Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of an FN FS 2000 ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Talk me out of an FN FS 2000 ...

So I was at the local fun shop today ogling one in VG condition, with an asking price of about $1,800.

This thing is the goofiest looking gun I have ever seen, with lines only a mother could love.

But I find myself oddly attracted to the strangely comfy ergonomics of the gun. The thing just feels ... right.

Also, for a bullpup rifle, the trigger is excellent. An order of magnitude better than a stock Steyr AUG.

It accepts standard AR mags, however, the magazines must be manually released (they don't drop free).

I don't know a heck of a lot about this platform, but I like it enough to do a little more homework on it.

I guess adding a sling, and maybe a white light would be a nice thing to add ... the former looks like it's doable (at least a single point sling ... as there is an attachment in the buttstock, but where would you attach the other end of a two point sling?). How do you attach a white light (Surefire G2)?

It's FN, so you know it's quality.

Just wondering if there is anything else I need to know, other than the manual of arms that is slightly different from the AR/M4.

This is a "fun gun" ... I need another M4 like I need a hole in the head. But any "fun gun" should also be capable of handling serious social purposes ... I would imagine since the FS 2000 is fielded by .mil's, it is a serious tool.

I would imagine it would be very useful in tight quarters (like inside a vehicle) or for CQB.

Interested in your thoughts ...

-slut
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I say go for it. Especially at that price, its hard to beat. FN is also having a special right now with a $300 rebate on all new carbines.

The guys on Tactical Impact just gave it good reviews in their segment "Then & Now"
    Last edited by bondmid003; 01-23-10 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I shot a friend's because I could never afford one. The cons are that the mags have to be pulled out, they don"t drop free (an Emag may solve this), the trigger has a horrible plastic feel to it and it's got a weird trap door to check the chamber. Other than that, it's dead nuts accurate, ergonomically correct and just plain neat!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.

Templar, you are freaking me out.

Your comment on the other thread about wanting to like it is exactly how I feel right now.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you want a bullpup get a MSAR STG-556 .

Man I wish I had a job to get one
    May 2-2011

Woke up at 7am turned on the TV & saw the news and just smiled ear to ear!

March to the sound of guns and kill everyone not dressed like you
    Feedback Score
    I've had some issues with mine but refuse to sell it because it's a fun toy. Nice to have something different, but I'd buy something else in today's market.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A lot of people seem to be selling theirs lately. I've seen guys who were jazzed about it at first expressing serious instances of "Meh" now and looking to unload it to upgrade to something else.

Personally if I was looking to spend money on "something different" I would look really hard at FN's premier offering, the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    I like the FS2000. I think the biggest problem people have with the FS2000 is it's not an AR or whatever they are used to. Then you have people who complain about the price, that it is not compatible with their PMAGs, or those who push the MSAR essentially because it's a cheaper bullpup.

As far as what others doing, I guess it's interesting that some people are selling them but there are so many people selling stuff right now that it's hard to draw any useful conclusions from that. I recently sold my Colt Mustang. That doesn't mean the Mustang isn't good or popular.

I picked up a lightly used FS2000 for $1500 from a guy who was selling it because it didn't fit in his gun safe well. He had shot it once and it was simply a range toy to him. He was selling a few things that didn't fit in his safe.

Regarding getting the SCAR instead, it's neat but at its core it's the FNC repackaged. I like the FNC and I'm interested in the SCAR but I don't think the SCAR is moving the ball forward that far. I'd like to see them put some shorter barrels on the market for the SCAR. With the FS2000, you get the shorter overall configuration of a bullpup, a better balanced rifle due to the design, and forward ejection. It's truly ambidextrous unlike some of the other bullpups on the market. Even if you don't end up keeping it forever, it's probably worth it to buy it, bang on it, and see what it does and doesn't do.
    "Looks like I'm the only one here with a mug full of antidote."

"If I'm standing on it, it's America..."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You got a great price, I'd say its more the exception than the rule though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast