Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can you make fire

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    A water proof "match" container might be a good way to store some tinder. I think I could jam in a good amount into one of those containers. Or just carry2-3 containers if need be.
    I have two screw top containers about the size of a tennis ball container packed tight with dryer lint. It can of course be repacked into smaller containers if needed for less bulk for transport.

Feedback Score
    1. A hot Catalytic Converter.
    2. A hot exhaust manifold.

Feedback Score
    Chlorine pool tablets and Brake fluid. I've never tried it but rather heard it from a Fireman, after these two materials had accidentally come into contact with oneanother at a local retail store, apparently the brake fluid was on a shelf above the Chlorine and some how leaked onto it setting a fire. I would'nt want to stick around and inhale the fumes from it though, that would likely result in bad things.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 01-07-10 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    KYPD- If we find either of those in the middle of wilderness, we may just sleep in the car and listen to the radio if possible.

Gemini- So it starts a fire but kills you in the process?
    Last edited by 6933; 01-07-10 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    Survivorman used a rifle and ammo on the north pole episode
    Last edited by Wes1977; 01-07-10 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes1977 View Post
    Survivorman used a rifle and ammo on the north pole episode
    Yup, they did it on mythbusters too. The thing is, as I vaguely remember, they had to find grade A tinder material and specially selected ammo. So, it worked, but only because they made it work - in their workshop, not the north pole.

Belly button fluff is good tinder, only kidding.

Here's one for you. lay matches on a sheet of non stick and then drip a wax coating on them. It keeps them dry and useable and the wax helps the burn.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    Here's one for you. lay matches on a sheet of non stick and then drip a wax coating on them. It keeps them dry and useable and the wax helps the burn.
    We used to do the same thing by dipping wooden matches in melted canning parafin. Worked well.

As a kid I'd never went camping until my best friend's family began to take me. His Dad always gave us one match to start the campfire. One shot or we simply set around in the dark. Believe me, you got fairly good at starting a fire the first time. Of course it wasn't under adverse or survival conditions either.

As to the original question:
    Magnesium stick
    Flint and Steel (the old way)
    Magnifying glass
    Battery and steel wool
    Bic lighter
    Wooden matches from waterproof container.
    Railroad flare (long story )

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    A water proof "match" container might be a good way to store some tinder. I think I could jam in a good amount into one of those containers. Or just carry2-3 containers if need be.
    Go to the photo processing shop or Walgreens or CVS and scrounge up some 35mm film containers, they make good tinder and match containers.
    For long term storage or to make sure the contents stay dry till you need them you can put a thin bead of silicone around the lid before closing.

Here you go, I took some pics:

On the Left: 35mm film container, strike anywhere matches, ziploc baggy with 2 vaseline coated cottonwool balls and strips of bicycle wheel inner tube around the film container.

On the Right: A $1.99 match case from the camping section of Wallyworld, strike anywhere matches, ziploc baggy with two vaseline coated cottonwool balls and and strips of bicycle wheel inner tube around the match container.

Light a piece of bicycle wheel innertube and place it into your fire kindling. It works a treat ........ nearly as good as a flare.

[/URL]

Feedback Score
    A film canister filled with vaseline-smeared cotton balls does work really well. My wife was quite impressed with one little fluffed cotton ball drying our soaked tinder and allowing us to get a fire lit on a camping trip last year.
    Last edited by rso; 02-25-10 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    Here one for you guys to try , that bug spray that you have with you to keep the bugs away,......just take some dry tinder and give it a spray or to and light a match and you are good to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast