Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: J Frames okay with the lock?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    And I disagree with him. It's hearsay and speculation without a case cite.
    I think his reputation in the gun industry and self-defense qualify him as an SME, and he should probably be listened to. I think he probably has contacts in law enforcement and the legal field that have given him advice in many, many areas concerning firearms, and that's why his opinion is valid.

I deactivated the STORAGE lock on my J frame a long time ago and lose zero sleep over it.
    More power to ya. If I decide I just can't stand a handgun with the lock, I think I'd trade off that gun for one without the lock before removing the lock and potentially opening a can of worms.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 11-17-14 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I think his reputation in the gun industry and self-defense qualify him as an SME
    Maybe so. But it does not make him infallible.

Feedback Score
    Have your gunsmith install an apex trigger kit. While he's at it, have him disable the lock.

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid49.html

Also, put a crimson trace laser grip on it & you will be set.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    The thought occurred to me that there might be a "work around" as far as the possible liability of removing the lock.

The fitting where you stick the key is held in by a spring and is its own sub-assembly. If you remove just the lock plate and the torsion spring attached to it as per the YouTube video, the outside of the gun looks just the same as if the lock were still there except for the tiny hole for the locking plate's pivot pin. As long as you don't mind still having that "ugly" fitting for the key on the outside of the frame, no one would know at a glance that the lock plate has been removed.

If you were involved in a shooting, as long as you keep your mouth shut and don't admit to removing the lock, I tend to doubt that anyone is going to detail-strip your pistol. Even better, if you acquired the gun second-hand, who's to know that you are the one that removed the lock?

Remember, from the outside the gun looks the same because the fitting for the key is still there. If called on it you could always shrug your shoulders and say, "I never used the lock. I guess the former owner removed it."

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    ...........If you were involved in a shooting, as long as you keep your mouth shut........
    This is the most important part of building a defense for yourself should you be involved in a deadly force incident.

E-mails and internet activity are discoverable in civil litigation and I suspect the same would apply to criminal prosecution.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Wait to get a no-lock. They aren't hard to find in 442/642. It's a no brainer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kantstudien View Post
    Wait to get a no-lock. They aren't hard to find in 442/642. It's a no brainer
    I think everyone agrees on that point.

Still, there are people who have or have recently acquired one with the lock not knowing any better.

As I said, in my case I got a screamin' deal on the gun, so with plenty of money left over to spend on ammo I decided to chance getting it even though it has the lock.

Feedback Score
    I have a 342-1 that I bought years ago (originally for my wife). Apparently we got it right when the locks started being installed on that model. I had my local shop order one and when it came in, I was surprised to see this odd circular thing above the cylinder release - I had no idea what it was, but once I found out I figured, "oh well, an extra feature". Years later I come to find out that people have had issues with them and was kinda irritated that I had the misfortune to order ours just a little too late. At any rate, we've put 307 rounds through it so far without issue. This model is probably the worst case for potential issues due to its very light weight, but I absolutely love it. Yes, I would prefer the pre-lock version, but like I said, no problems so far.

I've come to realize that the 342 with a Remora holster is the perfect summer carry setup - very light, corrosion resistant materials, option to pocket carry, only have to conceal a very small grip if carrying IWB.
    Last edited by Talking Monkey; 11-19-14 at 14:49.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567