Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of an FN FS 2000 ...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    I'm really really really working on hard on Virginia.

NH = too cold! Lived there for 4 years.

Update: I picked up an FS 2000 yesterday, used for about $1,700 (traded an Ed Brown Kobra Carry for it).

Took it apart with help from a video posted by a user here (in the other thread), I think.

Takedown and cleaning of this thing is very very quick. Realistically, you could get away with just swabbing the barrel a few times and throwing some oil on the bolt carrier assembly.
    Cool.

Start a new thread and post some pics, including internals!
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-oh View Post
    I've had some issues with mine but refuse to sell it because it's a fun toy. Nice to have something different, but I'd buy something else in today's market.
    Whenever the FS2000 comes up I always think of your triple-feed with it...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As I said in the other thread regarding doublefeeds and the FS2000:

If not handled correctly it has been known to produce doublefeeds.

The doublefeeds occur almost exclusively when manually racking a round into the chamber but never while firing. I had it happen to me once in Pat Rogers' Carbine class because I rode the bolt forward and it did not go all the way forward because of the drag of my hand on the charging handle. When I racked the charging handle to clear it, I gave myself a doublefeed.

It happens sometimes when a mag is inserted with the bolt locked open. Sometimes a bump or a jolt to the gun will result in the bolt jumping free and trying to slam shut. But because the the bolt often does not get a good release or encounters additional drag, the bolt does not close all the way and it doesn't fully chamber a round. If you try to resolve the situation by pulling the charging handle back and chambering another round, you will wind up getting a doublefeed with two rounds trying to enter the chamber. The workaround for this is to not insert loaded magazines when the bolt is open. Since the FS2000 does not employ a bolt hold open, this is not an issue when reloading after firing the last round of a mag has been fired. It is more of a range issue when you leave the gun with the bolt locked back for a ceasefire and then insert a magazine when it is time to fire again.

If one should happen to encounter this after inserting a magazine with the bolt open, the correct response is to drop the magazine and rack the charging handle until the round is ejected or falls out.

The workaround for this is to try not to insert a mag when the bolt is back.

I had one situation in a Pat Rogers class where for whatever reason a case did not eject and got caught on the bolt face so that when the action tried to feed another round I got a doublefeed. This required me to pop the gun apart to clear. If it happened with an AR you would have had to peal the case off the boltface. I believe it was with XM193 ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    As I said in the other thread regarding doublefeeds and the FS2000:

If not handled correctly it has been known to produce doublefeeds.

The doublefeeds occur almost exclusively when manually racking a round into the chamber but never while firing. I had it happen to me once in Pat Rogers' Carbine class because I rode the bolt forward and it did not go all the way forward because of the drag of my hand on the charging handle. When I racked the charging handle to clear it, I gave myself a doublefeed.

It happens sometimes when a mag is inserted with the bolt locked open. Sometimes a bump or a jolt to the gun will result in the bolt jumping free and trying to slam shut. But because the the bolt often does not get a good release or encounters additional drag, the bolt does not close all the way and it doesn't fully chamber a round. If you try to resolve the situation by pulling the charging handle back and chambering another round, you will wind up getting a doublefeed with two rounds trying to enter the chamber. The workaround for this is to not insert loaded magazines when the bolt is open. Since the FS2000 does not employ a bolt hold open, this is not an issue when reloading after firing the last round of a mag has been fired. It is more of a range issue when you leave the gun with the bolt locked back for a ceasefire and then insert a magazine when it is time to fire again.

If one should happen to encounter this after inserting a magazine with the bolt open, the correct response is to drop the magazine and rack the charging handle until the round is ejected or falls out.

The workaround for this is to try not to insert a mag when the bolt is back.

I had one situation in a Pat Rogers class where for whatever reason a case did not eject and got caught on the bolt face so that when the action tried to feed another round I got a doublefeed. This required me to pop the gun apart to clear. If it happened with an AR you would have had to peal the case off the boltface. I believe it was with XM193 ammo.
    good info to know. i'll print this out and tape a message on the stock ("do not insert mag when the bolt is back, you dummy."
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    good info to know. i'll print this out and tape a message on the stock ("do not insert mag when the bolt is back, you dummy."
    Yes, I fear someone at FN did not do enough testing. A deeper grove to hold the charging handle in place would have fixed this.

It is a range issue, since this is where you will be locking the bolt back after the last round during a ceasefire.

The gun doesn't have a last shot holdopen, in combat it would go click after you fired the last round and pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. At which point you would remove the empty mag, seat a new one, and use the charging handle to chamber a round and be back in business.

Certain European guns, like the HK G-3/HK91/HK93/MP5 etc. do not have a last round holdopen. Neither of course, does the AK. Personally I prefer one.

As I wrote in other posts, the other big issue is the gun not reliably detonating milsurp ammo. This is because they lightened the weight of the firing pin and added a captive spring in order to guard against the gun firing an ocasional burst. In my opinion this was overkill. I removed the captive spring from around the firing pin and it now reliably detonates anything.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 01-26-10 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

interesting. as a general rule, i don't shoot a heck of a lot of "surplus" ammo in my 5.56 blasters (it's either lake city rejects or prvi partisan), so we'll see. i haven't shot mine yet.

i wonder what s/n ranges are affected by the firing pin spring issue?

on a related note, i spent a solid hour last night shopping for those FS2000 tri-rails online. they are rarer then hen's teeth!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Pics.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    i wonder what s/n ranges are affected by the firing pin spring issue?
    The firing pin was changed very early in the run. The lowest serial numbered examples I have personally seen have two rifles in the low 5000 range. Both were subject to the recall. One of them was owned by a friend and he sent it in for the change. The other was owned by a dealer who probably sent it in.

I'm going from memory but I think there were only a few hundred that had the original military firing pin. I know for certain that by the time it got into the 6000 range and beyond they all had the new lighter firing pin with the new spring setup.
    "Looks like I'm the only one here with a mug full of antidote."

"If I'm standing on it, it's America..."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    interesting. as a general rule, i don't shoot a heck of a lot of "surplus" ammo in my 5.56 blasters (it's either lake city rejects or prvi partisan), so we'll see. i haven't shot mine yet.
    I was having problems detonating XM193 before I removed the captive spring.

Even if I don't plan to use the gun in home defense, I do want it capable of working with any ammo that I might use (this does not include Eastern block steel cased ammo as I never use it).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Pics.

roger that, gimme a few.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast