Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 comparison thread?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    The Valor is going to Heinie Straight-8s for the 2010 model year. Also going way up in price, per the 1911forum.com forums. There will be a stainless model (MSRP ~$1650) and a black model (with their metal treatment that's similar to Melonite/Black Diamond) for a touch over $2k MSRP.

Dan Wesson puts out a good product, but the Valors are within a couple hundred street price on some models of Brown/Wilson and just about equal to a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. That will be a tough sell, IMHO.
    About a year ago I remember seeing them for around $1,100. - $1,150 at Bud's and on GB. Looks like whatever the best bang for the buck is, usually ends up going up, in bucks.

I ended up purchasing one of the more expensive offerings on your end-list and was quite disapointed, I wish I had bought the Wesson. The best pistol in those deep waters, in my opinion, is made by Ed Brown.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    At the risk of not starting another 1911 thread, is there a comparison thread for quality 1911's for the money. I've searched and read many threads bashing kimber and taurus. Praises for Springfield. I would like a more extensive and objective comparison between manufacturers if there is one. Any links please? Thanks.

The trouble is that Sprinfield and Kimber have been building a ton of 1911's in a ton of variations with quality control that has had its ups and downs over a span of many years. There are too many variables for any real meaningful or extensive comparison in my opinion.

With Kimber and Sprinfield's non-custom shop guns, it is a bit like rolling the dice. I have had great luck with Kimber, but all of mine are older - I think they are all atleast 5 years old or older. New Kimbers do not have a very good reputation.

If you are just getting into 1911's there are at least 2 great buys in the EE of this forum right now. One Yost 1* with a well documented past and a Wilson that appears to be thoroughly tested. There may be others as well.

In my opinion, you cannot get something for nothing when it comes to 1911's. Either you pay for quality in the begining (price tag of $1,500 or more) or you gamble on an inexpensive 1911. However, if you chose the later, do not be surprised if you find out that you have a 1911 that is unreliable or has a part break.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out 10-8 forums, plenty of information on the 1911.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    The Valor is going to Heinie Straight-8s for the 2010 model year. Also going way up in price, per the 1911forum.com forums. There will be a stainless model (MSRP ~$1650) and a black model (with their metal treatment that's similar to Melonite/Black Diamond) for a touch over $2k MSRP.

Dan Wesson puts out a good product, but the Valors are within a couple hundred street price on some models of Brown/Wilson and just about equal to a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. That will be a tough sell, IMHO.
    If the pricing you quote is accurate, they have ruined the perfect niche that they filled....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    The trouble is that Sprinfield and Kimber have been building a ton of 1911's in a ton of variations with quality control that has had its ups and downs over a span of many years. There are too many variables for any real meaningful or extensive comparison in my opinion.

With Kimber and Sprinfield's non-custom shop guns, it is a bit like rolling the dice. I have had great luck with Kimber, but all of mine are older - I think they are all atleast 5 years old or older. New Kimbers do not have a very good reputation.

If you are just getting into 1911's there are at least 2 great buys in the EE of this forum right now. One Yost 1* with a well documented past and a Wilson that appears to be thoroughly tested. There may be others as well.

In my opinion, you cannot get something for nothing when it comes to 1911's. Either you pay for quality in the begining (price tag of $1,500 or more) or you gamble on an inexpensive 1911. However, if you chose the later, do not be surprised if you find out that you have a 1911 that is unreliable or has a part break.
    agreed. the life cycle of a quality 1911 is SO long, that used guns are the only way i'll go at this point, even if i'm getting a base pistol for a gunsmith-build. there really is no need to pay for a brand-new pistol when there are quality used one's right now. i'm looking hard at the one that David referred to. it would make a great carry/HD gun, for sure

Kent
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    If the pricing you quote is accurate, they have ruined the perfect niche that they filled....
    they did ruin it. over $1900. they had a great thing going

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-valor/
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

ToddG Guest
    Hmm, comparing 1911s.

I'd compare them to Ford Mustangs.

The Mustang has been around for a long time and many consider them classics.

Many of the "classic" Mustangs can't actually meet modern standards of reliability and performance, but fans like to pretend they did.

A lot of people think they're wicked cool. The majority of people who own them don't actually own one of the wicked cool ones, but like to pretend they do.

Most people who own them can't actually do anything with them that they couldn't do with a Corolla, but they like to pretend they could.

A lot more people own 6cyl Mustangs than own GT500s but every Mustang owner acts like he's got a GT500.

If you beat a Mustang owner, he'll blame the road or say you're just a more skilled driver. If a Mustang owner beats you, he'll tell you how much better his car is than yours.

Comparisons are fun!
    Last edited by ToddG; 01-04-10 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Hmm, comparing 1911s.

Many of the "classic" Mustangs can't actually meet modern standards of reliability and performance, but fans like to pretend they did.

A lot of people think they're wicked cool. The majority of people who own them don't actually own one of the wicked cool ones, but like to pretend they do.

Most people who own them can't actually do anything with them that they couldn't do with a Corolla, but they like to pretend they could.

A lot more people own 6cyl Mustangs than own GT500s but every Mustang owner acts like he's got a GT500.

If you beat a Mustang owner, he'll blame the road or say you're just a more skilled driver. If a Mustang owner beats you, he'll tell you how much better his car is than yours.

Comparisons are fun!
    Do you see a lot of 1911's fail in your profession? Do you see any makes of 1911 that stand out as better or worse in your opinion?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Hmm, comparing 1911s.

Comparisons are fun!

some of us even have humor. as a diehard 1911 guy and a former owner of a 65 mustang, i found this downright funny

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    some of us even have humor. as a diehard 1911 guy and a former owner of a 65 mustang, i found this downright funny
    Funny, but also very accurate.

I always hated the 4 cyl mustangs of the 80's.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast