Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blitz_308's (Justin) Gunfight Tactics, Wounds and Recovery (Graphic Pics included)

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    First round grazed his torso then struck his support hand IIRC
    He was shot in both hands.

1st one was to his support hand which was the shot that also grazed his side.

2nd one was when he turned, and had his hand around his chest holding his pistol which was his strong hand.

3rd shot was upper torso.

Badguy was shot once.

IMO you are going to have a hard time operating any gun with both hands shot. A 1911 may have compounded this problem.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 01-21-10 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt LE6920 View Post
    There are a lot of issues with the 1911 vs. modern designs. I own 2 1911's, but I'm going to buy a Glock 19 later this year and I plan to use it as my carry/go-to gun.

In this specific instance the issue was the gentleman's grip. If you grip the 1911 grip safety the wrong way it won't engage and you, in turn, won't be able to fire the weapon until you've changed your grip. In the heat of battle you may not grip the weapon right as you are drawing it. Then you could also make the mistake that this fellow did when he didn't realize that his grip was the problem and performed immediate action on his weapon.

There are definitely better alternatives than the 1911 for a defensive firearm. If I could go back I would have bought a Glock instead of a second 1911. I am still a 1911 fan, though
    You can also shoot yourself in the leg with a glock in front of highschool classroom as an leo...don't pull the trigger and it won't go off.

Hundreds of thousands wwii vets used the 1911 as did thousands currently using the beretta 9mm...i heard many in the old west did not keep a loaded round on the SAA colt cylinder.

I don't see this as a 1911 flaw post.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    He was shot in both hands.

1st one was to his support hand which was the shot that also grazed his side.

2nd one was when he turned, and had his hand around his chest holding his pistol which was his strong hand.

3rd shot was upper torso.

Badguy was shot once.

IMO you are going to have a hard time operating any gun with both hands shot. A 1911 may have compounded this problem.
    I was specifically addressing the shot(s) to the torso; not all the wounds suffered.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I don't see this as a 1911 flaw post.

True...you could say its a flaw with the XD as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going to sticky this for a while.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    True...you could say its a flaw with the XD as well.

I'm no spert by any means...and certainly not worthy of posting in the tactics section.

I like all kinds of sidearms but simply view his situation as a "roll'm if you brung'm scenario"

we could what if all day with most any model of wheel gun or auto...

since we are here, I would be most interested in WHEN & HOW the move should have been made. I do not see the weapon failing him.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

since we are here, I would be most interested in WHEN & HOW the move should have been made. I do not see the weapon failing him.
    I think the point can be made that the injury to his dominant hand lead to an issue with his firearm working properly. Again, it was a 1 in a million thing (like a pocket bible stopping a bullet), but it probably played a part in the suspect only being hit once (and fired on twice).

When it comes to when he should have "made his move"; most peope will tll you to not allow yourself to be moved to "crime scene 2" which is what occured. For people subscribing to their theory, he should have tried to bring the gun into play outside the residence. With that being said; if someone has the drop on you, you need to choose wisely the moment you decide to act.

IMO, he waited a bit too late to act. Ideally (and this is pure MMQBing) he should have tried to engage the suspect when the suspect was across the room from him. Had he had some level of training, he might have felt comfortable in doing this. We have to remember, when we decrease the distance of a gunfight we greatly even the playing field for everyone involved.

Feedback Score
    I'm no spert by any means...and certainly not worthy of posting in the tactics section.

I like all kinds of sidearms but simply view his situation as a "roll'm if you brung'm scenario"

we could what if all day with most any model of wheel gun or auto...

True. I've seen so many kids tap-rack, or continuously pull the non-resistant trigger of a M9 that had it's safety on that it got ridiculous. I still carried mine with confidence because it is a great gun, but not idiot proof.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I did not intend this to be a bash the 1911 thread. Use as prescribed by the Originator.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    He walked away from the landing, he's in once piece, the badguy is behind bars, hard to criticize that

If he was trained and had room to move in the initial encounter that might have been a good time to get off the X.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast