Thread: "Tier 2" rifle enhacements

Feedback Score

"Tier 2" rifle enhacements

Not to start another "tiering" debate - but I have two RRA rifles that I am very happy with. No issues so far.

In reading all the wealth of onformation on this site, I have come to know a few possible shortcoming of my rifles. Such as carrier key staking, non-milspec buffer tubes, etc. I have also seen mentions of things regarding the firing pin, extractor springs, etc.

What I am looking for is a laundry list of relatively simple, no gunsmith required, parts and mods that and expert, if they owned these rifles, would make to improve long term reliability.

Neither of my rifles carry the commerical tube anymore, the ACE SOCOM stock replaced it entirely with something I hope is good, and my dealer put a Milspec tube on the other when installing the non-Commercial CTR stock.

If anyone can point me in the direction of such info, or put together a quick list, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to all.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
    Not to start another "tiering" debate - but I have two RRA rifles that I am very happy with. No issues so far.

In reading all the wealth of onformation on this site, I have come to know a few possible shortcoming of my rifles. Such as carrier key staking, non-milspec buffer tubes, etc. I have also seen mentions of things regarding the firing pin, extractor springs, etc.

What I am looking for is a laundry list of relatively simple, no gunsmith required, parts and mods that and expert, if they owned these rifles, would make to improve long term reliability.

Neither of my rifles carry the commerical tube anymore, the ACE SOCOM stock replaced it entirely with something I hope is good, and my dealer put a Milspec tube on the other when installing the non-Commercial CTR stock.

If anyone can point me in the direction of such info, or put together a quick list, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks to all.
    I would look into upgrading the extractor insert, extractor spring and adding a Crane O-Ring. I would also install either an H or H2 buffer. When your buffer spring wears out, look to replace it with a CS spring (like ISMI).

Carry a spare bolt for sure and maybe a spare retaining pin and firing pin.

C4

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I had heard some say the RRA firing pin was undersized or in some way wimpy ... as was the retaining pin. Is that a true statement? If so, what brands would you suggest for replacement?

Thanks again for the info.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I had heard some say the RRA firing pin was undersized or in some way wimpy ... as was the retaining pin. Is that a true statement? If so, what brands would you suggest for replacement?

I really haven't seen a lot of RRA firing pins so I cannot say. I generally use LMT or CMT firing pins in my BCG's.

C4

Feedback Score
    I assume that the RRA carbines have a "standard" buffer. The H and H2 buffers - they slow down the cycle rate of the rifle, correct? Does this aid in extraction or something?

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I assume that the RRA carbines have a "standard" buffer. The H and H2 buffers - they slow down the cycle rate of the rifle, correct? Does this aid in extraction or something?

Thanks again.
    They do use a carbine buffer (lightest made). The heavier buffers increase lock time. They reduce felt recoil.

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I've never seen any problems with RRA firing pin nor firing pin retaining pins. When I buy bolts for myself I use CMT or Colt firing pins and Yellow Tavern firing pin retaining pins.

I'd do everything that Grant said and would keep an extra cam pin along w/your spare bolt.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the advice. I ordered some BCM extractor upgrade kits and an H2 buffer from Bravo Company. I'll put the buffer in the standard length carbine - I am going to leave my mid-length alone for the time being.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks for all the advice. I ordered some BCM extractor upgrade kits and an H2 buffer from Bravo Company. I'll put the buffer in the standard length carbine - I am going to leave my mid-length alone for the time being.

Sounds good. I wouldn't put an H2 in your middy, but an H buffer would work just fine.

Remember that there are several wear items in your AR. They are your extractor insert, extractor spring, Crane O-Ring and buffer spring. These items tend to wear out at or around the 3-5K range so it is always good to keep a log book on how many rounds have been fired through the weapon.

C4

Feedback Score
    I was surprised when I shot my middy for the first time last week how much smoother and nicer it was to shoot than the standard carbine length. The extra two inches of length in the gas system really seems to make a difference. All my future AR's will probably be mid-length systems. The standard carbine length gas system just seemed so much more harsh and "twangy."