Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chance Of A Lifetime, TOKYO, JAPAN HERE I COME!!

Feedback Score

Chance Of A Lifetime, TOKYO, JAPAN HERE I COME!!

Greetings Comrad's..

Yes I am still in the elusive hunt for my own "HOLY GRAIL", i.e. my 1st AR.. was actually on the verge of ordering my BCM, but as chance would have it.. a different opportunity "has" arose..

life has a funny way of flipping things on ya...

went from the KNOW NOTHING of the subject of AR's read:quality guns, WINK, layed off for over a year, broke as a JOKE, recently married, scrappin pennies just to get by.. BUT NEVER GIVING UP HOPE, applying to dozens and dozens of jobs every week AFTER week, to basically my current standpoint..

I leave for TOkyo, Japan tomorrow, probably be out there for like 2-3 weeks.. no real plans.. just living it up to the max.. and the realization of a lifelong obsession(only matched by my love of FINE WEAPONRY)

I will probably catch some serious HEAT for this next statement and I'll be the first to admit, I deserve it and then some..

Obviously I'm going to lose my job..i.e. the recent job that I landed that allowed for this glorious trip and the same job that has in the 90 days that I held it.. boosted my original budget for my AR project, by 3 times..

BUT in the free spirt and nature that allowed this great country to be built.. I say F*dge IT, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!! right?

anyways to the point of this whole post..

My plan is to FREESTYLE the entire trip, i.e. no real plans or options..

but at the same time, NEVER HAVING done something like this.. I was looking for some ideas and suggestions..

i.e. what to do, what to eat, places to go...

I'm sure some of you here.. i.e my peers and mentors here.. I'm sure have traveled outside of the good OL'. USA

So have at it gentleman...

SEND ME YOUR EXPERIENCES and TIPS and ADVISE on how to MAXIMIZE this once in a lifetime opportunity!!

let me know!!

thanks in advance!

with much RESPECT!!

peace

oNe

p.s. YOU BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR I WILL ORDER MY BCM COMPLETE the 2nd I get back!! and also OBVIOUSLY begin the job hunt anew!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
    p.s. YOU BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR I WILL ORDER MY BCM COMPLETE the 2nd I get back!! and also OBVIOUSLY begin the job hunt anew!

Stay home and learn some responsibility.

Tokyo is great fun. I was there in Sept for a couple of days and 2 weeks in Japan. Not my first time. Tokyo is not going anywhere. Stay home and wait for your dream trip when you can really afford it and have some vacation time saved up.

I am not trying to be a dick. Just a voice of reason.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Ill be the voice of stupidity...buy a rail pass and start from one end of Japan and rampage your way to the other end. They sell bottle rockets and beer 24hrs a day!
    ...I WON"T BE THE VICTIM, BUT THE FIRST TO CAST A STONE...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    Stay home and learn some responsibility.

Tokyo is great fun. I was there in Sept for a couple of days and 2 weeks in Japan. Not my first time. Tokyo is not going anywhere. Stay home and wait for your dream trip when you can really afford it and have some vacation time saved up.

I am not trying to be a dick. Just a voice of reason.
    Im with eguns. How will giving up your job to go on a 3 week long vacation help your situation any? IMO this would be a very irresponsible thing to do given your current situation. Stay home, keep your job/be glad you have a job.
    There is a fight, that began before any of us were ever born. It will continue, long after we have retired, moved on, and left this world. It is a fight for the soccer mom next door, your mailman, the guy that bags your groceries, and most importantly, it is a fight for your family. We are in a daily battle not for land, not for resources or colonial controls...we are in a fight for our very way of life

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Rail pass is a good idea if you are traveling throughout Japan. Only problem is that it is too late. You have to buy them before you get there. As he is leaving almost immediately there is no time.

* eat where the Japanese eat, not the tourist restaurants. Tokyo is very expensive but if you eat at the local places it is not bad.

* if you are staying in the Tokyo area see if there is some sort of transit pass you can get. Will save you money I think.

* understand how the transit system works. You buy a ticket for the distance you are going and stick it in the machine at the entrance when you enter and again when you leave. If you did not pay enough when you bought the ticket you will have problems leaving. However, they have ticket price make-up machines by all the exits. Stick you ticket in there before you exit and it will let you add-on if you need to.

* IN the Tokyo area there are multiple companies running transit so make sure you buy your ticket for the correct company you want to ride the subway/train for. It sounds confusing but really isn't as long as you know the issue exists.

* go to this site: http://www.nanika.net/metro/ and if you have any of the smartphones or PDAs listed, download the software and install it. And then install all the cities you will be visiting in Japan. MetrO is an awesome piece of software useful for navigating on the transit systems of most cities worldwide. It does not have actual schedules but you can put in your start and stop points and it will tell you how to get to point B from point A including what subways/trains to take, where to get off, etc. First time I was in Tokyo, in 2000, I was by myself, I don't speak Japanese, and I had no clue but I had this MetrO software on my Palm. And it really helped me know how to get around and find my way around. Also, most stations have the station names written in Kanji (the chinese type characters), hiragana (phonetic japanese characters), and in roman (english) characters. So you can easily figure out what station you are going to etc. Lots of the maps on the walls of the subway or other transit are not always written in roman letters or you have to look around to find one that is.

* If you have a world compatible cellphone (basically AT&T or T-Mobile or other GSM provider with a 3G compatible phone in the 2100 WCDMA band), TURN OFF YOUR DATA CAPABILITY before you get there. Roaming data is terribly expensive. Also, do not use your cellphone unless you have to. Even to call inside Japan. You are roaming for voice while there too and it is $2-$3 more or less per minute.

* be respectful or the Japanese and their land, culture, food, etc. You are an ambassador of the United States while there.

* useful words (ignore my spelling, I am not up on spelling japanese words)

arigato-gaizamasu (pronounced arigato-gozymus) -- thank you very much

my mind is drawing a blank. I don't speak Japanese but my wife is from Japan so we go every other year and I have figured out a bunch of useful words but it is 11:30pm and I have a ton to do tonight so I can leave bright and early to start my trip to SHOT... Sorry, if I can think of more useful phrases I will post them.
    Last edited by chadbag; 01-16-10 at 00:26.
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday01 View Post
    Im with eguns. How will giving up your job to go on a 3 week long vacation help your situation any? IMO this would be a very irresponsible thing to do given your current situation. Stay home, keep your job/be glad you have a job.
    I'm with both of these guys. To risk losing your current job for 3 weeks of fun is not worth it. Why not plan a vacation later to Tokyo using vacation time?

Also Tokyo is very very expensive. Especially if you want to go out and live it up. Doesn't sound like you have tons of money to just blow if you are just getting back on your feet.

However, it sounds like you leave for Tokyo tomorrow so I would say figure out the train system when you get there. Taking cabs everywhere is expensive. Also, if you are trying to save on food there's lots of little "fast food" places and ramen places that are cheap and good. Are you just staying in Tokyo or traveling to other parts of Japan? Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Comrads...

The dice HAS already been cast!!

TODAY is/was MY last day.... left the company on good terms,,even had my managers regional VP in on the exit "interview" but alas even his kind words fell on deaf ears.. as he so elegantly put it..

"son, your a stubborn, hardheaded young'UN!!"

I leave in less then 24 hours!!

NOT having a job when I come back, just means we won't be able to go to the movies once a month like we starting doing when I landed this gig... BUT trust me, we won't be starving tho we may have to live check to check, but it just means we won't be spending outside of our means for a while.. i.e. no unneccessary "extra" fun stuff.. but my/our family will be ok!

Thanks for your input tho..

I'm exploring the rail pass option now, thanks for that tip! seems like a no brainer, just hope I can order it in time!

keep em coming feller's..

plane leaves in less then 24 hours!!

oNe

oNe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
    Comrads...

The dice HAS already been cast!!

TODAY is/was MY last day.... left the company on good terms,,even had my managers regional VP in on the exit "interview" but alas even his kind words fell on deaf ears.. as he so elegantly put it..

"son, your a stubborn, hardheaded young'UN!!"

I leave in less then 24 hours!!

NOT having a job when I come back, just means we won't be able to go to the movies once a month like we starting doing when I landed this gig... BUT trust me, we won't be starving tho we may have to live check to check, but it just means we won't be spending outside of our means for a while.. i.e. no unneccessary "extra" fun stuff.. but my/our family will be ok!

Thanks for your input tho..

I'm exploring the rail pass option now, thanks for that tip! seems like a no brainer, just hope I can order it in time!

keep em coming feller's..

plane leaves in less then 24 hours!!

oNe

oNe

you don't have time for the rail pass (japan rail pass). You need at least a few days to get one expressed to you. You should have asked this question a few weeks ago at the earliest.

Don't be late for the airport. Last trip we got held up and were later than we should have been and got stuck in a line that pushed us past the last checkin time for our flight to LA (connecting to Seoul connecting to Osaka). Luckily we had an understanding checkin guy who got us rebooked with ZERO charge and only one stopover in Honolulu and we ended up in Osaka 20 min earlier than we would have...
    Last edited by chadbag; 01-16-10 at 00:36.

Feedback Score
    Go to Japan. Enjoy it.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vel525 View Post

However, it sounds like you leave for Tokyo tomorrow so I would say figure out the train system when you get there. Taking cabs everywhere is expensive. Also, if you are trying to save on food there's lots of little "fast food" places and ramen places that are cheap and good.
    +1

Ramen in japan is not like Ramen in the US. Ramen in Japan is awesome.

らめん

is ramen in hiragana and you will see signs or paper lanterns outside the little shops and they will say that on it.

Also, they have lots of little places that sell just one kind of food

tonkatsu (cutlets usually pork)
    ramen
    udon
    onkonomiyaki (people call them japanese pancakes but they are really different -- not my cup of tea but some people like them)
    etc

There are also family style restaurants that are not expensive as well as kurukuru sushi places -- the ones with the belt where the sushi goes around and you grab what you want -- that are not that expensive. When you pay they count your plates. Some of these places are very good.

Don't eat at your hotel.

Go to a grocery store and buy your food there. You can get drinks for 1/2 the price as at the machine, you can get sashimi and sushi premade for cheap prices, and also fresh food, ice cream bars, and all sorts of things. Chips, whatever. Much cheaper at the grocery store.

Expect to need cash lots of the time though more and more places accept credit cards, usually visa and mastercard, though I do pretty well with my AMEX as well. However, most grocery stores are cash only.

If you are changing a lot of money at once you usually get a better rate with travelers checks though the fee may be higher. You usually come out ahead if you change say $500 or more using checks and smaller amounts in bills. Actual numbers depends on the exchange rate, which bank or exchange place you use, etc.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast