Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J Frames okay with the lock?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

J Frames okay with the lock?

I received a gift certificate for graduation from the academy for a local gun shop to buy a 442 (or 642) no-lock revolver. I went there yesterday to buy it and they told me that they were no longer in stock, that they were a limited run back in the spring, and they weren't sure when/if they'd get them in again.

I've read on several forums where people don't seem to trust the smith revolvers with the lock, but I was hoping for your opinion. I'm kind of leaning on getting an aimpoint with my gift certificate for the AR, and holding off until I have the money to find a no-lock version used, or from some other store. Thoughts?

thx-Chris
    "Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness." - Pulp Fiction

Feedback Score
    not in my book

there are too many J-frames out there with out locks.

Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do what you can to get a no-lock. If you can't, neuter the lock.

Contact a S&W LE distributor, or major vendor, that may have better ability to get a no-lock.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Mine has a lock. I have about 500ish rounds through it so far and no issues. I don't care for the lock as far as looks go and I understand some have had issues in harder recoiling pistols, but so far so good w/mine. If you can find one w/o a lock go for it, if not I wouldn't let it sway you from purchasing a new one.

Feedback Score
    300 rounds plus through my .357 mag with lock no problems yet, something tells me you should get the aimpoint and wait on the S&W just so you will have exactly what you want

"Because there has been so much discussion on the topic on the internet forums, let’s discuss the internal key-lock safety on the new Smith & Wesson revolvers. I do not use them, and would be perfectly happy if the guns did not have them, but they are here to stay, and cause no problems. If you want to use it to secure your gun when it is out of your reach, it is there. If you think that a kid or stranger might touch your gun when you have to leave it at home for some reason, like when flying on commercial aircraft, use it. If you don’t want to use the lock, just ignore it. I always hear of some guy, who knew a guy, whose cousin’s friend had the lock to activate itself, but have never yet heard from anyone with first-hand experience with this. I have several of the S&W revolvers that have the key lock, and have never had a problem. My 342PD that I carry everyday has always fired without fail anytime that I have pulled the trigger. I trust my life daily to the little gun, and do not worry at all about the key lock. If it bothers you, take it out and throw it away, or grind off the cam, but it is crazy to let the key lock stop you from buying the best pocket revolver on the market."

by Jeff Quinn
    Gunblast.com

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-340MP.htm

one mans opinion and I have no first hand knowledge of it happening
    Last edited by LockenLoad; 12-27-09 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    Hundreds and hundreds of rounds over the years. Threw away the key and never looked back. Actually in my pocket as we speak.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your dealer is wrong, the no lock 442 and 642 are still made. Have them contact RSR, they are a gun distributor, and tell him to order you one. They have over 12hundred 642s in stock and about 650 442s as of just before Christmas.
    Here's a link with SKU numbers to give him so he knows what to order....
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...rnal-lock.html
    I'd get the no lock. As a matter of fact I have one of each. If anything for peace of mind.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy S&W revolver with lock

Remove sideplate

Cock hammer

Remove hammer

Remove lock arm (aka the flag)

Remove lock arm spring

Store lock arm and spring in bag

Reinstall hammer

Reinstall sideplate

Enjoy no-lock reliability

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just ordered from Smith a M442 No Lock SKU:150544 yesterday. They even have a new Pro Model 442/642 for moon clips and no lock on the website.

CD

M642 no lock SKU: 103810
    M642 Pro Series no lock, cut for moon clips SKU: 178042
    M442 Pro Series no lock, cut for moon clips SKU: 178041
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LockenLoad View Post
    "Because there has been so much discussion on the topic on the internet forums, let’s discuss the internal key-lock safety on the new Smith & Wesson revolvers. I do not use them, and would be perfectly happy if the guns did not have them, but they are here to stay, and cause no problems. If you want to use it to secure your gun when it is out of your reach, it is there. If you think that a kid or stranger might touch your gun when you have to leave it at home for some reason, like when flying on commercial aircraft, use it. If you don’t want to use the lock, just ignore it. I always hear of some guy, who knew a guy, whose cousin’s friend had the lock to activate itself, but have never yet heard from anyone with first-hand experience with this. I have several of the S&W revolvers that have the key lock, and have never had a problem. My 342PD that I carry everyday has always fired without fail anytime that I have pulled the trigger. I trust my life daily to the little gun, and do not worry at all about the key lock. If it bothers you, take it out and throw it away, or grind off the cam, but it is crazy to let the key lock stop you from buying the best pocket revolver on the market."

by Jeff Quinn Gunblast.com
    http://www.gunblast.com/SW-340MP.htm
    There are a number of first hand accounts of lock seizure around, experienced and observed, by credible folks. Not sure why Jeff has missed them.

If the gun is life support equipment, get one without a lock or neuter it.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast