Thread: Suppressors that mount on A2 flash hiders

Feedback Score

Suppressors that mount on A2 flash hiders

I watched a video on YouTube that demonstrated the B&T Rotex X suppressor. The most interesting thing about this suppressor is that it mounts directly to A2 flash hiders. To me, this seems way more desirable than having to buy a special muzzle attachment for each rifle that I want to use a suppressor on. Honestly, I'm surprised that I have not heard about it before now. For those who are familiar with it, are there any downsides to this suppressor attachment method? Besides B&T, are there any other suppressors that use the same attachment method?

Feedback Score
    Gemtech HALO series was made specifically for use with A2 flash hiders, and have been around for decades. Griffin Armament has had some options for years, too.

The A2 was never designed to be a suppressor mount, so it ends up being a poor suppressor mount. You generally do not get a repeatable POA/POI shift, which can be several MOA. Most A2s are mounted with crush washers and not machined to very tight tolerances, so misalignment causing baffle strikes is much more of an issue. Dedicated suppressor mounts are a thing for an actual performance reason.

I see zero reason to use an A2 flash hider as a suppressor mount outside of some kind of institutional reason. The idea of being able to use your can between multiple guns just doesn't make much sense to me if you're using it for any kind of serious purpose, given the changes in POA/POI between suppressed and unsuppressed (especially if the shift is inconsistent), to say nothing of some of the optimization you might need to do to each gun if using a high backpressure can.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    The A2 was never designed to be a suppressor mount, so it ends up being a poor suppressor mount. You generally do not get a repeatable POA/POI shift, which can be several MOA. Most A2s are mounted with crush washers and not machined to very tight tolerances, so misalignment causing baffle strikes is much more of an issue. Dedicated suppressor mounts are a thing for an actual performance reason.
    I was hoping that there wasn't a downside, but thanks for explaining.

I see zero reason to use an A2 flash hider as a suppressor mount outside of some kind of institutional reason. The idea of being able to use your can between multiple guns just doesn't make much sense to me if you're using it for any kind of serious purpose
    I wouldn't be using it for serious use. I'm primarily a collector, so keeping my rifles original and minimizing the cost of trying a suppressor on each of them is appealing.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I disagree that they don’t work well as mounts. I’ve got a M4SDk, 30SD, M4SD-L (jail), a Griffin Gate lock adapter on a Turbo K. You remount the A2 using shims instead of crush washers, so that’s not a real problem except for institutions where policies are written by dumbshits. Griffin makes two cans specifically for those institutions, only one of which is in the consumer catalog. However, if you find yourself working in suck a moron-laden organization, you can also use one of their Gatelock or Nato adapters with a grossly overbore can, like a .358 or .458 MG7k. Which is probably a good idea, since the meatheads that disallows the armorers replacing a crush washer also won’t allow the armorers to dick with the gas drive.

The Halo style adapter has poor RTZ due to having no rotational indexing other than trying to put it on the same way each time.

For a precision rifle, use some sort of taper mount.

KAC NT4 mounts on a mount that mostly looks like an A2, but isn’t. It won’t mount on an A2, due to the indexing notch. The Griffin Gatelock cans index off the wrench flats to avoid that.

Wilson Combat A2s consistently work well with Griffin cans and adapters. Other brands are sometimes out of spec in diameter, oversized (I measured with a micrometer based on the .mil TDP), preventing mounting.

Of the natively A2 mounting cans, the 30SDk and M4SD-L are probably the best choices.

You will get some soot on your glove if you shoot a lot and your rail runs all the way to your can, but it doesn’t seem to affect sound or cause carbon lock, with the Griffin stuff. The NT4 will definitely carbon lock, but that’s why it’s indexing notch is angled.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    An A2 mountable can does have some appeal for someone like me who hates suppressors on ARs, but would like to have a quick option if needed. Wasn't AAC's version the "Omni"?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I appreciate all of this information. Would an alignment rod be the ultimate verification test?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A2 mounting systems are longer and heavier than most any other mounting systems. Significantly more than the great taper options that we have now. At least choose a HUB option so you are not stuck with the A2 mount like in the old days.

At a minimum you need to remove the A2 and crush washer, then re install with shims. You should also probably measure the A2 and make sure it is within print.

At that point how much harder is it to try out on multiple guns with a direct thread base or one adapter of whatever mount system you choose?

A lot of people fret about the cost of adapters for every gun they own, then end up dedicating a silencer to one or maybe two guns.