Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piece by piece, or use a kit?

Feedback Score
    Sorry about the hi-jack without answering the original question.......I would definitely build a pistol from the ground up. Its the only way to get EXACTLY what YOU want. Also, scrimp and save till you can buy what you want......don't go cheap and look to upgrade later. You will end up wasting A LOT of money that way.
    Μολὼν Λαβέ

Feedback Score
    Alright, so the consensus is build it piece-by-piece. Now I need to figure out if want to build a pistol, or a rifle.

Like I said earlier, this weapon system will be used for the following reasons:
    1. Develop a strong comfort with the 5.56 AR-specific platform, so as to be proficient when I deploy
    2. Home defense
    3. To use during tactical training

I don't need it to have bells and whistles and shoot a perfect every time. I just need it to be reliable, a fair shot, and rugged. If I'm crawling through the mud, I want to be able to get up and shoot.

At the same time, I don't have gratuitous amounts of money in the bank, and I'll still need to afford ammo, so I'm looking for an inexpensive build. Focus my money and time on what's important.

What's the good word here? Rifle, or Pistol?

-Mike

Feedback Score
    Well, since you are going to be deployed, I would not build a pistol. I would build and practice with what you will be issued. Just build a standard sized M4'gery rifle without all the bells and whistles. If you have the funds, put an Aimpoint on it and practice......practice......practice.

Thanks for your service, good luck and may God keep you safe.
    Last edited by Overton-AR; 01-02-10 at 17:47. Reason: type-o
    Μολὼν Λαβέ

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i concure- AR pistol and carbine shooting are totally different things. the pistol is hand held and recoil management is all hands/arms... carbines are shoulder-fired weapons and recoil is mostly absorbed by the shoulder, with support arm maintaining muzzle control

totally different dynamics, especially with rapid fire.

what are you going to be issued? build it as close as you can- which should be basically identical except for your muzzle device (unless you SBR it).

i'd also recommend looking at local training opportunities, since the AF isn't going to do anything for you. where are you located?
    Last edited by bkb0000; 01-02-10 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the support guys.

Also, you've made excellent points, so I'll need to start research M4 build-ups. Any suggestions on where to start?

I'll be stationed on the East Coast for the next year, then probably deploy.

-Mike

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    everything you need to know https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

manfers to look for: colt (expensive), LMT, BCM, Sabre, with CMT acceptable for some parts. Magpul, tango down, and Vltor for plastics.

depending on where you are on the east coast, check your local laws.. only half the east coast states are what we call Free States. magazine and muzzle device restrictions abound.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 01-02-10 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    I travel between PA, NJ, and occasionally MA. That's actually one of the reasons I was considering building a pistol, for ease of transport across state lines, but it'll probably stay at home in PA.

-Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12