Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me GAIN weight!

Feedback Score

Help me GAIN weight!

Me:
    Im 34, 6', 174lb up from 168 (took 4 months) and have been doing mostly power-lifting excersizes with some higher rep filler stuff. I run 20 minutes on workout days because my cardiovascular is garbage. Ive leaned up and my strength has gone up well, but I want a little faster growth and Im stuck at this weight.

Goal:
    I want to put as much weight on as possible in the next month, before trimming. Im wont be filling calories with trash, which is making this somewhat difficult
    Diet:
    I need at least 3kcal, but more is better. Ive been struggling to break 2500-2800. I cannot eat a lot of grains, they kill my appetite too quick. Im hitting my protien goal. Should I just add a protien shake with a healthy oil and cottage cheese? More fruit?

Typical diet
    Beef, cheese, nuts for breakfast
    Protien shake for snack (whole milk)
    Lunch: 3/4 lb meat, 1cup cooked rice/ferro, peppers/greens, olive/coconut/peanut oil
    Dinner, same as lunch
    Random stuff for after dinner snack, but its small because Im full (nuts, milk, salad, etc)

This is my current goals(minimum total calories, i want more) are my macro ratios messed up? The only way I hit 3500+ which I want, its with stouts, which Im trying to limit.

Last edited by MegademiC; 04-18-23 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am in no position to give advice but I wonder a few things.

Why are fats the majority of your calories?

Why are sugars three times dietary fiber?

Why are you trying to add almost a thousand calories over baseline at age 34? Assuming you aren't new to resistance training and you aren't taking testosterone, most of that will go to fat according to research I've seen on realistic lean mass gains.
    Last edited by Disciple; 04-18-23 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Eat a big breakfast, a medium lunch and an alright early dinner.

It's how I'm losing weight, issue is this 20 year old bear gut I've accrued that's hard to go away.

I have monster thighs, glorious caves, and lately this monster pain in my right thigh like I've been wearing a tourniquet.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    The man is trying to cultivate mass, not lose it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m not an expert on this, and I’ve gotten incredibly lazy the past couple years, but I’d take a close look at your macros, make sure you avoid the fallacy of “you gotta eat big to get big”, and take a look at how and when you get your cardio. Yeah, you have to increase calories, but not force feed yourself or buy any special products.

The below is rando thoughts that are generic for athletes. I don’t know your purpose for this endeavor.

Endogenous T levels are high first thing in the morning, so thats a great time to work out. For getting big, lift first, cardio after, so that you’re putting your best effort in on strength training.

Back to calories/diet, be aware that lifting burns lots of them. Paradoxically, most people that are trying to shed fat should lift more instead of running more. But, lifting is necessary to build muscle mass. So, your genetics can really screw you on what you would like to look like. To a degree, listen to your body. If you’re craving a steak, eat one. Maybe with some chicken and some spinach. If you’re having nasty ammonia smelling gas, less protein and more fiber and roughage. If you’re feeling bloated and sluggish, less bread/wheat/salt/sugar. That’s a bigger dietary restriction than most people realize.

Adjust your intake such that you can eat 3-5 meals/day. Make sure you eat something that has protein in it as soon as possible after working out, and some people might also benefit from doing the same just prior to working out. I’m not one of them, and prefer an empty stomach.

For cardio, of which I’m a big fan, there is more than one way to get that. High-intensity resistance/strength work is cardio, sex is cardio, hiking is cardio. Do cardio for your general health, but know that some thoughts on how to go about it are kinda outdated. Doing cardio won’t hurt your goal, so much as I think variety is beneficial.

I think I remember you being STEM educated….there’s a journal for this- “Mass”. I don’t read it, but it comes recommended by people I trust.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I am in no position to give advice but I wonder a few things.

Why are fats the majority of your calories? I'm getting 1.25g protien/lb body wt. Should I get more? I dont like carbs and avoid sugars, that leaves fat.

Why are sugars three times dietary fiber? Twice? Whats a good ratio? I got advice to add beans which should help, as will more nuts. My sugars come from peppers and bananas.

Why are you trying to add almost a thousand calories over baseline at age 34? Assuming you aren't new to resistance training and you aren't taking testosterone, most of that will go to fat according to research I've seen on realistic lean mass gains. I dont know what baseline is, but I wont put on weight if I dont increase calories
    My responses in red

1168, thanks. I am doing this with just food and a protein shake 1x/day. The only other supplement is a half tsp creapure.
    My purpose is well rounded athlete. I rock climb, hike, shoot competitions, etc. I'm trying to hit my peak (I'm really close) then slim down for summer to look good since I'm single again. I'm trying to go to church and find my trad wife lol.
    Good thoughts on timing - I was going in the AM and got a bit lazy... I'll start back into that routine.
    No digestive issues and no gas. I get tons of roughage (spring mix, kale, peppers)

My cardio has been pretty intense - I keep my heart rate between 160 and 180, because it's horrible... I have seen an improvement now after about 1 month.
    I am STEM educated (ChemE) - I'll look for that article. Thanks.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-18-23 at 16:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help me GAIN weight!

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    My responses in red
    Probably more protein than you realistically need, and don’t sell carbs short. They give you the energy you need to push yourself farther in your workouts.

https://youtu.be/l7jIU_73ZaM
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 04-18-23 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Probably more protein than you realistically need, and don’t sell carbs short. They give you the energy you need to push yourself farther in your workouts.
    Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever managed to even hit 1g/lb bodyweight/day in protein. I once had a supervisor that gave me grief on that, like everyday, but he’s medically retired and I’m not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post

https://youtu.be/l7jIU_73ZaM
    Edit - just watched the video... good stuff, I'm basically trying to get to the 20% surplus. [/edit]

Its not that I dont want them... I dont like them, especially grains. If I eat more than a cup 3 days in a row, I just cant eat any more. Like I'll gag trying to eat it, and it's not the flavor, it sits wrong in my gut or something.
    I can try to incorporate more potatoes.

My normal diet not tracking anything will have a few days of nothing but meat and vegetables mixed in.

How many carbs should I be getting to make sure I have the energy available to optimize my workouts?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-18-23 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Potatoes are one of the better carb sources, from what I’ve been told.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast