Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMMG .22lr uppers and aftermarket AR triggers

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

CMMG .22lr uppers and aftermarket AR triggers

I emailed CMMG about whether their .22lr uppers work well with aftermarket AR triggers (e.g., Geissele).

Response:
    There is no good way to answer on the 2 stage triggers. Typically we don't see an issue but there are times were a customer will have to go to a heavier hammer spring so that they get good primer strikes. The firing pin can also be filed down some to give it less surface area. That gives it a harder deeper strike with a lighter spring. I know that isn't the best answer considering the cost of those triggers but it is kind of a try it and adjust type of situation to get it to work.
    Anyone running CMMG .22lr uppers with Geissele triggers? Are you getting light strikes?
    Last edited by evilblackrifle; 06-24-13 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    Find me a box of 22LR and give me a few weeks for the rest of my parts to arrive and Ill let you know.

I wouldnt be too worried about it if you plan to use a Geissele. They all have full strength hammer springs. Of couse if Im wrong Ill have to eat my shoe... since the CMMG upper and the SD-E came to around $700 by themselves.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Re: CMMG .22lr uppers and aftermarket AR triggers

Feedback Score
    Geissele utilizes full force hammer springs in their triggers. I have yet to experience any issues with my CMMG conversion kit with any of the Geissele triggers (e.g., SSA, SSA-E, SD-C, or SD-E).

Feedback Score
    Not quite what you are asking but maybe this helps. I have a Spikes Tactical complete upper that I run with a Geissele SSA and have never had any issue that wasn't usually related to being Rem Golden Bullets suck. Everything else (CCI, Federal bulk pack, Win, BVAC) has been nearly flawless.

Pete

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    this is a common issue with cmmg .22 bolt carrier group.

if you have another .22 rifle/pistol compare the spent casings from each gun. i can almost PROMISE the firing pin impact from the cmmg will be at least 1/3 longer than any other gun you have.

if that is the case take out the cmmg's firing pin and grind down 1/3 of the of it from where the center of the casing is outward (DO NOT GRIND THE OUTSIDE EDGE OF THE FIRING PIN)

in short your light strikes will look like this

(not my pictures, stolen from the interwebs)

you want to grind off enough of the firing pin for them to look like this

i havent had a light strike since

Feedback Score
    TACCOM also makes upgraded firing pins for CMMG style bolts if youd rather not do the grinding thing.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger89 View Post
    TACCOM also makes upgraded firing pins for CMMG style bolts if youd rather not do the grinding thing.
    Does Taccom sell bolts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evilblackrifle View Post
    Does Taccom sell bolts?
    They don't list them for sale separately on their website, but they make them and they are included in their upper assemblies. Their site is a little sparse on information concerning them, but they do mention that they include the enhanced firing pin and the pressure plug (2 of the 3 parts in the 22LR Reliability Kit - sold separately), and they are tig welded and nickle plated... no mention of what the base material is. Maybe a phone call is in order? They could probably tell you if they are willing to sell one separately as well.

Honestly, I'd just stick with the CMMG stainless bolt and pick up the TACCOM Reliability Kit if you're concerned or have fail-to-fire/fail-to-eject issues. That's my game plan anyway.

Feedback Score
    While my upper is not a CMMG, but I do have first gen Spike ST22 and SSA-E in my lower. Its 100%.
    Last edited by Pittwm; 06-28-13 at 01:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast