Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: "I can build a better rifle for less money!"

Feedback Score
    Jmart- Dean received these to put a Larue rail on. He is personally suspect of anything that has "1/9 NATO" marked on it (as is Ned Christensen).

He eventually came to the realization that it was .223 (you'll need to speak to him directly for further) and used Ned's tool. Dean stated that "a lot of metal came out".

Feedback Score
    Rob, you set yourself up for what you wanted to hear. You made the guidelines as follows:

F-marked FSB
    M4 feedramps
    MPI 4150 chrome-lined barrel
    MPI Bolt
    Then state that all you can build is a look alike.

But in reality a better rifle doesn't have to have all these things. Colt is a stock rifle. For me a better rifle would start with a better barrel and a match trigger. Railed FF HG's and a better pistol grip come next. You can buy a Match Grade barrel with an M4 barrel extension. The difference in price between a Rifle Barrel Extension and an M4 Barrel Extension is $0. Same with the upper. Chrome lined barrels are not the end all be all of barrels but rather a standard.

F-marked FSB makes sense to me. As for an MPI bolt, I can understand serious users wanting a tested bolt and being willing to pay extra for one. But with enough hard use, MPI tested or not the ****er will break.

Feedback Score
    He is a hard core ColtAid drinker. Preaching anything other than Colt to one of them, would be like people trying to tell David Koresh he wasn't God.
    God Bless our troops,
    and all the veterans that came before them.
    Thank you all for the sacrifice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tang419 View Post
    He is a hard core ColtAid drinker. Preaching anything other than Colt to one of them, would be like people trying to tell David Koresh he wasn't God.
    See, this is the kind of response i'm talking about.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by -H- View Post
    Rob, you set yourself up for what you wanted to hear. You made the guidelines as follows:

But in reality a better rifle doesn't have to have all these things. Colt is a stock rifle. For me a better rifle would start with a better barrel and a match trigger. Railed FF HG's and a better pistol grip come next. You can buy a Match Grade barrel with an M4 barrel extension. The difference in price between a Rifle Barrel Extension and an M4 Barrel Extension is $0. Same with the upper. Chrome lined barrels are not the end all be all of barrels but rather a standard.

F-marked FSB makes sense to me. As for an MPI bolt, I can understand serious users wanting a tested bolt and being willing to pay extra for one. But with enough hard use, MPI tested or not the ****er will break.

There are of course better barrels and triggers and rails and stocks, etc etc. I think what Rob was trying to find is if anyone made a weapon close to the 6920 or if the consumer could just buy the parts and build it something that was about the same.

The benchmark for how a combat weapon is supposed to be built is the TDP. Colt seems to follow it closer than any other manufacturer to date. The TDP is a good measuring stick to NOT go below and if you can go above it, then great!

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-29-07 at 13:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    See, this is the kind of response i'm talking about.
    LMAO...Truth hurts sometimes.

Besides, lighten up homie, I'm just muckin' with ya.

...but the truth still hurts
    God Bless our troops,
    and all the veterans that came before them.
    Thank you all for the sacrifice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by -H- View Post

As I've said, better is better, different isn't better.

People have posted the examples of LMT or BCM as being very nearly equal to the quality and features of a Colt and I accept that just fine. I'm not stuck on Colt by any means, I just wanted people to qualify the sentence quoted in the thread title since quite a few people throw it around without ever being called on to back it up.

I think the most important part of your whole post above is "for me", and its a qualifier that changes the tone of this whole discussion. You've outlined what would make a "better" rifle for you (although I'd still like to see the math to see that it's "less money), and perhaps only you.

Maybe I just got lucky, maybe not, but I got my two Colt 6520s for $1k each, and paid $1.3k each for my two 6933s. All were bought within the last two years. These models come virtually perfect "for me" (I had to change one 6520 to a flattop upper) as they are 1:7, original barrel profile, and have M4 feedramps. "For me", I don't belied that I could have built a better gun for less, and even with my faith in Colt's ability to build a rifle the factory warranty is important to me.

But this thread isn't supposed to be about "for me" (unless that's the only way anyone can backup the statement in question), it's supposed to be about building the equivalent of the Colt 6920, repeating every detail other than receiver markings, for less money.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    There are of course better barrels and triggers and rails and stocks, etc etc. I think what Rob was trying to find is if anyone made a weapon close to the 6920 or if the consumer could just buy the parts and build it something that was about the same.
    We were posting at the same time, and yes you have it exactly right.

Feedback Score
    I word it that way because I want it to be clear that I am voicing my opinion and not stating that anyone is wrong and that I am right.

Point is you can't take all of the features I listed and be cheaper than a Colt. But you can however exchange any one of those features and make it a better weapon than a stock Colt. Do you follow?

Feedback Score
    Food for thought:

Maybe the LMT guns are better than the Colt. What if I said that not parking under the FSB as LMT does provides a better gas seal. What if using strait pins instead of taper pins would make installation and removal that much easier.

Basically, maybe the TDP isn't "the best", it's just the TDP. I would certaintly rather run one of Grant's FN bolt carriers, but I don't think that the torx screws are part of the TDP, yet, IMO are better. The TDP calls for a standard A2 flash hider, but the phantom and the vortex are better. Etc., etc.

If you are asking if I can "build a rifle that follows the TDP better for less money", then I see your point.
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast