Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen Water Supply

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Frozen Water Supply

Hey All,

Been getting back into winter sports for the first time in years!!! It's great, and I'm loving every minute of it. My fiance and I just went snow shoeing today for the first time, it was -10 with the wind chill, 15 degrees without. I have been using an Eberlstock bag as my pack, and have for the first time started using a CamelBack water supply. I used it during the hunting season, and on one day I had slush start to form in the tube, and I was able to suck it through and keep the water moving. That day I was out for 7 hours with no problems.

But today in just over an hour and a half my water supply was completely frozen, and I couldn't get movement through the tube.

Any suggestions from the more seasoned winter sports people out there???
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Wear the camel back under one of the outer layers, and remember to always clear the line after drinking.
    To clear the line simply blow into the fitting.

Ive wondered if there is some sort of battery powered heating available you can run in between the bladder and the pack.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    Wear the camel back under one of the outer layers, and remember to always clear the line after drinking.
    To clear the line simply blow into the fitting.

Ive wondered if there is some sort of battery powered heating available you can run in between the bladder and the pack.
    An electric wetsuit heater might work.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    handwarmers will keep the water from freezing in the bladder.. isn't gonna help that much with the tube, though.

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    You are stepping on it. Take a backpacking stove and melt it. Good time for hot coffee or tea. Or layer a light jacket under your main outerware and put water bottles or canteen in jacket pockets, your body heat will prevent water from freezing. Stay Warm

Feedback Score
    I dunno how your water bladder is configured ao it may not work. But, get a pair of BIG wooly socks and put the bladder inside those before you drop it in the pack. Also consider an additive, a pinch of salt and sugar will lower the freezing temperature a tad aswell as giving you a poor mans isotonic drink.

Personally, I take out my MSR and make hot chocolate with lots of sugar.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They do also have insulated hoses, if you ever have the issue of the tube freezing...

http://www.botachtactical.com/camelbak4505.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone! You all gave me a lot to think about and I can't wait to try everything.
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    seriously- Hot Hands handwarmers. they're like $0.50 each if you buy them individually, or like $50 for a box of 5,000,000,000,000 from costco. stick them in a sandwich bag, so the sweat on the bladder doesn't get them wet, and slide them right in. works like a prayer.

do camelbaks not come with insulated tubes anymore?? all three of mine came with insulated hoses- but i bought 'em all years and years ago. how freaken cheap can they be about it?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Insulated tubes on a camelbak will delay freezing but won't stop it. When I'm hunting cold weather I wear it under my outerwear.

Adding a little bit of salt won't change the freezing point by much, maybe a degree or two. Presuming you don't want to drink full-on saltwater a pinch isn't enough to really make a difference except between 28-32 Fahrenheit any colder and it's still going to freeze.

In really cold weather canteens or a thermos are a better choice.

In a cold weather survival situation melt anything before you drink it. Do NOT eat snow.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast