Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 comparison thread?

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt LE6920 View Post
    Do you see a lot of 1911's fail in your profession? Do you see any makes of 1911 that stand out as better or worse in your opinion?
    The most honest assessment I can offer is that it's more about the person than the gun. Someone who understands how to make a 1911 work is going to be fine... he's probably got good parts that are properly fitted in a quality gun. Someone who bought a 1911 simply because The Internet told him to is likely going to have all sorts of problems.

If I were going to buy a 1911 for myself, I honestly don't know where I'd start. Actually, I do. I'd call Larry Vickers and buy whatever he told me to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If I were going to buy a 1911 for myself, I honestly don't know where I'd start. Actually, I do. I'd call Larry Vickers and buy whatever he told me to.
    Yes, Larry has a very short list of recommendations.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The most honest assessment I can offer is that it's more about the person than the gun. Someone who understands how to make a 1911 work is going to be fine... he's probably got good parts that are properly fitted in a quality gun. Someone who bought a 1911 simply because The Internet told him to is likely going to have all sorts of problems.

I own two 1911's that have no internal modifications. A SW1911PD and an early Sig Arms GSR. I'm confident in them both, but I have been considering the practicality of a Glock lately. The reputation, parts availability, and simplicity of operation are pretty attractive.
    That being said, however, the 1911 is a battle-proven firearm, there are many replacement parts for it, and it isn't difficult to operate. My SW has given me no problems since about 500rds. It has well over 1,000 now. The Sig is 500rds into its break-in and I've had zero problems with it.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BT2012 View Post
    Yes, Larry has a very short list of recommendations.
    Are these recommendations available for my viewing pleasure?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt LE6920 View Post
    Are these recommendations available for my viewing pleasure?
    He gave the thumbs up on Wilson, NH, Ed Brown, Les Baer and Springfield Custom. Only 5" barrels are recommended and if you had any 1911s with shorter barrels running reliably go buy yourself a lotto ticket .

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I will echo others in their recommendations of the information to be obtained at 10-8 performance and 10-8 forums.com. Hilton Yam and the people who post there make their recommendations on daily use. Few guns get abused and mistreated like an open carry duty gun. I have owned 1911's of all types now and I will give my experience.

Kimber: I owned two, and neither of them ever proved reliable. I know some work for alot of poeple, my two examples did not. Both of these were commander (or Kimbers verison of) length guns.

Les Baer: I owned a full size 5" Thunder Ranch for a long time and it was a great gun. It never malfunctioned and ran like a top. I regretfully sold it off to fund another project and I wish I had not (do in no part to the fact that it was serial number TRS0098!).

Wilson Combat: I owned a CQB compact which was nothing but trouble from the word go. It would not even reliably feed factory manufactured 230 grain hardball. It went shortly after I purchased it and began testing it for carry use.

Springfield Custom: My current 1911 is a custom carry built from the ground up by the Springfield Custom Shop. It is a full size, steel framed gun and is the finest 1911 I have ever had my hands on (those of you who are familiar with Springfield Custom can relate to their quality). Has never malfunctioned, is a tack driver and also looks good to boot.

MARS Armament Colt Axiom: This is currently being built as I type this so I don't know yet. Given Steve Morrisons reputation, and my conversations with him, plus his work on one of my M4 uppers I have no doubt it will be the equal or better than my Springfield Custom. This is also a full size steel frame 1911.

In short, the only 1911's I have had problems with are non full size guns. Not to say that the smaller formats can't be made to run right, it's just a crap shoot sometiemes. This feeling is echoed by 10-8 performance. You just have to realize that there are few bargains to be had in the 1911 world. Hilton's web site explains it best by saying "you can buy two to four of the current duty handguns for what you would spend on one good to go 1911."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Kimber Warrior was nothing but trouble. I ditched it after 3 trips to two different gunsmiths.

While some people have had very good examples, other people have had far less success.

10-8 no longer recommends the Warrior, as this thread linked indicates: http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...true#Post56972

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So, it seems a lot of people have had various problems with a variety of different 1911's regardless of make and model. The reoccurring theme seems to be: 5" model and stay away from Kimber. All others, Les Baer, DW, Colt, S&W, SA, Wilson, etc....we're pretty much rolling the dice?? I've been browsing the other fourms as I"ve been suggested, and I've heard less complaints about S&W than any other model. Colt S70 seems to also get good reviews. I don't have $2000 or more to really play with. I'm still working on a AR build. I think I'm going to go with the S&W or possibly Colt gold cup match S70. It seems like the "safest" bet in a platform of unknown reliability. Although I'll keep my eye on the EE...unfortunately, this will be a layaway item for probably a month...did I mention I'm purchasing an M&P 45 as well? Ahhhh, no children or wifey....it could be worse! Thanks for all the help everyone! Oh, one last question, anyone play around with DW's 10mm 1911??
    Last edited by rocket; 01-04-10 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
    In short, the only 1911's I have had problems with are non full size guns. Not to say that the smaller formats can't be made to run right, it's just a crap shoot sometiemes.
    I really think you are on to something. I own Springfields, Kimbers, even an el-cheapo Rock Island G.I. model. All have been great guns, but all are full size models with good mags.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Excellent Analysis

There is some true wisdom in this post. I have seen every brand have some issues and every brand hit home runs. If anything, the operator's understanding of the platform seems to be the deciding factor.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast