Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchmade Curse?

Feedback Score

Benchmade Curse?

I broke another Benchmade today...

I got to thinking that maybe I am just really hard on knives, so I did a quick check and found a Gerber, CRKT, Spiderco, Black Jack (old school), Randall, about a half dozen SAKs and a couple of customs that all have been with me for at least 10 years (some more than double that) -- but I have 3 broken Benchmades and not a one of them more than a couple of years old.

So is it just me? I see some folks swear by them... could it be that crazy old guy's mojo really worked?
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've broken a few Benchmades and wore out a folding Strider. I wasn't charged for any of them for repair.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I've broken a few Benchmades and wore out a folding Strider. I wasn't charged for any of them for repair.
    Yeah... it just seems weird that I have such bad luck with one brand. I should add that I have broken a LOT of knives, chipped edges, snapped tips off, broke locks, cracked handles -- but in almost every case I was thinking "this is probably going to break my knife", only moments before they broke. I can accept that if I wedge the blade in a crack and use the handle as a step, the knife may break...

The weird thing is that the BMs seem to just break... really no abuse. In every case it has been an auto: two are no longer autos, you push the button and nadda; one still opens with the assist, but will not lock open? Oh well, they are worth exactly what I payed for them -- not sure if they are worth the postage to send them back to get fixed or not?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My favorite Benchmade (Osborne design - not sure of the model number) seems to have a thin blade and I have numerous chips in it. This knife has never been abused, but carried daily due to its light weight.

However, my Snody designed Benchmade has held up to much more abuse with no signs of any damage.
    The Osborne is S30v steel and the Snody is 154CM (I think)

Which models of Benchmade knives are you breaking?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    Which models of Benchmade knives are you breaking?
    One is NSN-1095-01-456-4457, the older two were BM2000s according to the box.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 3 benchmade folders. The 2 AFCKs have been carried daily for at least 8 years. Both are still in good condition. One has been rebuilt by Benchmade as the grip screws were threaded into the G10 and stripped out after a few years. I'll sometimes switch out one of them for another knife but I always carry one of them in my strong side pocket. I only use them for cutting not prying or as screwdrivers. I just touch up the edge about once or twice a week with a diamond hone and they stay shaving sharp. I use them mostly for cutting cardboard and in the winter I use them to skin the occasional coon that has a particularly nice pelt. I almost always have a gerber multiplyer on my belt to use for non cutting tasks. That said they are not the stoutest knife out there by a long shot as I'm sure you all know. While I have been considering upgrading to a Strider for EDC in the defensive role I am comfortable with the benchmade as a utility knife.
    Robert

Feedback Score
    I don't think they ever made an auto AFCK? I know it would have been a hit, I like Spyderco's designs and the AFCK is a great knife -- until they putzed it up with the Axis lock (just my opinion).

Feedback Score

curoius

are you by chance using them as prybars??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    K.L. I agree about the axis lock. I am glad I picked up a second AFCK with the liner lock and Spiderco hole before they discontinued that model. Where I live it is illegal and a felony to carry an auto so I don't have any at this time.
    Robert

Feedback Score
    R.D. - I really like the AFCK, truth is I am not a fan of autos really, but that is what is issued... it just seems the auto spring and guts on the ones I have had are a bit *delicate* -- hell, one of the knives has done no more arduous duty than making sandwiches and it gave up the ghost!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast