Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a SEATTLE/EVERETT/etc shoot, for all you northern foreigners?

Feedback Score

Pictures

Here are a few photos of the event today. I really enjoyed the experience and met a bunch of great guys. I would have taken more pictures, but I was busy shooting!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the 10th photograph down... isn't that an issue in WA?

Feedback Score
    Very nice pics JLSKIP...it was great to meet and shoot with you and the rest of the guys today .
    Thanks again to Jeff M from InSights Training Center for organizing this training/shoot and getting us access to the Cascade range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What'd you guys do? let's here a rundown!

Feedback Score
    I'm sure Jeff M will post a AAR sometime soon but a quick rundown...we shot a bunch of drills from the 7yd. and 10yd. line working on offsets at this close range.
    Shooting on the move at multiple targets at a diagonal...both from the right and left sides.
    We shot steel plates at I believe 100,150 and 200yds. from both prone and kneeling.
    We finished the day by reconfirming our weapons zero at 50yds.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Go4broke covered our activities pretty well. A lot of basic drills, but given the wide range of skill levels this was appropriate.

We had some novice shooters, some with intermediate and advanced knowledge, and some experienced SWAT officers. Jeff did a great job using the drills to teach basic skills to the beginners and allow the advanced shooters to practice things they normally can't on a square range.

It also gave some of us a chance to see how our setups ran in a typical class environment. Running your kit dry in the living room or garage is no substitute for actual range time. I know I will be making some tweaks to my kit based on our time at the range.

Thanks to Jeff from Insights for the great opportunity to come and work on these skills. He was very generous with his time and I know we all appreciated it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    the 10th photograph down... isn't that an issue in WA?
    Notice the lack of magazine in the rifle.

I'm sure you probably know this, but in the state of Washington, you can own and attach a silencer to your rifle. To fire the weapon with the silencer attached would be a misdemeanor.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post
    It also gave some of us a chance to see how our setups ran in a typical class environment. Running your kit dry in the living room or garage is no substitute for actual range time. I know I will be making some tweaks to my kit based on our time at the range.
    getting out of your element induces the problems that never pop up during regular personal range time... thats half of why these events are so important. you're running drills that press you, running drills that make you manipulate and move in ways you usually don't, etc... i find a gear compatibility problem at every event, if not two or three.

last event, for instance, i discovered that i can't keep a can of chew in my pocket with the way i recently configured my pistol mag pouches... who would of thought?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLSKIP View Post
    Notice the lack of magazine in the rifle.

I'm sure you probably know this, but in the state of Washington, you can own and attach a silencer to your rifle. To fire the weapon with the silencer attached would be a misdemeanor.
    indeed... IIRC, the statute states "use of" is prohibited, and "use of" has been defined by case-law as the firing of the weapon with a suppressor attached.

i had not noticed there was no mag in the well... i just saw the pic and made an assumption!

well the oregon shoots, CRPC being close to washington, are great places to put them 'pressors to use

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It was a good day. As previously stated, we had a variety of skill and experience levels. The feedback was that everyone got something out of our time.

As is typically in most training, people got an idea of what gear actually works and what gear makes your job more difficult. Fighting the bad guy is hard enough. The purpose of equipment is to make your job easier not harder. Your tactics and skill should drive your equipment selection, not the other way around. Without a well defined set of tactics and skill it is difficult to decide what works and what does not. For new shooters, the best thing to do is start out with a rifle and a simple sling. Then start to add stuff as you gain more experience.

Safety is always paramount. Unfortunately, it is often either not emphasized or more often not properly understood. The Universal Firearms Handling Rules are exactly that, “Universal.” They are for all places all time everywhere, even a gun fight. Unfortunately, many bastardize the UFHR and change them into ineffective range rules. Handling your gun in the 360 degree real world is a new concept for some. The UFHR must be properly understood and internalized for safe and effective gun handling.

- Safety brief
    - Ready positions from 5 to 10 yards
    - The effect of offset at close range
    - Ready positions multiple shots on the same target
    - Ready positions multiple shots on multiple targets
    - Off balance shooting positions
    - Shooting on the move forward
    - Shooting on the move diagonal left and right
    - Prone, kneeling, and standing on steel at 100 yards
    - Prone on steel at 150 yards
    - Prone on steel at 200 yards
    - Unconventional shooting positions behind barricades on steel at 100 yards
    - Adjust zero and more steel shooting at distance

The purpose of the day was to run some drills to practice skills, not necessarily to be instruction on the basics of running a defensive rifle. I think we effectively met that objective, and the by product was that it was a crash course in defensive rifle for some of the newer shooters.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work.

Jeff
    Insights Training Center
    Tenicor

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast