Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 for under $800 ???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just look around, learn what to look for in a used gun as well. I found a SA A1 loaded for $550 used. The gun was only seven months old and was in pristine shape, I think whoever priced the gun made a little goof up.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I think you can get a Springfield Loaded for under 800 or at least right around it.

When you start looking at 1911's you are going to think, oh a base model GI will be OK. Then you go, hey look at what the Mil-Spec has for just xxx more dollars, I would probably want that/do that eventually anyway and its cheaper to get it from the factory. Then you are gonna go, shit, look what the Loaded has over the Mil-Spec for only xxx more dollars and I would want that eventually anyway and its cheaper from the factory.

That is exactly what I did. The GI was to basic for me, the Mil-Spec had lots of good stuff on it, but then I looked at the Loaded and thought, well I am going to do all of those things eventually anyway so why not just spend the money now vs. later. I think when I did the math, just buying the gun the way I wanted it the first time vs. buying a Mil-Spec and upgrading saved about 50% or so over the cost of the parts.
    IMHO, if you plan to make your base model better, your base should be about $1,000. It will be so much better than buying a low end and: getting sights, get action job, magwell. ..... Your gunna love that gun like a family member, 1911's are too awesome. Save and buy a $1,000 gun. You wont be dissappointed.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-04-10 at 11:09.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    IMHO, if you plan to make your base model better, your base should be about $1,000. It will be so much better than buying a low end and: getting sights, get action job, magwell. ..... Your gunna love that gun like a family member, 1911's are too awesome. Save and buy a $1,000 gun. You wont be dissappointed.
    The only problem with this equation .... is that if you want to trust your life with a 1k 1911 and run it hard, you will still need to invest in a 1911 smith to do the guts etc...

If you take your price point up to 2k-3k then you will probably be okay... Even though I still have my semi guns gone over properly.... You could always spend 4k-5k and just get a full house built and then you are GTG.

Feedback Score
    I got a colt series 80 as a base pistol. I just got a 4# action job, reliability job, beavertail safety install, new thumb safety, plunger and slide stop. I'm gonna get sights, a dehorn, undercut the front strap and blend my SA magwell next.
    Last edited by yallknowho; 02-04-10 at 22:36. Reason: punctuation

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234