comfortable with up to about 20lbs in the Litespeed and 35-ish in the EDC. They also have a lifetime warranty and I've had good luck with TAD's customer service on other items I've purchased from them, so I'm pretty sure they'll take care of me if anything happens to one of their packs. I have heard good info on the Eberlestock packs as far as comfort and ruggedness are concerned and if I needed a larger pack, they would definately be on my short list.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast