Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WANABEES #$%&!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    There was no hate or animosity in my post, just some friendly advice.
    No problem, and I understand your point.

When I realised that I would be no use to the children of a school caught up in an active shooter incident because I would be pooped out after the first sprint into the scene, I decided to make my own personal change. Defending my "sheep" was worthwile motivation.

I agree that not all fall into my realm of reality. To those, I apologize and do appreciate that it is your participation in some of the classes that makes them possible in the first place.
    Last edited by CAPT KIRK; 01-12-10 at 12:04.
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This won't end well, just so you know.
    LOL.... guess that was a little impulsive of me..
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I only give the Metabolically Challenged folks a hard time if they are part of my work environment. I don't want to end dragging some guy AND his excessive adipose tissue.

Same goes for the guys who live in the gym just to get huge and sexy. Strength training is great, but sadly a few folks in my career field are in the gym for personal, rather than professional reasons. Do you really need that huge chest, especially when the medic is trying to find your 2nd intercostal space AND he only has a standard length catheter?

I prefer being a small fast target. At 49, I have to fight at staying that way everyday.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Same goes for the guys who live in the gym just to get huge and sexy. Strength training is great, but sadly a few folks in my career field are in the gym for personal, rather than professional reasons. Do you really need that huge chest, especially when the medic is trying to find your 2nd intercostal space AND he only has a standard length catheter?

I prefer being a small fast target. At 49, I have to fight at staying that way everyday.
    AMEN Brother...

I had a partner that was totaly yolked out. Every time he go into a fight he got injured (pulled something), because he didnt have time to warm up prior to exerting himself.

I am 44 and no small target, so I need to be extra fast I guess.... LOL

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Have I seen out of shape guys shoot well? Of course. I can only speak for me and I feel being in shape will help me be better able to handle whatever may come my way. What if some asshole starts hassling me for no reason and he gets physical? This attitude comes from living in New Orleans where there was a higher than average probability of this occurring. I felt being in shape would help me to deal with the issue and/or run away to escape the situation. No shame in beating feet. Yes, I did have several situations where some asshole wanted to get physical through no fault of my own. We never know what may happen at any time or place. Staying in shape and learning some unarmed skills may save you or a loved one. Just my .02 and nothing more.

Feedback Score
    The boring bit. A one mile run on hard ground burns around 125 calories, 145 calories on soft ground. One cookie is around 40 - 60 calories. A can of the real thing contains around 22 spoons of sugar and M**ntain D*w contains even more. The average male need around 2550 calories a day to function. When I was soldiering the Doc told us that to yomp around and to maintain the status quo we needed around 4000 - 5000 a day.

I am 51. We left having kids till late so I have a couple of rugrats and they keep my on my toes. I also work to stay at a level of fitness to run 8 miles in under one hour - it was a requirement for something in the British Army and it stuck as my personal measure of fitness. I am naturally prone to high BP so by exercising I keep it down.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 01-12-10 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    When I was soldiering the Doc told us that to yomp around and to maintain the status quo we needed around 4000 - 5000 a day.
    You a Boot Neck? We need to explain that UK Marines yomp while the rest of the Brit mil Tabs. Americans road march or just hike.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT KIRK View Post
    Sorry guys up front for ranting....

Is it just me or are we constantly seeing "AR" shooters in the pictures and showing up at training events that are out of shape and over weight?

It seems odd that one could spend so much money and effort to buy all the cool guns and gear to partcipate in the "Tactical" lifestyle, but yet give no consideration to getting in shape. Do they not understand that physical fitness is the foundation of being a good tactical operator. Not to mention that they are more likely to die from the heart attack or stroke looming on their horizon, than from an active shooter or other violent threat.

Maybe we need to make physical fitness the new "gucci" accessory of the "tactical" scene.

If I offended anyone I am sorry... However I must admitted I had to have this same talk with myself at one time.
    I guess I resemble that remark (the weight part) to some degree as I am probably 20 pounds overweight. I spent 30 years of my life studying one form of martial art or another. I wrestled from grade school through college. I boxed for a decade (and a pretty good one at that) and studied Aikido and Krav Maga. Several years ago I was one of the pretty people with the washboard abs but one day while working out, I took a bad fall and injured my back pretty badly. My options were to alter my lifestyle physically or have major back surgery that could leave me paralyized. Two shitty choices but as I approached 40 with two young children I made the one that was right for me. As a result my weight has suffered some what and despite that choice I still suffer pain from time to time despite being sedintary. Does that mean I don't understand the importance of physical conditioning? Hardly. Does that make me less worthy to seek out instruction on how to use a firearm? No.

You see I am not, nor I have ever fancied myself as any sort of tactical operator. My goals when training don't involve any Walter Mitty fantasies. What I am is a gun owner, a husband and a father who takes his responsibility to defend those I love very seriously. My glory days are behind me but even in my current physical condition I am fairly sure that (bad back and all) I wouldn't have any problem breaking my foot off in most people's asses including most fitness freaks.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think that maybe that's the problem.

and I don't think you have to be a professional end-user or a tinfoil-hatter to think so.
    Why is that a problem? Acknowledge the reality that the overwhelming majority of us have all of our tactical need met by a Glock 19? and that a Carbine and ANY associated gear is not likely to be employed? I know a lot of very serious hobbyists in competition and the like. I don't understand why it's a pejorative. I was out shooting with wind chills in the low teens all afternoon, was the OP? Yes I was quite warm.

We shoot carbines because we enjoy it. Now if you mean "hobbyist" in the vein of some guy popping of 100 rounds every six months...than that might be something, but I honestly don't see too many of those people around in winter. I've seen a lot of fat "hobbyists" shoot the pants off a lot of skinny dudes who do it for a living.

When people go to Pat Rogers or whatever, they're not going into combat with the guy on the right or left of them. They're there for their own reasons. Why should anyone care what they are what choices another guy makes?

If his life was on the line than the OP might have a gripe, if he's just talking about a bunch of "wannabes" that he will never have to see again in his life why the f*$( does he care what others do?
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-12-10 at 17:37.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Further incentive to get myself in shape.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast