Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Brown vs. Nighthawk

Feedback Score

Ed Brown vs. Nighthawk

Generally speaking, what is the main difference between the two manufactures. I know Night Hawk has options to add Ed Brown parts, and they're both around the same price, so what wondering if there was any significant difference between the two..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nighthawk prices are slightly higher. They do offer more "customization" via part selection, however. That said, Brown is allowing more options, and allowing more "customizing" than ever before.

Of the many Nighthawks I have handled, I have seen more variance in fit and finish; some absolutely perfect... some, not so much. Brown produces a much more consistent product, in my experience.

I have read of some poor quality control with Nighthawk as of late. I hear their customer service is excellent, and in reading some of the Nighthawk forums, a lot of their customers are using it to try and fix problems with their pistols.

If I were to buy a high-end 1911, it would be an Ed Brown over any of the 'biggies'.

Google "1911 forums" and do some more research. Better yet, try and get your mits on the pistols and see for yourself.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I went through the same thing and got a Brown. They're flawless in a simple, not a lot of frills sort of way. You can now get them to do more custom stuff like crowning, serrating top and rear, that sort of thing. The Nighthawks re pretty damn sweet too though. I just like the simplicity and repeatability of the builds that Brown focuses on.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have had two Nighthawks (T3 and Talon) and they have both been perfect. I am impressed with their customer service since they exchanged a few magazines over a year after I purchased them. If you purchase one of their pistols I highly recomment the Diamond Black finish. It is a $375 option but I have carried my T3 for 2 years now and the finish shows almost no wear.

Try to find a shop that carries both brands and compare them side by side if possible. I know Cabelas often carry new Ed Brown models and may also have Nighthawks on hand. You might also want to look at the Springfield Pro that is made for the FBI. They are hard to come by but are really sweet pistols.

Good luck.
    Last edited by WGG; 01-20-10 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockCop525 View Post
    Generally speaking, what is the main difference between the two manufactures. I know Night Hawk has options to add Ed Brown parts, and they're both around the same price, so what wondering if there was any significant difference between the two..
    I am not sure I under stand the question.
    The difference?

https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=1665391

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighthawk+brown

Last edited by David Thomas; 01-21-10 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have both and really like both. Make sure you get the sights you want on the gun when you buy it. I really like the sights that came on my Brown, 3-dot with BRIGHT white circles. I sent my NHC back in to NHC to get a wide u notch sight rear with that BRIGHT white circle on front. Did not like the standard sights that came with my NH. My fault, they offer a variety.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-21-10 at 00:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't have a Brown. but if I did, it'd be a stainless version...NHC doesn't offer one IIRC...

The standard NHC finish on my Talon was very fragile and I've had mine redone with a Melonite and finish application after some further custom work by Miller Custom...

Having a NHC, I can tell ya I'd likely prefer the Brown Kobra series Government model...
    Last edited by varoadking; 01-21-10 at 05:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by varoadking View Post
    I don't have a Brown. but if I did, it'd be a stainless version...NHC doesn't offer one IIRC...

The standard NHC finish on my Talon was very fragile and I've had mine redone with a Melonite and finish application after some further custom work by Miller Custom...

Having a NHC, I can tell ya I'd likely prefer the Brown Kobra series Government model...
    Sweet 1911!

Tim

Feedback Score
    I have one of each and I agree the permakote on the NHC wears a bit faster than the Gen3 does on the Brown. If I was having one built, I would most definately get the Diamond Black (IonBond).

Originally purchased the NHC because of the fit and smooth action but to be honest these are both great pistols that you can trust. It will boil down to the small features you prefer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmundsauer View Post
    Sweet 1911!

Tim
    Thanks. Tim...I'm a sucker for ball cut slides. It shoots better than it looks - it is a dead one hole grouper at 15 yards...
    Last edited by varoadking; 01-21-10 at 18:20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast