Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H2O Purification system to take to Haiti?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

H2O Purification system to take to Haiti?

I have friends/relatives on 2 different teams on standby to go to Haiti. One team it sounds like will be leaving Friday. This team is a Nursing team and after they spoke to the powers at be they are VERY frantic about their safety/water/etc. I have been asked to help them with personal items to insure their safety. Starting with water treatment. Ideas so far

Steripen (AA version as opposed to Cr123A) that works with a Nalgene Bottle with a particulate filter designed to work in conjunction with the pen & the bottle.

http://www.steripen.com/military/products.html

Steripen Fitsall Filter (for various bottle sizes)

Katadyn Micropur Water Purification Tablets for backup or in addition to cloudy water.

A general pump filter such as PUR First Need XL, MSR Sweetwater or a Katadyn??

For Group Team use

Katadyn Base Camp
    http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-...dyn-base-camp/

or

MSR Autoflow Microfilter
    http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-...filter/product

Any EXPERIENCED opinions?

Feedback Score
    I would recommend not using the steripen as it has been unreliable in water that isnt perfectly clear.

I carry the MSR Miox for sustainable water treatment, runs on salt and CR123 batteries.

The other option is katadyn micropur tablets but you will be carrying a lot of tablets depending on the time period deployed. These make a great contingency plan item.

Filters are going to be difficult to maintain depending on the source and I would only recommend using them IN CONJUNCTION with a treatment plan.

A high flow filter such as in a gravity fed hang system or in bulk 5g jugs in conjunction with a Miox wouldnt be a bad choice and would be able to handle a larger amount of water to allow for some basic bathing instead of just drinking.

A more basic option is bulk iodine or chlorine bleach and bulk storage containers such as 55g drums or 100g+ tanks. For this setup I recommend two tanks, one for dwelling and one for drinking, so you dont sit waiting with dirty water in front of you. Water should be relatively clear for this as well, even something as minimal as straining through cloth.

Hope that helps,

Feedback Score
    For personal, I have and use the MSR Sweetwater kit which I think works great. I would also HIGHLY recommend you purchase a Sea to Summit 10L "kitchen Sink" . They're very light and pack down small in your pack. Acquire your source water with this sink and then let the water settle before using your filter. Also buy an addition bottle(s) of the purifying solution and an additional filter.
    Last edited by REdTula; 01-27-10 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    Filters are going to be difficult to maintain depending on the source and I would only recommend using them IN CONJUNCTION with a treatment plan.
    What do you mean by "depending on the source"? What is the rest of the treatment plan using a filter?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Anything with a fair amount of sediment or particulate matter is going to clog your filter at some point in the system. Some are designed to be easier clean than others, providing a pre-filter for larger particulate matter that can be wiped or washed away but still you are relying on the filter to clean the water and the dirtier the water the shorter the life of the filter cartridge.

Most filters still are not able to kill/remove the very smallest of hazardous components such as viruses (common cold, some causes/forms of hepatitis, etc) so I suggest either finding a system that can remove these components like the X-Pack OR treating your water with a chemical agent that can destroy these components such as the Katadyn tablets, iodine, chlorine bleach, etc.

Feedback Score
    I use a lot of the Sawyer stuff-- Hope this Helps

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/products.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Anyone have experience with Katadyn Expedition filter?

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    I came across this recently regarding an emergency water filtration system.
    http://www.xpackprepared.com/

Anyone hear of or use this? They also have a video on youtube, which was informative.

Although slow to generate clean water, the technology looks sound.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Go with the x-pack for drinking water. A filter for cooking and other uses.

Feedback Score
    http://shop.monolithic.com/products/...ic-drip-filter

Nothing too fancy, but saw a few reviews on 3rd world travels with this filter that were positive.

I picked one up for home emergency / camping usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast