Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Chance Of A Lifetime, TOKYO, JAPAN HERE I COME!!

Feedback Score
    I thought you got stuck... but since you're caucasian. you could have taught english there.. they'll pay you like 100$ a day. sometimes even more. =)

yep.. It also took me some time to realize that supermarkets are cheaper. and it also made me realize that food is cheaper on thursday ;-) they change the food on thursday so they'll have the fresh stuff on friday. so thursday. all the fresh stuffs are on sale!

there are cheaper and expensive supermarkets. Frozen chicken is cheaper!

you walked that far??!@# man... that's really crazy

you coudn't get some chicks. not with the money you had anyway
    www.cpra.ph
    Cebu Pistol and Rifle Association

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Glad to hear you had a great time. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Now time to get a job and pick up that BCM Middy!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Glad you made it back safely and had a good time. Japan is a fun place to visit. I've been there 5 times in the last 10 years. The first time to Tokyo for Macworld in 2000. Then after getting married, we have been to the Osaka area 4 times since 2003 -- the last in 2009 -- to visit my wife's family. (We did go to Tokyo to go to Disney this last Sept 09 but really only were in the Chiba area where our hotel was and at Disney, with a train change at Tokyo station so that does not count as a visit to Tokyo)

Being cheap, I always look for the best way of doing things. I won't claim to be any sort of expert, but I have figured out a thing or two

My first time in Tokyo in 2000, I spent one Sunday afternoon (having arrived Saturday evening) walking from the Imperial Palace (which was closed) all the way to Shibuya or thereabouts (I think that was where those big building mounted screens (displays) are etc. Also where that dog statue is. I have vague memories of walking around Shinjuku as well. I walked for hours without really knowing what I was doing. Finally I decided to go back to Makuhari (Chiba) where I was staying and found a station and got back. I probably got to the Imperial Palace around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and then started walking trying to find something interesting to see or do based on a map in a brochure I had, and I did not stop walking, except for my quick dinner described below, a few snacks at convenience stores, and a few minutes in a book store, until around midnight or a little bit thereafter, if I remember correctly. It was very very late by the time I decided I needed to figure out how to get back.

But along the way I got hungry and found a small restaurant. I looked at the pictures and chose something, and when I went to pay, it was only like 850 yen or something, and I realized that if you go to the small local restaurants off the beaten path it is not too expensive. Then I discovered grocery stores and bakeries near my hotel and that that was cheaper than eating out. One discovery led to another.

I won't get into the hours I spent wandering around certain sections looking for a specific store and never finding it or not finding it for literally 3 or 4 hours. A few acquaintances had asked me to bring back certain items (mostly manga related) and I had spent a few hours before I left looking up stores that had that sort of thing. So I had a list of addresses to find. Little did I know that addresses in Japan make no sense in any sort of physical way -- not like a street and a number on a street. Some sort of area and a bunch of numbers that no one understands except maybe the post man. At least once I was in the area and asked a police man where a certain address was. He had no clue and had to get out his map that had the areas and numbers in a grid on it and I was only a couple blocks from where it was.

Even in Tokyo station I got lost for like 2 hours trying to find Kinkos. I had the address and no one could tell me where it was. I had no idea if it was in the station, or on a street across from the station, etc. It turns out it was in one of the many parts of the station that had some stores in it. Tokyo Station is humongous.

We (me and 2 guys from Belkin, the computer cable guys, who had had a booth next to mine at the show) also spent a bunch of time trying to find the Godzilla statue. I will tell you -- that was a let down. You expect this really tall statue. I mean, it is Godzilla. We did not find it and the Belkin guys had to run to the airport to catch their flight home (mine was the next day). So I continued to look for it. I finally found it (after eating Sushi at a cheap Sushi place -- was only like $10-12 for the plates I ate -- I was basically out of cash and they were one of the few restaurants that had a Visa logo on the door/window).

These pictures are not mine -- they are just ones I found using Google...

taken from:
    http://blogs.bootsnall.com/theglobal...s/004769.shtml

but in reality

taken from:
    http://shibuya1oh9.blogspot.com/2007...la-statue.html

Anyway, it is a fun place and I am glad you had a good time and made it back safely. If you have pics, please post them.
    Last edited by chadbag; 03-27-10 at 01:14.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Sean Price, you could be an energy source of some kind. I think if wires were attached to you properly you could power every appliance in my house.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    something tells me you will get a job, hey you can afford it, too me live while your young, glad you had a great time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Sean Price, you could be an energy source of some kind.
    If I had a nickle for EVERYTIME I have been told that.. I wouldn't need a job!! I'd be filthy rich.. My wife says all the time... I better have that same energy when we have children!!

Egun's story reminded me of long, and I mean LONG walk..

Got to Shibuya station at like 9am... and that station by itself is pretty big.. home of the infamous Tokyo Food Show, which we knew NOTHING about b4 stumbling on it.. so after walking thru that ENTIRE station and the food show, which is no small feat, we finally made it outside.. Shibuya is made famous by that scene in Lost in Translation, entire buildings covered in television's and about a million+ people crossin in that area on a daily basis..

So walked thru Shibuya..past tower records and somehow ended up where the local's must live in.. i.e. we're completely LOST... came across some university or an Art or Graphic School a huge wooded area, like lincoln park here in Chicago.. and THEN found this one park, which seemed to be pretty busy.. so decided to check it out...man this was like a hidden park/TEmple and was no quick walk.. it was awesome to say the least, because all of a sudden ur in nature.. no more city, hustle and bustle and to thinnk this park is like somewhere in the middle of Tokyo, very DOPE.. but then stumbled out of the park now we're in Harajuku(w/o us knowin this of course) NOW more lost.. and we walk for an hour or 2 and NOW we're in Shinjuku.. ask for directions and basically end up being more lost and further away from where we started..

Its startin to get dark now..,FINALLY we find a map.. realize we were goin the opposite way.. and SO we begin the LONG and I Mean LONG walk back.. back to Shibuya..starting from Shinjuku, thru Harajuku, and then FINALLY to Shibuya..

THE best part of all this.. is we find out later.. we could have just caught the same train in Shinjuku that we ended up gettin on in Shibuya, as the 2nd stop from Shibuya was Shinjuku...

good times.. NOW that was a day of walkin.. FEET were not simply sore but torn and blistered.. it was a rough morning!!

what I wouldn't give to do all that again!!

ahhh Tokyo.. how I miss thee!!

but see I knew NOTHING of Tokyo PRIOR to goin there "BLIND", but due to our exploratory way's I feel like we learned and now KNOW a lot.. I mean now I can get around anywhere in Tokyo, no problem!! that to me is priceless!!

Egun's,, awesome share about the godzilla story!!

oNe

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456