Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston uppers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still believe that piston uppers are an answer to an as yet unclear question. If there are any benefits, they might only be appreciated by the most severe end user under equally severe conditions.

As a civilian shooter, even the most ammo happy training I have undergone burned about 2200 rds in short order. My well lubed M4 with good mags (HKs) never missed a beat. Any Tier 1 rifle that hiccupped was either dry or had a bad magazine.

I can't imagine a piston set up for me that would be better than what I require and get out of my Colt/Noveske/LaRue upper. I'll be seeing another piston upper competitor next month and while I'm sure it will shoot well, again, I do not think the gas impingement system as refined as it is now is in trouble any time soon. I have been wrong once though...well twice...there was that one time in 1985 but the less said about that the better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MAP
    Jay,

Any chance a DD 7.0 can be made to fit the POF or Leitner Wise piston set ups?

Thanks,

Mike
    The piston uppers won't work with the current DD rails but we are working on something with the AR15 Lite Rail so that the POF piston upper would work with them.
    Daniel Defense

866-554-GUNS
    101 Warfighter Way
    Black Creek, GA 31308
    www.danieldefense.com
    marketing@danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    I would have to say the HK416 is the "Best" based on the extensive testing it has gone through by both HK and the Tier 1 units issuing it. I highly doubt if any other gas piston design has seen even 1/4 the testing. If the system had any fleas these guys would have found them long ago.
    I don't think you can say any DI gun has undergone the testing a Colt or an FN has undergone either. You pay your money, and you take your chances.

The advantage of a civilian user of these guns is you can operate it until you feel comfortable with it, and if you have any problems you can send it back to be worked on. The advantage is you can get a gun in just about any configuration you want

I think military guns have to be totally different. You have to have high quality every time and be able to expect the gun to function very well for the projected life span of the gun. The price you pay is conformity. You don't get to pick and chose what you want or don't want.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cohiba
    Still believe that piston uppers are an answer to an as yet unclear question. If there are any benefits, they might only be appreciated by the most severe end user under equally severe conditions.
    I would have to agree 100%.

We have all seen properly maintained & lubricated standard AR's run fine even through some very high round counts. That being said the gas piston designs certainly give the end user more margin for error in keeping his weapon reliable.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    I have a POF and love it. I don't care for the Predator rail on a "combat-style" carbine, for shooting targets it's fine. Good to hear DD is working on a rail to fit the POF. I'll be one of the first to snag one up.

TS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't have any burning desire for a piston upper. I could see if my normal Upper was unreliable or did not function well. But I guess that's just me. if I had to have one I would love the HK416. But only if they made them reasonable in price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    I would have to say the HK416 is the "Best" based on the extensive testing it has gone through by both HK and the Tier 1 units issuing it. I highly doubt if any other gas piston design has seen even 1/4 the testing. If the system had any fleas these guys would have found them long ago.

Having handled and shot both Larry’s & Simon’s HK416 several times it’s hard not to be impressed. I’m not a big “Fit & Finish” guy, but the HK is simply perfect. Both ran like a Swiss watch also.

That being said they are not available for us yet. State & local LE sales have started, and I do consider this to be a positive sign for the future.

As for the other designs I have heard good and bad things about all of them. I have personally seen both a POF & LW run fine through an entire class, and that was certainly encouraging to see. I have spoken with Paul from LW about driving up for a shoot and hopefully this will happen this summer. As M4arc stated the POF has been getting some good reviews lately. I also find the Colt LE1020 very interesting; time will tell on how it performs. I look forward to getting some real experience with all of these designs.
    There is a thread over on 10-8 forums that I read recently with some interest. It was a thread on the POF piston system but a gentleman chimed in saying that the HK 416 couldn't beat the MK18 in recent testing concerning waterborne environments. The thread is still up, pretty sure it's not gunshop commando/mall ninja fare. If true it was kind of surprising.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAW_5.56
    There is a thread over on 10-8 forums that I read recently with some interest. It was a thread on the POF piston system but a gentleman chimed in saying that the HK 416 couldn't beat the MK18 in recent testing concerning waterborne environments. The thread is still up, pretty sure it's not gunshop commando/mall ninja fare. If true it was kind of surprising.
    The Navy looks at different things than say the Army does. The HK failed the "over the beach test" from what I have heard from credible sources. I also think that if HK would have made some minor configuration changes (VERY MINOR) the 416 would have passed the Navy test.

With that being said, I have fired the 416 and LW systems. I found that they both had higher felt recoil to me. The 416 in particular felt overly heavy to me as well. The model I shot was their 10.5 so it was light as they could make it.

I am all for piston systems, but want them to be light weight and with little to no more recoil than a DI system. Until I see this happen, I will pass.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    The Navy looks at different things than say the Army does. The HK failed the "over the beach test" from what I have heard from credible sources. I also think that if HK would have made some minor configuration changes (VERY MINOR) the 416 would have passed the Navy test.

With that being said, I have fired the 416 and LW systems. I found that they both had higher felt recoil to me. The 416 in particular felt overly heavy to me as well. The model I shot was their 10.5 so it was light as they could make it.

I am all for piston systems, but want them to be light weight and with little to no more recoil than a DI system. Until I see this happen, I will pass.

C4
    When you say heavy, do you mean heavy as in overall weight? Or are you refering to balance, more front heavy?

Feedback Score
    While I like the idea of the piston guns, and have fired the POF and LW, and have friends that have and like the POF, the ones I've handled seemed pretty heavy in comparison to similar direct impingement guns. Certainly nothing against them, but I didn't like that aspect. Other than that, the current limitations of rail system availability is a bummer but I imagine that may change down the road as the systems mature.

That said, I keep planning on getting a POF to play with but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jason

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast