Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First-Build Advice Appreciated

Feedback Score
    Was the injection of politics in this thread really necessary? Seriously. What does that commentary have to do with helping someone with his first build?
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    Well, in light of today's tragedy at VT, it has a lot to do with build info. I was simply illustrating why if you have the means, you should buy your gun parts most riky-tik. That is why I injected politics into this thread. Hope that answers your question.

So you joined a thread to chide me about my political rant, yet left no build advice? Aren't you a little off topic as well? If you read the whole thread you can clearly see that I have left many helpful tidbits for this member.

Feedback Score
    I think you missed my point.

Your first response, with all the information you put on places you recommend purchasing items, merits of milspec receiver extensions, etc. is quite good.

The later thread where you went and had to throw in an insult to the President and other moveon.org comments about "illegal war" had nothing to do with the convincing someone that now is the time to buy lowers. If the sun is shining or not, it's always time to buy lowers in my book, unless you're an ARholic who's going through the twelve step program.

From reading Mr. Whytep38's first post, it seems he's pretty much settled on Stag products. If he cares for my opinion, I think Stag is a good choice for a lower, especially if he can purchase a complete one. Outside of LMT or Colt, where else can one get a lower with a milspec receiver extension along with a decent parts kit? Just to get that right the first time is a big step.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake RAH View Post
    I think you missed my point.

Your first response, with all the information you put on places you recommend purchasing items, merits of milspec receiver extensions, etc. is quite good.

The later thread where you went and had to throw in an insult to the President and other moveon.org comments about "illegal war" had nothing to do with the convincing someone that now is the time to buy lowers. If the sun is shining or not, it's always time to buy lowers in my book, unless you're an ARholic who's going through the twelve step program.

From reading Mr. Whytep38's first post, it seems he's pretty much settled on Stag products. If he cares for my opinion, I think Stag is a good choice for a lower, especially if he can purchase a complete one. Outside of LMT or Colt, where else can one get a lower with a milspec receiver extension along with a decent parts
    kit? Just to get that right the first time is a big step.
    I think you missed the point of my opinion, and that is "pick flowers while they bloom", or "Buy lowers while they are preban" . Do you get my point now.
    What mention to Moveon.org did I make. It is my opinion that GW would bow to the Democrats will to get his way, IE: the trouncing of the US constitution.

Feedback Score

Back on track

Damian is a wise man. Take your time, learn, and build the best in terms of function and quality. I built two rifles and am building a third, but I think about making modifications to the two previous builds as I learn more. It is interesting and enjoyable, but it is an expensive education. I am not complaining. I love guns, building guns, owning guns, and shooting guns. However, I thought that I learned a lesson with 1911's (and holsters), which is get the best in terms of function and quality and avoid ending up with equipment that doesn't meet one's needs and incurring the financial loss that occurs when selling guns or equipment. (Now why did I buy that Meopta? I know there is a Short Dot in my future, even if I don't really need it.) It is a little less problematic with AR's because many components are interchangeable, unlike 1911's.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why would you want 12-15 lowers in the event this new bill makes it through? Do you really want 15 rifles? You do know there is a provision where you can no longer transfer or sell your "bad" rifles, don't you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ARinNC View Post
    I think you missed the point of my opinion, and that is "pick flowers while they bloom", or "Buy lowers while they are preban" . Do you get my point now.
    What mention to Moveon.org did I make. It is my opinion that GW would bow to the Democrats will to get his way, IE: the trouncing of the US constitution.
    Very well. You win. Have a nice day.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Why would you want 12-15 lowers in the event this new bill makes it through? Do you really want 15 rifles? You do know there is a provision where you can no longer transfer or sell your "bad" rifles, don't you?
    Yes I do want 15 rifles, don't you? This ensures that I never have to worry about buying a lower again. Yes I know about the non-transfer provision.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ARinNC View Post
    Yes I do want 15 rifles, don't you? This ensures that I never have to worry about buying a lower again. Yes I know about the non-transfer provision.

No, i dont want 15 rifles if the ban comes.

I want 15thousand rounds of .223 when the ban comes You will miss ammo alot sooner than having 3 rifles and 12 uncompleted lowers in your safe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program already in progress.

I went ahead and got the Stag lower because a) Stag lowers have a good reputation and b) the price ($105 delivered) was right.

Also, Coleman Tyler is currently packaging a DPMS LPK and 6-position stock for shipment to me. Good tip there!

As for saving up and buying all at once, that's is usually the most cost-efficient method. However, the realities of my situation (which is personal, so I won't say more), the slow build is my best, though admittedly not most cost-effective, approach.

As for buying more lowers, I already have several flat-tops, so I have plenty of rifles. In fact, I don't need the one I'm building, but I want to try my hand at building one just to see how well I'll do, plus I want the experience. So when I'm done, I will have more than plenty of rifles. Which is okay, because they are all potential organ donors should serious times befall us. The way I see it, I already have as many functional lowers as I will ever need. But like money and good looks, you can never have enough ammo. So rather than buy more lowers, I intend to buy reloading gear. But that will have to wait until I finish this project.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast