Thread: Infrared use for Patrol

Feedback Score

Infrared use for Patrol

Guys,

I'm looking into the use of infrared technology in patrol applications for a p-point presentation. I'd be interested in your experience and opinion on this matter.

For the sake of this purpose, assume there is NO night vision available. Big handicap, I know. I'm picturing an active shooter scenario, building search, or open space search (in darkness of course).

In particular, how would an IR filter for a Surefire (or even a dedicated IR light) work in a lights out setting? If my buddies have an IR tape/IFF, etc affixed or worn, would an IR light reflect that back and be visible to the naked eye, or is this NVD dependent?

I have no personal experience with night vision devices or IR tech, so excuse my ignorance.

Additionally, here in TX our DL's have our photo imprinted on the back, visible by IR. Some of our guys have a "pocket" IR LED light which is useful for this.

Any other uses or ideas you all have or can think of, I'd like to hear.

And I did see E. Gelhaus's article, good stuff, but dependent on night vision availability.

Thanks in advance.

DH

Feedback Score
    Short of getting with the high speed folks, we use our Air Unit who is an excellent source of information when it comes to that stuff. FLIR and NVG's are all a nightly game with them. In open spaces when air support is not up, we utilize our fire departments "Bullard" hand held device to locate subjects. Its better than nothing but not great by my night vision rookie opinion. We just call the K9 folks on that situation.

I am sure the NVG folks will chime in soon. Good Luck...

KC

Dano5326 Guest
    I would suggest you get with a vendor of IR equipment to answer your Q's.

Personally, I will not answer questions on TTP's or even address fundamental Q's as yours... that may in some way enable random persons who have no biz knowing.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    IR lights really need to be used with NVG's or they serve no purposes. As a matter of fact you won't be able to see anything.

So clearing a building or whatever will really call for using white lights. In this case I highly recommend attending a low light course so you can experience first hand all of the pitfalls associated with using lights.

Quote Originally Posted by UCFiveOh View Post
    Guys,

I'm looking into the use of infrared technology in patrol applications for a p-point presentation. I'd be interested in your experience and opinion on this matter.

For the sake of this purpose, assume there is NO night vision available. Big handicap, I know. I'm picturing an active shooter scenario, building search, or open space search (in darkness of course).

In particular, how would an IR filter for a Surefire (or even a dedicated IR light) work in a lights out setting? If my buddies have an IR tape/IFF, etc affixed or worn, would an IR light reflect that back and be visible to the naked eye, or is this NVD dependent?

I have no personal experience with night vision devices or IR tech, so excuse my ignorance.

Additionally, here in TX our DL's have our photo imprinted on the back, visible by IR. Some of our guys have a "pocket" IR LED light which is useful for this.

Any other uses or ideas you all have or can think of, I'd like to hear.

And I did see E. Gelhaus's article, good stuff, but dependent on night vision availability.

Thanks in advance.

DH

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Additionally, here in TX our DL's have our photo imprinted on the back, visible by IR. Some of our guys have a "pocket" IR LED light which is useful for this."

Never seen an IR feature for this, it is normally UV.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    "Additionally, here in TX our DL's have our photo imprinted on the back, visible by IR. Some of our guys have a "pocket" IR LED light which is useful for this."

Never seen an IR feature for this, it is normally UV.
    i'm sure that's what it is.. IR filters filter out visible light, and project only infrared... infrared is not visible, and there's no way an inert object can somehow react to IR and turn it into visible light.

as gunz said, you're gunna have to work with white light or step up to NVDs

Feedback Score
    You guys are right, I borrowed the pocket "IR" light from the guy and discovered it was UV...obviously he didn't know the difference, and my bad for not checking for myself before posting here.

Thanks anyway.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very limited experience with IR but just recently my beat partner has begun bringing an IR rifle scope to work with him and has begun carrying it. He's in the Army Reserve and it's an issued item to him and is the latest technology from what I understand. It mounts onto an AR/M16 and can be used as a rifle scope. So far he and I have just been testing it's capabilities but look forward to actually using it in a canyon/open field search for a subject.

At this point I've been very impressed with it compared to night vision equipment that I've used. To look into a field, down a dark street (we work graveyards) or dark area for a man or a vehicle that is warm/freshly driven is amazing to see how easily it's found. Even looking into a brushy field we can easily see mice running around in the weeds, rabbits, etc.

Such an IR device would be invaluable in darkness conditions when searching out a suspect who's fled into a building, field, yard, canyon, etc. The subject (or car recently driven) just GLOWS at you and it's pitifully easy to spot. You can even detect gear or items on the person, such as a duty belt, ballistic vest, badge, etc to help ID who you're looking at in the event of confusion or when guiding in officers on foot as they close in on the suspect who's out in a field, etc.

If someone were to ditch a gun/knife into a patch of weeds you can find it if it's not too long since the item was on his person, because it still retains some warmth.

Lots of potential for IR in my opinion for night time operations. Night vision has it's advantages too of course, but when simply searching for a dirtbag or a ditched vehicle on a dark street/parking lot, it can't be beat.