Page 12 of 111 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Got Testosterone?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Latest article in the series covers an essential topic for those concerned about this topic: How low testosterone is diagnosed and other essential info relating to that issue:

"Testosterone deficiency, popularly known as “low T”, has entered the center stage in both the lay and medical communities. However, how is testosterone deficiency (a.k.a. hypogonadism) diagnosed? What is the testosterone level threshold below which you can say you have low T? What are the references ranges for healthy men?

Here you will find out what the medical guidelines say, what critical information they are ignoring, what you should point out to your doctor if he/she doesn’t think you have low T…

What do current clinical practice guidelines say about how to diagnose testosterone deficiency?

The Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline recommends making a diagnosis of testosterone deficiency only in men with consistent symptoms and signs, who also have unequivocally low blood testosterone levels.[1] They recommend testosterone therapy for men with symptomatic androgen deficiency, with the goal to improve their sexual function, sense of well-being, muscle mass and strength, and bone mineral density.

The Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline is against starting testosterone therapy in patients with:[1]

- Prostate cancer or prostate-specific antigen (PSA) greater than 4 ng/ml or greater than 3 ng/ml in men at high risk for prostate cancer (such as African-Americans or men with first-degree relatives with prostate cancer without further urological evaluation).

- Hematocrit greater than 50%.

- Severe lower urinary tract symptoms with International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) above 19,

- Uncontrolled heart failure.

When testosterone therapy is instituted, we suggest aiming at achieving testosterone levels during treatment in the mid-normal range with any of the approved formulations, chosen on the basis of the patient’s preference, consideration of pharmacokinetics, treatment burden, and cost. Men receiving testosterone therapy should be monitored.[1]

CONT:

http://www.brinkzone.com/mens-health...o-your-doctor/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Thought if you guys today while my son and I were injecting our turkey!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I started weekly shots about two months ago. Nevermind energy, mood and overall feeling of wellbeing, I have significantly increased benchpress & squat weight/reps, lost body fat, something that i couldnt achieve in a years time prior. this treatment is amazing, at 41 i feel like im in my 20s.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You guys are killing me. My Dr. Continues to only proscribe Androgel; after two years of it I still don't have any improvement. Last weeks test yielded a 177, yet he still doesn't seem to sense any need to do something about it. I like this guy, but I'm going to have to find another Doctor. I'm SOOO tired of being tired all the time...
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
    You guys are killing me. My Dr. Continues to only proscribe Androgel; after two years of it I still don't have any improvement. Last weeks test yielded a 177, yet he still doesn't seem to sense any need to do something about it. I like this guy, but I'm going to have to find another Doctor. I'm SOOO tired of being tired all the time...
    Your numbers would be poor for non treatment status, much less being treated with TRT. Find a doc you can work. Good luck.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Your numbers would be poor for non treatment status, much less being treated with TRT. Find a doc you can work. Good luck.
    Will, I finally asked my Doctor (when getting my refill today) to either raise my dosage, strength or change something, because I'm getting pretty fed up with it all. He agreed (why he didn't do it earlier when he knew it was low himself) to up my dosage 50% for this month, then retest to see if I had any improvement. When I went to the Pharmacy, I asked asked the Pharmacist if he might have any idea why my Dr. seems hesistant to want to do anything more. He said the only thing he could think of was the increased cancer chances. I also asked if it might be because of my other prescriptions/family risk, etc. - He couldn't say. I asked him if they had others with this script and if these dosages were working for them (he said he'd ask). I asked him why, after two years, this didn't seem to be working and all he could say is just maybe my skin doesn't absorb it.

What would the side effects/risks be that would cause my doctor to hesitate to go further? Just his lack of education on it? Looking above, I don't have any of the PSA/Prostate problems specified above...I like my Doc otherwise, but I'm getting aggravated enough to look for another...
    Last edited by skydivr; 12-10-13 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will, I finally asked my Doctor (when getting my refill today) to either raise my dosage, strength or change something, because I'm getting pretty fed up with it all. He agreed (why he didn't do it earlier when he knew it was low himself) to up my dosage 50% for this month, then retest to see if I had any improvement. When I went to the Pharmacy, I asked asked the Pharmacist if he might have any idea why my Dr. seems hesistant to want to do anything more. He said the only thing he could think of was the increased cancer chances. I also asked if it might be because of my other prescriptions/family risk, etc. - He couldn't say. I asked him if they had others with this script and if these dosages were working for them (he said he'd ask). I asked him why, after two years, this didn't seem to be working and all he could say is just maybe my skin doesn't absorb it.

What would the side effects/risks be that would cause my doctor to hesitate to go further? Just his lack of education on it? Looking above, I don't have any of the PSA/Prostate problems specified above...I like my Doc otherwise, but I'm getting aggravated enough to look for another...
    Unfortunately, the only one who can really answer those questions is your doc. Why he decided to continue with a dose that kept you low for an untreated man, etc, only he/she knows, and you'd need to ask. It would only be a WAG on my end, and it could be due to the reasons you listed above or other(s). I have posted a number of articles and studies in this and other threads addressing some of the concerns he/she may have which can be worth forwarding to a doc for further discussions.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Unfortunately, the only one who can really answer those questions is your doc. Why he decided to continue with a dose that kept you low for an untreated man, etc, only he/she knows, and you'd need to ask. It would only be a WAG on my end, and it could be due to the reasons you listed above or other(s). I have posted a number of articles and studies in this and other threads addressing some of the concerns he/she may have which can be worth forwarding to a doc for further discussions.
    Thanks for such a quick response. The hard part about discussing it with him is that the test results don't come back until AFTER my visit, which normally is every 90 days; by that time, the test results are dated. I need to go back thru this thread and look for and try to print some of the relevant articles (unless you have them all in one place somewhere?)...Since he wants to retest next month, I think this would be the time to try and pin him down with some supporting research and ask him why he's so hesitant. He's also an older doc, and it may just be he doesn't want to try anything else if he's getting close to retirement.

I talked to one of my coworkers whose had same issue (his daughter works for his doc, so he has full access to his records). He's doing Testim instead of A-gell; his number a year ago was 28 (Even I don't think mine has ever been that low); now a year later his is around 500; his doc considers 345 low - in his case the Testim worked apparently. One of my other co-workers husband's get's the shot; she says he's a LOT different than he was when he started...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Brother. They are your records. Ask for them. I call and ask for my stuff when I want it. The results don't belong to your doc. They're yours. They should not give you a hard time about that. If they do I would get a new doc.

Thanks for such a quick response. The hard part about discussing it with him is that the test results don't come back until AFTER my visit, which normally is every 90 days; by that time, the test results are dated. I need to go back thru this thread and look for and try to print some of the relevant articles (unless you have them all in one place somewhere?)...Since he wants to retest next month, I think this would be the time to try and pin him down with some supporting research and ask him why he's so hesitant. He's also an older doc, and it may just be he doesn't want to try anything else if he's getting close to retirement.

I talked to one of my coworkers whose had same issue (his daughter works for his doc, so he has full access to his records). He's doing Testim instead of A-gell; his number a year ago was 28 (Even I don't think mine has ever been that low); now a year later his is around 500; his doc considers 345 low - in his case the Testim worked apparently. One of my other co-workers husband's get's the shot; she says he's a LOT different than he was when he started...
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score

Another possible cause of his hesitation is that it is a regulated item that is frequently subject to abuse.

Page 12 of 111 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast