Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kettlebells

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like to do sets of a few reps (5-10) each of a few simple KB exercises (put them in what ever order you like but the swing is a good starter).
    - One hand swings
    - Cleans
    - Squats (second best to the swing for overall)
    - one-hand presses
    - get-ups
    - jerks
    - rowing pulls

You can do a wide variety of KB exercises, but I think it just takes a few done well to get most of the benefit. The others help to mix it up and keep it interesting, but I prefer to keep the KBs simple and supplement with other types of workout.

It's good to have at least two sizes of KB. One a little smaller for warmup and trying new things like the get up. Another that is challenging for heavy workouts and to make fewer reps more effective.

Mix this up with running, body-weight or cross-fit exercises and you can have a very functional fitness routine. Chinups, pushups, crunches, body builders (squat thrusts), etc. Nothing beats getting outdoors running on the road or trail, or hiking with a heavy day pack to build that real world endurance.

KB + body weight ex. + hiking/running = good work out!

Feedback Score
    Tagged

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Crossfit rarely uses kettlebells anymore.

You might also want to check out www.mikemahler.com for extensive kettlebell training info and DVDs.

Try a Tabata interval with kettlebell swings. 20 seconds full-on, followed by 10 seconds of rest, for 4 minutes. Last time I did it, I ended up doing 110 x 53# swings in 4 minutes, rested 5 minutes, and then did Tabata air squats. Great workout. Another good one is alternating KB swings with KB lunges.
    Last edited by Boss Hogg; 02-20-10 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    I got a set of kettle weights for Xmas aswell. Could you describe " Get ups" and Kettle swings, not sure really what each is. Also what is minimum weight for swings?.

My set goes from like five pounds, to twenty five pounds, seems kinda light OR am I wrong.

Thanks in advance.
    Dirk
    Not sure how big you are but I am guess those are going to be pretty light and you are going to outgrow them pretty fast. I started with a 53# and that was prob a little heavy but I grew into it fast. Currently I have a 35, 53, and 70 lbs KB. The 53 is my meat and potatoes I use the 35 for warm-ups or very high reps, for the 70 right now all i am doing is two handed swings and box squats. I can't press it strictly overhead yet. I also do half get ups with it
    Salvation thru Suffering

Feedback Score
    I pride myself in having pretty powerful grip strength, and that is thanks to one specific KB drill. I'm not sure what its called, but here's a pic!

Its basically a military press but with the bell upside down, wrist locked, and the only thing from keeping the bell from rotating is you crushing the handle. It sucks!

When I was doing alot of mma/BJJ this specific exercise helped immensely when grabbing a hold of clothing/ gi's. Talk about a forearm burner!
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buman View Post
    The 53 is my meat and potatoes I use the 35 for warm-ups or very high reps
    Have had a 35 lb (16kg) for years, me and my kid just got a 53-pounder. Looking forward to it! Sort of. . . .

John
    "The matter is summed up for every person alive: Either submit, or live under the suzerainty of Islam, or die." — Osama bin Laden

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

BUP

tampam4-
    I'm not sure what its called, but here's a pic!
    That's a bottom's-up-press. Wicked good!

Is that a weight vest in the pic?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123