Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: "I can build a better rifle for less money!"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't mean to fuel the fire but I just happened across this post on ARFCOM. I haven't seen any bushmasters in the army but check this is an interesting post, by no means am I claiming that this means the Army has BMs I can't even id the guys in the photo but I am a youngin.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/3...ge=76#i5655907

Last edited by fail wagon; 03-08-13 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fail wagon View Post
    I don't mean to fuel the fire but I just happened across this post on ARFCOM. I haven't seen any bushmasters in the army but check this is an interesting post, by no means am I claiming that this means the Army has BMs I can't even id the guys in the photo but I am a youngin.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/3...ge=76#i5655907

Those were for the Georgian Military and were captured, not American forces.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Those were for the Georgian Military and were captured, not American forces.
    Makes sense, all I saw was a big pile of shitty weapons stacked up and thought of this thread

Feedback Score

"I can build a better rifle for less money!"

This thread seems to be about where it was last time I checked in. Parts selection is the least important part of building a gun. If you go through catalogues and pic the most expensive stuff you have ensure if all your new parts play well with each other. The art or rather the science to the designers is getting the best parts possible to produce a desired effect for a certain cost.

Can I build a better gun, sure. Give me a Noveske 10.5 with switchblock, flared lowers on the mag well, a bulletproof upper with a suppressor break. Tune the switchblock to the right flow for unsuppressed vs suppressed running, find the buffer weight you want, then its cosmetics. Grips, rails, stocks, etc. so you built the most sh*t hot gun in the world here is the kicker. Can you build one for everyone in your company and have spare parts? Have you tested your gas flow setup at sea level, at 20 below and coming out of water. Have wave after wave if PFC taking it apart and broken it in ways you didn't think we're possible "How did he get a detent spring in the gas tube?" And has folks on the ground worked around these issues

It's thinking like this that makes collecting AR style rifles a hobby. For self defense I grab a Colt, Daniel Defense, or Noveske. I want to know smarter men than me pondered my questions and found solutions. I don't wanna feel like an import tuner coming to the line in a 10 year Honda civic and 30lbs of boost and "we will see what happens." I better know what happens: my trigger breaks and I hear a boom.

Sure you can build a better rifle for less but for what mission. These factory weapons are expected to do it all. That's hard to duplicate without a lot of R&D.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmaynor View Post
    This thread seems to be about where it was last time I checked in. Parts selection is the least important part of building a gun. If you go through catalogues and pic the most expensive stuff you have ensure if all your new parts play well with each other.
    Going to disagree there, unless the "parts" you are talking about are not in the operating system.
    Pick a questionable bolt for a few sheckels of savings and you will regret it. Get a questionable trigger group and you will wind up with a worse/non-functional trigger/weapon in short order. Use a bolt catch that is made of substandard material or heat-treat and it's going to snap off way before it would be expected to. Get a barrel with weird chamber dimensions, weird porting, or weird twist, and there are going to issues.
    A lot of factors need to be understood when selecting parts.
    However, parts selection won't do you much good if you don't have the know-how or tools to properly assemble them.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Reality ? Go build your own !

Come on guys & Gals, if you want a rifle that looks like a colt, then buy a colt! Same with LMT & every other manufacturer. Point is you subconsciously want it anyway and really won't be happy with anything less (That branding got you didn't it?).

My main point is that you have no labor costs involved in building your own rifle, and by the time you get your rifle built you will be close in parts costs to having purchased a complete rifle (most will be slightly over due to the fact that "Quantity of Production" comes into play and the cost of those individualistic parts ).

Also a factor that is often left out is that buying your own quality tools does have a major part in the long-term running costs of owning your rifle and is not just that negative up front cost. Again it's labor costs due to the fact you do your own barrel changes etc so only have to pay for those parts!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I've revealed this before only to be scorned and ridiculed: It's a known fact that Tier 1 outfits purchase Bushmasters for black ops to provide them plausible deniability. That way if anything gets compromised the whole deal will appear to be unsanctioned Arfcom operation.

However, this is fairly transparent. According to Wikileaks, Arfcom uses Ruger Mini-14s for false flag operations to throw everyone off the trail.

Feedback Score
    Incredibly old thread. Just wanted to mention that my son just finished a 6" suppressed 300BO with decent components. A similar rifle I found was twice the cost, even with the double stamp of his. So far, it only runs one very specific sub-sonic brand of 220gr ammo. He is now experimenting with a kit of light weight buffers. Problem with other ammo is it either does not eject or lock back. So still a work in progress. Here is the component/price workup: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1159533723
    Last edited by masterdrago; 08-04-20 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sucks to be $1700 in on a non-running build.

Could have spent about the same on:

DD PDW, SBR / Pistol or a Q Sugar Weasel and been running, if buying a few months ago.

Might be better off finding help on the solution in the tech area instead of a 7 year old thread on why a factory gun is a good move.
    Last edited by el_chupo_; 08-05-20 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Incredibly old thread. Just wanted to mention that my son just finished a 6" suppressed 300BO with decent components. A similar rifle I found was twice the cost, even with the double stamp of his. So far, it only runs one very specific sub-sonic brand of 220gr ammo. He is now experimenting with a kit of light weight buffers. Problem with other ammo is it either does not eject or lock back. So still a work in progress. Here is the component/price workup: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1159533723
    Thread is OVER SEVEN YEARS OLD.

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast