Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WANABEES #$%&!!

Feedback Score

WANABEES #$%&!!

Sorry guys up front for ranting....

Is it just me or are we constantly seeing "AR" shooters in the pictures and showing up at training events that are out of shape and over weight?

It seems odd that one could spend so much money and effort to buy all the cool guns and gear to partcipate in the "Tactical" lifestyle, but yet give no consideration to getting in shape. Do they not understand that physical fitness is the foundation of being a good tactical operator. Not to mention that they are more likely to die from the heart attack or stroke looming on their horizon, than from an active shooter or other violent threat.

Maybe we need to make physical fitness the new "gucci" accessory of the "tactical" scene.

If I offended anyone I am sorry... However I must admitted I had to have this same talk with myself at one time.
    Last edited by CAPT KIRK; 01-12-10 at 10:45.
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This won't end well, just so you know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, now that you're in shape you can thumb your nose at the "fatties"? That'd be like a drug user kicking the habit then chastising those that are still addicted for being stupid. Sure, he may have wised up, but that doesn't make his decision making process any more morally superior throughout his life as a whole.

I've overweight, I didn't used to be. Life happened, I got an office job and BOOM, the pounds started packing on. I'm on a workout program right now and trying to slim down, but it'll take a lot longer to take it off than it did to pack it on. I guess I'll be one of those people that just enjoys shooting and learning until I meet the weight prerequisite of the "gucci gunman".

Besides, not everyone wants or thinks they're "tactical operators". I know for a fact that I'm not. I sit in an office all day punching keys. I shoot on the weekends and sometimes on Wednesday because I like it and it's a fun distraction from the outwardly boring job I have. Can I fix that too? You bet, but it'll take time, just like losing the weight.

Be mindful of standing on the same soap box that wouldn't have bore your weight prior to your enlightenment, it might still creek a little.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The problem is you can't buy, fondle, mount, or "run" (as in "I run my SF M600C at 3 o'clock with an SR07 mounted at 12 o'clock") physical fitness. In our "stuff" oriented society, if you can't buy it, forget it.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    While I agree that being in good physical condition is important (I try to stay in shape) I am not going to bang the drum and ram it down people's throats. I have seen too many "overweight" "out of shape" guys shoot and move really well.

I could easily ask: have YOU ever taken any professional driving instruction? Have YOU ever had EMT training? Because it could easily be argued that those two skill sets are more likely to be employed than operating your carbine or pistol.

Oh yeah, and before anyone says "not the same", "apples and oranges", "you missed the point" or <insert internet cliche rebuttal one-liner of your choice>... yes I do understand and no I didn't miss the point.

Just wanted to get that part out of the way up front.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    So, now that you're in shape you can thumb your nose at the "fatties"? That'd be like a drug user kicking the habit then chastising those that are still addicted for being stupid. Sure, he may have wised up, but that doesn't make his decision making process any more morally superior throughout his life as a whole.

I've overweight, I didn't used to be. Life happened, I got an office job and BOOM, the pounds started packing on. I'm on a workout program right now and trying to slim down, but it'll take a lot longer to take it off than it did to pack it on. I guess I'll be one of those people that just enjoys shooting and learning until I meet the weight prerequisite of the "gucci gunman".

Besides, not everyone wants or thinks they're "tactical operators". I know for a fact that I'm not. I sit in an office all day punching keys. I shoot on the weekends and sometimes on Wednesday because I like it and it's a fun distraction from the outwardly boring job I have. Can I fix that too? You bet, but it'll take time, just like losing the weight.

Be mindful of standing on the same soap box that wouldn't have bore your weight prior to your enlightenment, it might still creek a little.

Good post, there is nothing more annoying or zealous than a recent convert.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    First of all 90% of the membership here ARE wannabes regardless of their fitness level. As such 90% of us are never going to have to assault a position, kick in a door or do whatever else. This is a hobby not a lifestyle. Given that and applying your logic none of them should be shooting either...of course that means a smaller market to get you all the cool "toys" you seem to obsess over.

Second why do you care what other people do? Seriously get a life and quit living others'. My guess is that you've got the faith of the converted and you're feeling really superior.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but if you're saying fat people have no business shooting on the line with you than you've no business being on the line at all because you're not paying attention to what you should be paying attention to.

Make sure your own house is in order...then lead by example not by ill-conceived, anonymous internet rants.

My suggestion is that you be supportive and encouraging for every shooter on the line and that equating fat people to "wannabes" is a sure fire way to miss out on some pearls of wisdom that some old "fat" guy who has been shooting for decades might pass on to you.

There are quite a few "fat" shooters (many from this site) who've passed on a lot of good wisdom to me. Obviously better shape makes you a better operator, I don't know anyone who would dispute that but for a lot of us getting up on the line made us aware. Perhaps you should consider that.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    This is a hobby not a lifestyle.
    I think that maybe that's the problem.

and I don't think you have to be a professional end-user or a tinfoil-hatter to think so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    Good post, there is nothing more annoying or zealous than a recent convert.
    Well.... I suppose I did deserve and expect some hate mail. But recent convert I am not. Ive been putting my tail on the line for society for over 20 years now... Oh and I do advanced driving, active shooter and even some medical training.
    Last edited by CAPT KIRK; 01-12-10 at 11:53.
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT KIRK View Post
    Well.... I suppose I did deserve and expect some hate mail. But recent convert I am not. Ive been putting my tail on the line for society for over 20 years now...
    There was no hate or animosity in my post, just some friendly advice.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast