Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would recommend Pavel Tsatsouline's "Enter the Kettlebell" video and book

powerbypavel.com
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Thumbs up

Prior to becoming a sheepdog, I was a personal trainer for 5 years. I had a large client base, taught classes, and had certifications. Then, while still training, I got introduced to Crossfit, and their methodology for designing workouts. I immediately saw a benefit to crossfit for "working" fitness types.
    Then about 6 years ago I left my city and became a cop elsewhere. I kept crossfitting(?), and saw a definite advantage over other more traditional workout programs.
    I've been using K-bells for almost 2 years now. Combined with crossfit type workouts, I don't think it can be beat for developing stamina, strength, and even flexibility. Unfortunately, if you're looking for instruction, very few gyms will have crossfit or crossfit-like instructors or trainers. FEWER will have K-Bell instructors. Some will outright prohibit crossfit or k-bell training out of fear over branding/copyright issues or injury liability. I dunno...
    Outside of finding a smaller iron house with a small but dedicated client base (expect small or 1 on 1 classes, and a commensurate cost) the best source for instruction has been the internet. Crossfit.com is especially good for videos and instruction.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    The second exercise I would recommend is the get-up, sometimes called the turkish get-up. It's fantastic for shoulders, abs and pretty much every other muscle in your body. Once you get good at these two, there are tons of other exercises you can do.
    Dan
    Wilco,
    I'd like to kick you in the nuts for suggesting the Turkish get-up. I did a couple sets last night with only 20 lbs and I almost had to call in a small boom truck to get my ass out of bed this morning. That's one hell of a workout! Thanks for the info!
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    There is so much you can do with kettlebells, and if you are careful most of it can be done indoors. KB Swings are a big one that comes to mind just make sure you have plenty of room and don't let go of the damn thing. Also look into snatches, turkish get ups, lunges... you can do about anything with a good set of kettlebells... i love them.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    What I like also is that they travel well.

My company takes me on the road a bit doing training and consulting and I can just throw them in and go. Then I don't have to wory about the BS fitness centers at the hotels.

No good if I fly however but since a fair amount of my travel is drive to stuff this works.

She got me 2 35lb KB's.

I see a lot of options in these.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Zhurdan- yeah, they can be rough at first . If you keep with them, your shoulders and core will thank you!

Ras- a key point about retention! They work your grip something fierce (especially if you have ones with thick handles).

+1 on the crossfit info - easily the hardest workout I've ever had was at a crossfit gym.

Feedback Score
    Check this out if you are interested in kettlebell training.

http://www.iwantredemption.com/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Jeff Martone's site is also good. Works with Crossfit, Pavel, and Blauer a lot. I'm hoping to pick us a book or video from him soon, or get to a seminar somewhere in the upper midwest.
    www.tacticalathlete.com
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Check out crossfit.com. get ready to get your butt kicked. Kettlebells are some good stuff!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    I would recommend Pavel Tsatsouline's "Enter the Kettlebell" video and book

powerbypavel.com
    Plus one. The book is great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast