Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: "I can build a better rifle for less money!"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    I can build a better rifle for less money.
    No, you can't. You are just cheap and think you can, "just as good", highly doubt it.
    Purchase the best you can afford, but don't convince me your home bulid $800 AR has the same quality/workmanship as the factory LWRC or DD.
    I agree if you're talking about building both the upper and the lower, but I can put together a damn nice gun for not a ton of money by buying the upper and putting together a lower. Case in point - LaRue is currently selling assembled uppers, with all the part you need except the receiver for $792. That includes a LaRue trigger. I just bought a blemished Aeroprecision lower receiver for $71. Total cost for a complete LaRue rifle $863. They used to have a deal that, for $3-400 they would also include a LaRue suppressor (of course you have to do the paperwork). If you know where I can find a new factory LWRC rifle with a suppressor for under $1300 (or a factory LWRC rifle without a suppressor for less than $900) please tell me where I can buy it. I'll even give you a finder's fee.

And this example is just off the top of my head and because I'm a LaRue fanboy. I have little doubt that, even in these troubled times, I could put together any number of good quality rifles for under $900.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm just amazed reloaders don't get sh*t on as bad as assemblers.

I find it hilarious that I can't possibly be able to assemble a rifle better than someone that's paid to do it, especially when we're using the same tools and techniques. Does the guy in the warehouse at BCM (random example) gauge everything like Chad before he assembles my bcm rifle, or does he go to the upper rack, grab an upper, go to the barrel rack, grab a barrel, etc.. because it's assumed the QC process has already been done on all the individual parts? No one wonders how this correlates to warranties?

How many other things in life does this magical ability barrier apply to?

The only things I'll concede are those I do not have the tools for, and outside of drilling and pinning a gas block (because I would want to use a drill press, not freehand it), I can't think of anything I can't do in my garage in regards to assembling an AR.

Feedback Score
    Has this thread really been going on for 13 years? lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OutofBatt3ry View Post
    Has this thread really been going on for 13 years? lol.
    Hey, your an Einstein. Yep 13 years. I only commented because I thought with a title like this one, it was supposed to go on forever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    Sucks to be $1700 in on a non-running build.

Could have spent about the same on:

DD PDW, SBR / Pistol or a Q Sugar Weasel and been running, if buying a few months ago.

Might be better off finding help on the solution in the tech area instead of a 7 year old thread on why a factory gun is a good move.
    Just to be clear, it is not a non-running build. It runs fine using 220gr American Eagle ammo. I did not pop in here to look for a solution to son's newest build. Only to say one can save $$$. He has $2k in it. a similar one I saw somewhere was $4k. So there.... this thread lives forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is a long-running reference thread with an enormous amount of good info. Feel free to post about the topic, not the thread itself. Off topic content will be pruned.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I can build a better AR than most factory assembled examples.

IMO, that requires a large investment in tools, gauges, and experience.

Without those things, I couldn't build better than most factory built AR's.

Feedback Score
    Again, to me there is a big difference between attempting to build an entire gun (upper as well) and buying an upper and putting together your own lower. I am not mechanically inclined, but have put together several lowers without any problems (other than occasionally sending a detent pin flying). Also, most guys can put one together with tools they already have in their tool box.

To me, this is both cheaper than buying a complete gun and enables me to customize/spend money on the parts that matter to me. For example, to me most forged mil spec. receivers are fungible. Don't really care if it has a Aeroprecision, Spikes, Noveske, or Colt logo. If I can find a blemished lower from a reputable mfg. for $40-60 I'll grab it. Same thing with lower parts kits. To me if they are from a reputable mfg. they are pretty much the same and I'll buy whatever is cheapest. Never really had a bolt catch or mag release button fail on me.

However, I do care about the trigger - a lot. Why pay for some crappy mil spec trigger that I'm going to toss when I can just buy a lower parts kit w/o a trigger and put in what I want? Same with a pistol grip. I know what I like and I'm probably going to toss the plastic one that comes with an existing rifle. As for stocks - I am less picky and can probably find something I like on sale for more savings. Or maybe I'll just throw a brace on it if the upper is under 16".

At the end of the day, I'm not only going to have a rifle spec'd. exactly the way I want, but I'll probably have saved a couple of hundred dollars to boot. And I won't be stuck with some crappy parts I don't want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    I can build a better AR than most factory assembled examples.

IMO, that requires a large investment in tools, gauges, and experience.

Without those things, I couldn't build better than most factory built AR's.
    What do you consider to be the minimum stuff needed and the optimum?

As far as I can tell by going through the BCM site you can buy a complete upper for less then buying the parts individually, at least from BCM. While BCM seems to have an early unless variety of hours, they still don’t have all the options like adjustable gas block.

I only have a couple rifles bought is complete rifles. Everything else in the lower upper. Just too many options on lowers with triggers, what kind of Ambi and where sling points are and what kind, and of course stocks.

Are there national guys that will let you to spec out a rifle with pretty much anything and they will assemble it? It would be interesting to see what they would charge.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    - A vice block for the upper and lower
    - An armorers wrench
    - Some allen keys
    - A punch set
    - A hammer
    - Masking tape
    - Some sandpaper
    - Needle nose pliers
    - A small section of 2x4 and 1x2
    - Maybe some other small thing

Building an AR doesn't require large investments. Fancy tools won't make a better AR, at most it will make assembling it faster.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast