Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AFG users, post feedback here!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    O.k. I finally got a chance to mount this on my new midlength upper. It has standard handguards. I think most of everybody will be doing quad rail reports, so I thought I'd do a standard handguard one.

So after digging around in my parts bin, I came across a HG rail from a old gun project. I mounted it to the handguard and reinstalled guard. Its a BCM so the HG fits real tight.

The AFG slid right on. After trying different placements I found it best (for me) placement was with the front of the AFG just under the front sling attachment. Its a very nice fit. Zero slop in the HG or the AFG to the rail.

I hope to get some range time in this weekend and really get to test it out. I also can tell I'll need a remote switch for my light so its still usable when transitioning from right to left side.

Here are some pics. Sorry for the crappy pics (had to use the camera on the cell)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sorry again for the shitty pics

Brad
    Last edited by bradb55; 12-18-09 at 23:16.
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the pics d90king!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I got a AFG with a duck bill/lip in the handle. My initial thoughts, pretty cool. It definitely makes it more comfortable griping the rifle. A few things I've been thinking about...could it be possible to add rubber to the handle area? I know you guys are coming out with the MOE pistol grip that is made of rubber, maybe making the bottom rubberized? And possibly a QD socket at the back of the handle (portion facing the lower receiver/magwell?
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steeltoe View Post
    Thanks for the pics d90king!
    No problem. Its the least I could do since MP was nice enough to give me a sneak peek for free.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    And possibly a QD socket at the back of the handle (portion facing the lower receiver/magwell?
    Thats not a bad idea! Since I had just finished this middy, I'm still waiting on my sling and front sling adapter.

But a QD socket would be a nice idea
    Last edited by bradb55; 12-19-09 at 12:24.
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got mine yesterday as well. I can't make it to the range this weekend (cold rain...) but after doing some dry-fire drills last night and practicing clearing my apartment I will share what I've found. The pics are blurry because I am both photographer and model.

First off, this is what my SBR looked like Friday morning.

I recently switched to the KAC handstop, and I like it a lot. On a 7-inch rail there isn't much room for stuff, so I like that the handstop is small, lightweight and unobtrusive. Stubbier than even the stubbiest of stubby grips, it provides a positive index point for hand placement.

So I tried the AFG in what I would call the "normal" position on a 7-inch rail.

I like the way the AFG fits my hand, but I found it to be too far back for me. Somewhat uncomfortable. And I'm a little guy (5' 8") so I don't have gibbon arms either. So, since it only requires one rail slot for the crossbolt I decided I'd try moving it as far forward as possible. My only concern would be that it might be too loose if mounted this way. Note that you can only do this if you've removed the sling swivel, but I assume most people do that nowadays.

Much better! It mounts rock-solid to the rail and it's much more comfortable. My hand fits it perfectly and my thumb is in a very natural position to both control the weapon and activate the light. I like the little A2-style finger groove as it provides a reference point for my fingers. My middle finger rests on the groove, index finger pointed forward slightly. Very comfortable, very natural feeling.

I will post more once I've had a chance to shoot with it mounted. Thanks again to Magpul!

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Received my Magpul AFG yesterday. These are first impressions, as I need to put some rounds down range and use the AFG in a competition or two before I make any real conclusions.

As usual, the AFG is a quality product. Unsurprisingly, the texture and material remind me of the MIAD grip. Others have mentioned the design choice to use two hex screws and a slotted screw; I agree that it would make more sense to make all three the same type.

It weighs about two and a half ounces, and in practical terms since it replaces a few rail covers we're really only talking an additional ounce or two to add one to the rifle. It is a few ounces lighter than my LaRue FUG, and it certainly lighter than the VFGs pictured here.

I first tried it on my LMT SBR. The SBR is light and handy to begin with, and the AFG felt right at home. However, I had been running a Surefire X300 on one of the side rails, and I use the standard switch for activation. The way the AFG wraps around the side rails required the movement of the X300, and I'll need to experiment to find an optimal position for my light. The grip was natural feeling; 'pointability' was good. I run my VFG fairly far forward however, and my impression is that I could get my support hand slightly further forward and higher up on the gun with the stubby VFG. I've been running the VFG on this rifle for years though, so any change is going to take time to get used to.

Close up on the LaRue rail.

I then tried the AFG on my Noveske Recon. The Recon is a tack driver but a bit of a beast, weighing almost two pounds more than the SBR, much of it towards the front due to the weight of the stainless barrel and the SWS rail. The weight difference is particularly noticeable when switching from one to the other. I typically don't run a VFG on this rifle as I already find it front heavy.

On the Recon, the AFG was a welcome addition. It added little weight, but I felt my control and ability to point the muzzle was improved. My initial impression is that the longer rail of the Recon compared to the SBR allowed me to run the AFG further forward, and the positioning felt much more natural. I'm not sure if others will get a similar feel, but I think the AFG is going to work best on rifles with longer tubes or rail systems that allow you to extend your arms.

Again, these are initial impressions, and until I run the rifle with the AFG at a class or competition, this is like commenting on a car's handling after sitting in one in the showroom. I'll be keeping the AFG on the Recon for the time being though. I think it is a light weight, low cost option for those who are looking for forward grip functionality. I'm often looking for ways to shave weight from builds too, and the light weight of the AFG is very appealing.

Thanks to Magpul for giving me a chance to try out this new product.

Range Update: Finally got a chance to shoot this on the range with some friends. The AFG does help provide control and a comfortable, firm grip. However, during speed reloads we found it more difficult to quickly reassume our shooting grip, with much fumbling about to get back into position. Those with smoother tubes or VFGs came back to their natural support hand position much faster. This is likely a training issue and added time and familiarity with the AFG may address that.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-21-10 at 20:45.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    got mine, installed it, like the way it feels so far. i usually dislike finger shelves/bumps as they don't match up with my fingers, but with the AFG, it's a good fit for me. i tried the straight shelf insert, but found that the finger shelf kept my hand in position better.
    initial impressions - wrist angle feels comfortable and natural. i look forward to shooting with it. thanks magpul.
    other notes - the width at the front can prevent side rail covers from being used in conjunction with the AFG. i'd like to see a narrower version that isn't much wider than a rail cover, so that there's more clearance for side covers and flashlight mounts. i don't always have the option of mounting the light on the top rail, especially if there's a front sight mounted there, and i want the light mounted as far forward as possible.
    IMHO, the AFG will work best with handguards longer than midlength if accessories are used with it.

Feedback Score
    I mounted the AFG on my LMT MRP yesterday. It looks well constructed. As I did some dry fire, I noticed I didn't care for the finger shelf, since it felt awkward based on my individual shooting style. I went to the range and put 8 mags down range. I noticed the top of my left social finger was getting a little irritated after about 4 mags. After putting on gloves, it was a non issue. I'll switch to the smooth insert tomorrow and head back to the range.

I did notice that without gloves, my hand would slowly slip down as I applied rearward pressure during shooting. After using a VFG for a few years, using the "thumb break" grip, I've become accustomed to using it as leverage to pull the weapon into my shoulder, so maybe an increased angle of the forward section of maybe another 5 to 8 degrees, would allow a little more leverage. Since a design change like this will ruin the aesthetics of the original design, maybe you could designate it as AFG Mod 2, and the original AFG Mod 1. Maybe a Mod 3 with even a greater angle of 10-12 degrees more, over the original design, in order to please the majority of the shooters. Maybe a modular front half, to allow the shooter to change the grip angle, similar to the MIAD, being modular and interchangeable, so you won't have to have a Mod 2 &3 (Just thinking out loud).

It will take me a few range sessions to adjust to a new hand position, but nothing that can't be overcome. I'll put another 8 mags down range without the "finger shelf", and report back tomorrow afternoon.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Much better! It mounts rock-solid to the rail and it's much more comfortable. My hand fits it perfectly and my thumb is in a very natural position to both control the weapon and activate the light. I like the little A2-style finger groove as it provides a reference point for my fingers. My middle finger rests on the groove, index finger pointed forward slightly. Very comfortable, very natural feeling.

I will post more once I've had a chance to shoot with it mounted. Thanks again to Magpul!

Derek

This is exactly what I wanted to see I would to get one now.
    Last edited by Sierrahotel83; 12-19-09 at 19:04.
    -They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security- Benjamin Franklin

-Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you. If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.- Lamb of God- Omerta

ابن بيت وأنا كافر

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast