Thread: 300-221 / 300 whisper / 300 Fireball

Feedback Score

300-221 / 300 whisper / 300 Fireball

Anyone got a 300-221 (aka 300 whisper / 300 Fireball)?

Tell me about it.

I am working on a 300-221 project. It is not going well. This is one of those projects where if it can go wrong it will go wrong. Everything from my Class3 dealer being an idiot to the person I had lined up to do the barrel is not accepting orders any more.

I think I finally have it worked out, but I keep running into issues.

I would love to hear about someones project that well, and actually got complete.

Feedback Score

RRA LAR

oops goof

Feedback Score
    What is not going well with it? The only thing that you need is a new barrel, and as I understand your post, you don't even have that.

Wouldn't it make sense to contact J.D. Jones?
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    I did talk to J.D. Jones a while back. Maybe he was having a bad day, but IMHO, he is a prick and I don’t care to support him with my money.

My original barrel vendor was Randy at AR15.com. I understand he has a real job, and is backed up. I don’t blame him.
    My second barrel vendor is noveskerifleworks. They either found what I needed or custom made it. Either way I greatly appreciate their effort. Assuming something else doesn’t go wrong they should ship a barrel to me on Monday.

I have a JP Enterprises low profile adjustable gas block in hand. (The hunt for the right part was harder than ordering it.)

I could have gone with a 16 inch standard 300-221 barrel.
    I could have gone with a setup that only fired subsonic ammo, or super sonic ammo, but not both.

I guess because this is a custom project where I am pushing the envelope it has been a lot of little issues, and delays. I am kind of surprised that someone here hasn't done a 300-221 project.

Feedback Score
    First post here. Sounds like an interesting project. You wrote:

"I could have gone with a setup that only fired subsonic ammo, or super sonic ammo, but not both."

Could you elaborate? What twist worked with what velocity/weight?

Feedback Score
    What did Noveske send you, care to give the specs?

Now that you have the barrel, you should be done now right?
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    I will be receiving the one and only PAC-NOR/Noveskerifleworks, 10.5”, 300 Fireball, with a 1-7.5 rate twist of 416 stainless, with extended feed ramps and a pistol gas port and threads of 5/8 x 24 on the muzzle. I also expect a common pistol gas tube.

What he is getting from me is $300 plus shipping and my gratitude.

I just looked at the Noveskerifleworks web site. They use to offer a 300 Fireball barrel 10.x” or 16” with a .875 diameter at the gas port and it noted that this barrel was configured to only shoot subsonic ammo in it.

My other option was a 1-10 barrel from (I don’t remember) which would only be good at shooting super sonic ammo without killing my can.

After working on this for 9 months, I am almost there.

I need sights to finish my project. I can cannibalize these from a different gun, so I am waiting until the other parts arrive before worrying too much about these.

As far as what would work:
    Assuming that you are going to use a suppressor, some guys on Quarterbore's site tell me that any twist from 1x6 to 1x8 will work for subsonic ammo. If you don't care about shooting subsinic, you can shoot anything from 1x6 all the way to 1x10.