Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bedroom M4's. How do you store yours?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Loaded P-Mag (28 rounds) inserted, hammer back chamber empty and safety off. Gunfighter CH for smooth chambering. No optic, flashlight mounted and XS tritium front post. Also M&P .40 with light & 3 mags in nightstand.

Feedback Score
    Magazine loaded and inserted, but no round in the chamber.
    Hammer down, safety on fire

This is how mine is and I have trained to the point where charging and firing on a target is natural and I don't really even use sights for a hasty 15 meter shot. The placement of the weapon is consistent and the shot just hits where I want it. Given a bump in the night with some investigation time I will charge it, turn the XPS on and use light discipline to check it out.

Quick story on reflex shooting, I was out with my dog on the golf cart a couple of months ago, when it was still warm. I always carry my RRA, the same one I keep for my HD gun, with me whenever we load up on the cart. I went down to the creek and stopped to have a look around. Buster stayed on the cart while I decided to see what was down in the water. As I was walking up to the edge of the road (a dirt road with a culvert passing underneath), something struck at me from the leaves. I quickly took two steps back and could see it was a Mocassin about 3 ft long and as big around as my lower leg. I hastily charged the old RRA and fired 4 rds into the big snake, cutting him into thirds, mitigating the threat, all without aquiring a sight picture. Afterwards, I realized that that is the closest I have ever been to being hit by a poisonous snake.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ540MN View Post
    I'd much rather be shot by a competent shooter than someone likely to remove a limb and leave me to bleed to death.

I also don't think an AR is a good home defense weapon. Even in shortest legal form (aside from SBR'd), it's far more difficult to sweep a room with than a pistol.

Lets put it this way - you know your house, the perp likely doesn't: however, they're gonna either see you pop out of a door and then have to draw on them, or they're gonna see a barrel come around a corner and know they need to pop holes in the person holding it - either one isn't a good scenario.

You can hold a pistol far closer to you and provide much shorter engagements and not have to swing your whole body to cover multiple perps.

All of this is irrelevant if your house has 14' wide hallways and large open spaces beyond every doorway. Mine doesn't.
    Train with some competent trainers. If you have then great, if not do it. It will be money well spent. Given a choice, I would rather clear a building with a carbine any day over a pistol, but a pistol is better than a sharp knife (although this could be debated). You just don't project your weapon through a doorway before entering. Also you don't hold in the doorway, or you could be an easy target.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eng208 View Post
    Quick story on reflex shooting, I was out with my dog on the golf cart a couple of months ago, when it was still warm. I always carry my RRA, the same one I keep for my HD gun, with me whenever we load up on the cart. I went down to the creek and stopped to have a look around. Buster stayed on the cart while I decided to see what was down in the water. As I was walking up to the edge of the road (a dirt road with a culvert passing underneath), something struck at me from the leaves. I quickly took two steps back and could see it was a Mocassin about 3 ft long and as big around as my lower leg. I hastily charged the old RRA and fired 4 rds into the big snake, cutting him into thirds, mitigating the threat, all without aquiring a sight picture. Afterwards, I realized that that is the closest I have ever been to being hit by a poisonous snake.
    Hell of a story.

I keep mine with a Surefire G2, magazine in, hammer down, selector lever on FIRE. Right next to it is my HSGI Popper vest that has additional magazines and a blow out kit.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It seems the consensus is to leave it unchambered with safety on fire - is there a particular reason for this versus chambered with the safety on safe?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    My preference is based solely on my own house. If someone were to intrude, they would have the tactical advantage coming from the main rooms to the bedrooms, and again if they had made it to the basement, they would have the upper hand over someone coming down. It's simply the way my house is laid out.

My advantage is in familiarity of the layout and knowing where all the nooks are.

When I come out of our bedroom, I'm in a 36" hallway, at the end of that hallway is the potential for someone on either side of it, or around another wall in the kitchen/dining room. I don't want to need to present a full profile to the intruders when firing on those rooms. A pistol is a superior weapon in this situation, because I can easily shoot around corners without bringing my body into sight.

Sure they can shoot through my walls - if I saw someone was just the other side of one of them, I'd do it too.

Feedback Score
    I don't leave it chambered because it dents the primer. The next thing that needs to happen to that round is fire it. I also keep my rifle muzzle down. A) It's fastest to grab. B) Can't think of any reason not to.

The G19 on the night stand next to the flashlight is gassed up and ready.
    Last edited by steeltoe; 12-20-09 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ540MN View Post
    I
    I also don't think an AR is a good home defense weapon. Even in shortest legal form (aside from SBR'd), it's far more difficult to sweep a room with than a pistol.

Lets put it this way - you know your house, the perp likely doesn't: however, they're gonna either see you pop out of a door and then have to draw on them, or they're gonna see a barrel come around a corner and know they need to pop holes in the person holding it - either one isn't a good scenario.

You can hold a pistol far closer to you and provide much shorter engagements and not have to swing your whole body to cover multiple perps.

All of this is irrelevant if your house has 14' wide hallways and large open spaces beyond every doorway. Mine doesn't.
    I agree 100%.

Seven paces -enough said.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    What's with this downloading to 28 rnds for PMAG's???

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    What's with this downloading to 28 rnds for PMAG's???
    Some magazines won't seat if you fill them with 30 rounds and try to insert them into the magwell with the bolt forward as the AR is designed to be loaded with the bolt to the rear. I believe Pmags will actually seat with the bolt forward when filled with 30 rounds so I don't know that it is necessary to only put 28 in them.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast